No Call No Show Policy

BVESBC

We have a Policy that dictates that any employee that willfully does not show up for work is remediated in the following manner.

First Offense, Written warning in file for 6 mos.

Second Offense, Within 6 mos, Immediate termination, w/o possibility of rehire.

Does anyone else have same policy or have something different? I have felt that at times it is very harsh, but I have also used this to cut free some deadwood. I guess my thought is that unless you have been kidnapped you should pick up the phone call Disp, to at least let someone know you are not coming to work. Is this a work ethics issue or is it common not to let your employer know your not going to show up?

Just about every place I have ever worked -- save for governmental entities -- has had this policy. Most don't even specify that one freebie. No call-no show = no job, period. A lot of employers will tell you that, if you don't show up for work, don't even bother to come back, unless you have a hospital record with you. But, as you suggest, it seems to be used inconsistently by most companies. If you're one of the cool kids, or the owner's lover, it doesn't apply to you. But if you're somebody who has worn out their welcome anyhow, bye bye. In a non-union company, there's not much you can do about it. But in union shops and governmental agencies, they have to be careful to be a little more consistent in its application, or they'll end up paying out $$ settlements and rehiring the guy.

No call, no show? Sounds to me like you quit. Don't bother coming back or you'll be cited for trespass (barring extraordinary circumstances with supporting documentation).

And don't bother asking for your job back at a later time. You'll only feel more dejected as I laugh you out of the building.

-be safe

we really dont have that problem on the volunteer services. But if some one does not respond then they get talked to about y they didnt show. But nothing really is ever done about it.

How can you have a no call no show policy on a volunteer agency. They put out a page and you respond or not. Do you like, call in and say I'm sorry I missed the call but I couldn't make it. Do you get a certain number of no responses before you are "terminated" kind of busts the notion of volunteer right?

Every company that I've worked for had that exact policy. Of course, it's never strictly enforced. Things like miscommunications happen, so the reason ("I didn't feel like showing up today" vs "I was told I had the day off per ____" so long as it's verifiable) for the no-show/no-call should be taken into account.

Things like miscommunications happen, so the reason ("I didn't feel like showing up today" vs "I was told I had the day off per ____" so long as it's verifiable) for the no-show/no-call should be taken into account.

That's for sure. I've seen that exact thing happen several times. Supervisor okays your absence, or takes your sick call. Manager doesn't get the message and fires you. Supervisor -- covering his own arse for FAILING to pass on the notification -- denies you ever called.

We have the same policy. New Hires are told right up front, its the very first thing on the list of items they must read and sign. Allowances are made, sickness and hospitalization, sudden death of a family member and so forth, all documented and verifiable. We have had it tested time and again. We had one person who was a no call no show and no one could contact her at all. She showed up for work a week and half later and could not understand why she was terminated and replaced!

Sounds like this is common practice, We are very liberal with absences as long as you call! The reason that I posted the topic is because we had a employee that did not show up for several consecutive shifts. No one bothered to even try calling him, incidentally he was found expired in his apartment, two days after his first missed shift. He was also employed in another town's EMS Dept. His regular partner their called PD in the town he lived in and asked them to do a welfare check. I doubt that even a call after the first missed shift would have changed the outcome, but does the practice of not having regular partner contribute the attitude of "I don't care" possibly contributing to higher attrition rates and increased absences? Does anyone feel obligated to not only call their employer, but also their regular partner to let them know they are going to be out for the day? How many of us would call a regular partner if they were unexpectedly absent?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.