Self Intubation

Well, now I have seen it all. While attending an EMS Conference this weekend, one of the presenters shared this unbelievable video with us. The man in the video is a doctor. At least it gave us a good laugh.

Enjoy!

Hope this works

Link on this one for dropping a different type tube down the throat. I am amazed this woman doesn't gag.

Ahh yes the two things I look for in a woman....A little black dress, and a lack of a gag reflex. :lol:

Well, now I have seen it all. While attending an EMS Conference this weekend, one of the presenters shared this unbelievable video with us. The man in the video is a doctor. At least it gave us a good laugh.

Enjoy!

Hope this works

I bet he is REAL popular in the bathhouses! :twisted:

One of the things I've always wondered about the ComboTubes, and devices like them, but have never heard addressed...though it nearly was in the first video....

With the cuff inflated in the esophagus, it seems that there are a lot of opportunities for damage if it's vomited against strongly. That seems like a silly risk with dire, long lasting consequences if it goes wrong.

Once again, this is one of those questions that seem pretty obvious, so as I've not heard it mentioned in the many 'rescue airway' threads, I'm guessing there's something pretty simple that I'm missing.

This is what I see...The cuff is inflated, a full belly attempts to eject it's contents and the tube is forced out of the esophagus and airway control fails. Or the cuff holds, causing distention, and possible tearing, leading to a whole ream of possible issues.

I've sometimes thought, "Well, perhaps you don't vomit so violently when obtunded or unresponsive?" But then of course there are the gazillions of stories of crews cleaning the roof of the ambulance after some coronary/head trauma runs....

So is there some physiological safe guard that I'm failing to see that takes over when unstoppable emeses meets immovable airway device?

Dwayne

Well, I believe that's why most protocols require that the patient be unconscious, unresponsive, and absent a gag reflex before the device is to be used. You make a good point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.