How to parachute strap.

mrsmall

You start with three 9' web straps, with the plastic buckles.

Two straps are used on upper body and one strap on the legs.

Start with one strap buckle over left shoulder. go through handhold, take it down to waist line and come up through hole. take it over the hip and down between the legs, around the crouch. put through hole on other side of board. go back up to above waist line and come back up through hole. Then across the chest to meet the other end. pull the slack and tighten strap.

Repeat other strap on other side of body.

Third strap is on legs. find holes right above ankle area. feed strap ends through holes on opposite sides. Leave some slack by the feet. Go down to thigh area and come up through holes. Buckle strap together.

Go back to the feet. Take the slack and twist into a figure eight. This will leave you a loop. Slide loop over the feet. Pull up all slack and tighten strap.

You must make sure that straps do not come on outside of the board, through the holes. This will leave space for movement.

Once you know how to do this, one person can secure a pt on, in about one minute.

This may be hard to picture. Like I said before, this is something to need to learn hands on.

As I stated. This will secure a pt, with no movement. I look at quick straps and spider straps. They all allow side to side and up and down movement. Imagine your pt's body sliding sideways, when their head is secured to the board. Not good on c-spine!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I heard it described as "X-Over" strapping, where the straps end up forming a series of "X" over the patient, kind of like the laces on a shoe crossing over the shoe's tongue.

There's probably other names for the protocol, used in different localities.

Sounds similar (but different) to what we were taught in EMT school in Palo Alto (taught by San Jose FD guys who had a training video out on it).

Use the long nylon straps. Create a box around torso by (L-shoulder-->L-Hip-->R-Hip-->R--Shoulder) and tighten. Create 2nd box from hips to legs, but you interlink the two boxes near the waist, somehow. When you tighten that, it tightens everything. Person can go upside down. Secure spinal immobilization. Can be done fast if properly trained.

No one here in LA's seem to have heard of it. We just do nylon straps with buckles in an X across the chest, one across at waist, one across at ankles. It's a JOKE...does NOT immobilize, unless you go super heaving with passing...even then not really. nothing to keep you from sliding down, only up.

Not a fan of the x-strap method. What possible benefit is there to placing all your holding power on one point, as opposed to distributed across the torso? I just don't get that one.

• 10 months later...

Our version of the 'parachute strapping', if I can describe it:

We have 30' lengths of seatbelting. Mark the middle with tape. Middle goes over the middle of the chest, take strap down thru hole in backboard that is nearest to being inline. Bring belting up over the shoulder and cross at the chest. Dependind on size of patient you can weave down into and up out of every hole in board or skip one. Each time you come up out of a handhole you cross over and down into the other side. When you get to the feet you cross as close to the bottom as possible, bring down and back up around the feet and tie off. Before tieing off, start back at the chest and take up any slack, (like shoelaces) then tie off.

It sounds confusing, but is very easy once you have been shown. If done properly, the patient will not move. We have stood patients on their heads, and they do not move. I have had some say that it is difficult to work on the patient with all the straps, but we have found that it can be done. Once you have practiced in training, it goes on very quickly. Some of our people can get this on faster that regular seatbelt type straps.

I'm shocked to see people use 2 straps let alone this facy stuff in my poor urban ems system. You'd be happy to know to now that CIDS, or taping the CIDS is optional in patient packaging. The new method! Simply place the patientin whatever they are wearing (including a facy sunday hat) onto a lsb, secure with litter straps, put collar on patient and present as a trauma transport to the ER and you wonder where the systems reputation came from...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.