Being Laid up and or disability

I dont know if your local news service covered it but a woman was arrested in a Chicago suburb for leaving her kids in a running car and putting money in a salvation army kettle. She was less than 30 feet from her car and was in eye view of the car and her child. The child was sleeping. I'm not commenting on this.

The city was Crestwood, Illinois. The officer who arrested her was a part-time Crestwood cop and an full-time Chicago cop. He was on disability with Chicago for a shoulder injury. Just like Chicago's FD, the CPD does not allow you to work any job, including sidejobs while you are on duty or non-duty lay up. Please remember your rules when you are on lay-up or disability. Our employers are watching us.

This person was stupid and will get what is coming to him. But his wife and kids don't deserve anything bad to happen to them. Remember all the videos and cameras are on us. Think twice people. Just some FYI.

LMAO! That's funny right there, I don't care who you are! :D

This guy is obviously too stupid, even to be a cop. It would take a pretty good union to get him out of being sacked for Workman's Comp fraud, which is what he has apparently committed. He deserves what he's got coming to him.

On the other hand, comp pay sucks hard. It is definitely not as good as your normal salary. And, I do understand the desire to do whatever you can to supplement that, when you are used to a certain salary. Especially if you have a family to support. I know, cuz I've been there. But I suspect he has disability insurance from CPD, which would make up for that salary difference, so it sounds like he's just being a wanker.

Take it from someone who is disabled. Time and time again. I have thoughts of some house fire with someone yelling for their babies. Am I or am I not going to do something? If I come across a bad MVA and no EMS is there, what am I going to do? In trouble or not I'm going to do something, even things I can't do anymore if I have to. But this cat in the fore mentioned story...give me a break.

Take it from someone who is disabled. Time and time again. I have thoughts of some house fire with someone yelling for their babies. Am I or am I not going to do something? If I come across a bad MVA and no EMS is there, what am I going to do? In trouble or not I'm going to do something, even things I can't do anymore if I have to. But this cat in the fore mentioned story...give me a break.

Dang .... wrong thread ..... I thought it said BEING LAID .... mybad? :oops:

Side note to firedoc if I were screwed up in a wreck, would be gosh darn happy some one stopped ..... THAT IS the ticket !

cheers

Try this one:

I was coming from physical therapy, and went into a bank for some cash, prior to going to my light duty posting, after I tore my meniscus, but prior to surgery. I was wearing the duty jacket, which says FDNY and EMT on it.

The guy on the line ahead of me suddenly collapsed, and fell backwards! I somehow managed to catch him, and ease him to the floor, then gave bank staffers orders to call 9-1-1, as I positioned him.

As the bank people told 9-1-1 that an off duty personnel was working the patient, they sent both BLS, ALS, and the area supervisor.

It is a bit awkward, being on one knee, taking a pulse with one hand, while balancing yourself with a cane in the other, when one is not supposed to be doing any active patient care, and both EMTs and the supervisor know you, as you used to partner with them!

Fun!

They understood the position I was in, and played it down, although I spoke with the Line Of Duty Injury coordinator later that same day to make sure I had not risked my benefits by that guy falling into my arms.

Hey, what would youze guyz had done, under like circumstances, let the guy fall?

The rule of thumb is and always has been, that if you're too 'laid up' to do your 'regular job', you're too 'laid up' to do your 'side jobs' as well.

When I was laid up with that aneurysm, I couldn't do ANYTHING for gainful employment, and in fact, the fire department I was on wouldn't even let me attend the training sessions to just sit in and have some company.

Yes, it sucks ass being laid up...(especially for any serious amount of time), but if you've ever been laid up ( as I am now), with no income, that 'measly workers comp' pay comes in REAL handy in trying to keep the lights/heat on and food on the table! So you have to ask yourself...."Why risk losing it?"

Yeah, that's exactly how both my attorneys and my employers have explained it to me when injured. Nothing that even looks like work. That means don't come visiting or hanging out at the station, because simply answering a phone or washing your own dirty coffee cup can be misconstrued as 'work". It also ESPECIALLY means no playing volly firemonkey or cop, even if unpaid. You're seriously risking your entire compensation status if you do.

I'm here to tell you, though -- as I am sure that firedoc and LS will confirm -- being retired, even temporarily, is not all it's cracked up to be. It gets real old, real fast, even if the money is okay. I'd give all the money back to have not had to leave my job. I totally understand being restless and feeling like you have to "do something", but you have to resist that urge. This cop guy should have known better. And, of course, if neither his employer nor his attorney told him that, they suck.

when i had shunt surgeries my fd said no waaay you are on leave with work so ur not runnin calls,doin trainin til the docs say its cool

it sucked i wanted to run so bad didint happen though my hubby could but all i could do was watch n wait for the dr to clear me

it sucks but when its the rules it s the rules yes the leave from work was paid so i had alot to lose did i miss runnin yess but i followed thed rules had no choice

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.