Carrying Oxygen off duty

I've only been an EMT for a little while now, and I'm working on setting up a bag to keep with me while off duty. Are there any regulations or restrictions on carrying a small O2 tank if it's not going to be used on a service? To rephrase, can just about anyone get oxygen?

I know that I definitely wouldn't leave it in my car during the hot summer months and the freezing winter months. Also, I live in NH so if there's any special state restrictions, that'd be nice to know too.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to become very interesting, very quick.

Anyways, here are two bits of food for thought.

1. Were you taught in EMT school that oxygen is a drug?

2. Oxygen is a prescribed drug as well, meaning a doctor has to write a prescription for it.

Caveat to the above is unless your service is providing it as they expect you to carry it and use it while responding to calls.

There are many risks and dangers associated with carrying oxygen, especially in your vehicle and storage of such in your home.

Who is responsible for filling it? Where is your quality control when you use it on someone and they say you caused them further harm?

Is it secure in your vehicle? Is it secure in your home?

Anyways, those were just the starters as I am too tired to go any further right now. There also have been many threads addressing this same issue if you want to go read up on some other opinions.

Click on the search button and type in oxygen cylinders and see what that yields. I am sure Spenac or someone will narrow it down for you more later.

I carry a basic kit (including a steth & BP cuff) in the car and on my person I always have a CPR mask and gloves.

Not to say I go looking for disasters but if I am out in the middle of nowhere and happen across a wreck its handy to have something with you.

There was a presentation at a trauma conference I saw about exactly this - some people carried all sorts of stuff in thier cars (AEDs, airway kits, O2 etc etc) I mean good on them great thinking but I think its a bit of overkill personally.

2. Oxygen is a prescribed drug as well, meaning a doctor has to write a prescription for it.
I hate to be an ass and I don't want to encourage this idiocy, but is this in fact so, at least from a federal prospective? I understand that the FDA published a draft regulation in 2003 that would have restricted the emergency non-prescription use (sale really?) of oxygen to actual emergency entities but as best I can tell it wasn't enacted. I haven't been able to find the docket on the FDA website or the new federal docket system.

As far as I can tell, prior to the aforementioned proposed reg the FDA did allow non-RX sale and use but mandated that that tank be labeled with that "For emergency use only by trained personnel...All other uses by prescription only" verbiage (I'm paraphrasing) in addition to a few other conditions.

Anyway, I'm not very familiar with the FDA regulatory system so excuse me if I'm being an idiot, and of course, regulations in many states probably do make it an RX item.

Alrighty then, my writing is looking increasingly incoherent so enough of this inane 0300 rambling stuff.

I hate to be an ass and I don't want to encourage this idiocy, but is this in fact so, at least from a federal prospective? I understand that the FDA published a draft regulation in 2003 that would have restricted the emergency non-prescription use (sale really?) of oxygen to actual emergency entities but as best I can tell it wasn't enacted. I haven't been able to find the docket on the FDA website or the new federal docket system.

As far as I can tell, prior to the aforementioned proposed reg the FDA did allow non-RX sale and use but mandated that that tank be labeled with that "For emergency use only by trained personnel...All other uses by prescription only" verbiage (I'm paraphrasing) in addition to a few other conditions.

Anyway, I'm not very familiar with the FDA regulatory system so excuse me if I'm being an idiot, and of course, regulations in many states probably do make it an RX item.

Alrighty then, my writing is looking increasingly incoherent so enough of this inane 0300 rambling stuff.

The guidelines for non-prescription use are meant for public areas such as healthclubs, chiropractor's clinics, schools and dive boats where the AED might also be found. Documentation of training must be kept, maintenance records and a special registration to purchase the O2 must be obtained detailing everything. The tanks must meet the flow and minute requirements and yet be small enough to be safely stored in public. The O2 can not leave the site with some worker who wants to go off to find their own rescues after hours even if they are an EMT.

Other than that exception, O2 is still very much a prescribed drug. Even the "O2 Bars" are aware of that. People in the health care profession should be aware of these regulations but most don't know some of the basics of O2 storage, tank maintenance, documentation, purchasing and FDA standards pertaining to their own job on the ambulance.

You would also have to purchase the masks and NCs. If you choose to "take just one" from your employer, that could get you into problems down the road since stealing paper clips from your employer can be considered a crime eventually.

If you are working for an event such as a bike race, SAR or wilderness outings through your company and still under your medical director's protocols, that might be a different situation. If it is the company's tank that you are using, they are responsible for you and that tank.

The guidelines for non-prescription use are meant for public areas such as healthclubs, chiropractor's clinics, schools and dive boats where the AED might also be found. Documentation of training must be kept, maintenance records and a special registration to purchase the O2 must be obtained detailing everything. The tanks must meet the flow and minute requirements and yet be small enough to be safely stored in public. The O2 can not leave the site with some worker who wants to go off to find their own rescues after hours even if they are an EMT.
I figured as much. That's where most of the interest in the guidelines seemed to be coming from. I've noticed those wall mounted things popping up in airports and (I think) a shopping mall or two.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.