No Call No Show Policy

BVESBC

As a supervisor, I've only had one employee do the "no call, no show" routine. Needless to say, that gentleman was terminated. It's not hard to pick up a telephone and let me know you're not able to come to work. Some of my employees will let their partner know when they're going to be out. That depends on their working relationship.

Shayne

If it were up to me, regardless if you are a volunteer or a full-time fire or ems personnel, no show would always mean NO JOB!. There is never an excuse. Make a call.

When you do this in Chicago, you are immediately subjected to an alcohol and drug test. And worse yet, in about 5 min the entire FD knows who you are

The volunteer thing...you can't have a no-call no-show policy, thats why the word volunteer is there. Its a choice. Yeah a person can "dedicate" themselves for the night by signing the schedule but they don't have to show up. Honestly in today's society with the lack of volunteerism (not trying to start a fight I'm a volunteer), are you really going to tell someone they are not welcome anymore because they didn't show up for a call? I doubt it.

Now as for being paid, if you just don't show up, see ya, goodbye, nice knowing ya.

The volunteer thing...you can't have a no-call no-show policy, thats why the word volunteer is there. Its a choice. Yeah a person can "dedicate" themselves for the night by signing the schedule but they don't have to show up. Honestly in today's society with the lack of volunteerism (not trying to start a fight I'm a volunteer), are you really going to tell someone they are not welcome anymore because they didn't show up for a call? I doubt it.

It all depends on how many people you have. I used to be involved with the management ("Leadership" was a gross misnomer) team for the volunteer group at the hospital I used to volunteer at. We had no problem writing people up and letting people go who failed to show up to their shifts. I'd rather have someone just not sign up (volunteers were required to work 1 4 hour shift a week) for a shift than sign up with no intention of showing up.

Full time, private or municipal, you have the responsibility of being there. When you decide to make it a "career", then you sign in for the whole nine yards. Yes, there are exceptions/valid excuses, but a deliberate no show is auto-out-of-the-door. And those who are apathetic about it with the, "oh well" attitude just gets to me. And I don't know if it's only around here but it seems like you get them at different times.

Although were I work now seems to be more lax. Sometimes things happen. You write your schedule down wrong or you put your car in the river, who knows. Unless it's some strange act of god, if you are a No Call No Show you should be terminated right then and there. It is a complete disregard of your employer and co workers.

This is a good reason why hiring from within your service area is a good idea. You can go check on people who no-show. Hey, the electricity at my house just goes out for no particular reason (besides the electric company sucks), and throws off the clocks. As already mentioned, sometimes the schedule just gets screwed up. I've seen supervisors change the schedule, but forget to notify the people involved. Those people are still going by the schedule they were issued at the beginning of the week, so they don't show. Is that their fault? Isn't it a lot better to go find your employee sitting at home -- or oversleeping -- and get him on the job an hour late than to just go on without him, ASSuming he skipped out on you?

Chronic absenteeism and unreliability is a problem that definitely needs to be dealt with decisively. But not every absent employee has one of those problems. Competent management finds the roots of problems and solves them. If you're just blindly sacking blokes who miss a shift, you probably suck as a manager.

Chronic absenteeism and unreliability is a problem that definitely needs to be dealt with decisively. But not every absent employee has one of those problems. Competent management finds the roots of problems and solves them. If you're just blindly sacking blokes who miss a shift, you probably suck as a manager.

That has always been the way I've looked at it. One thing though is determining the one's with problems that can be worked with and those that are just apathetic or think that just a 'few minutes" is not a problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.