Quitting Smoking

Well, I am on day 27 smoke free with Chantix! I am going to do the full course of the meds this time. Hopefully I wont back slide again! Had about a week of messed up sleep, but then it has been smooth sailing ever since.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am on day 27 smoke free with Chantix! I am going to do the full course of the meds this time. Hopefully I wont back slide again! Had about a week of messed up sleep, but then it has been smooth sailing ever since.

Hang in there. Think of it as a pay raise.

I started smoking when I was 15 yrs old and smoked for 15 years. I quit for 7 years. Did not have a single smoke. I started again and smoked for another 10. I quit again 3 years ago. With a 25 year pack history, I pushed it to the limit. Another year or two and I am sure I would have said goodbye to the robust good health I have enjoyed my entire life. They say you don't know what you have until it's gone, but I have managed to avoid big regrets. I figure I dodged a HUGE bullet with this one. That being said, one of the ways I was able to quit was to promise myself that I would start smoking again on my 80th birthday. That seems to mollify the junkie that lives in my head. Good luck to all you who have quit and to those still smoking - wise up... never stop trying to quit.

one of the ways I was able to quit was to promise myself that I would start smoking again on my 80th birthday. That seems to mollify the junkie that lives in my head. never stop trying to quit.

Funny about that, I did the same thing. I said I would let myself smoke at 65 (this was when I was 35) well I am now 63 but doubt I will start again at 65. (To tell you the truth I am sure I would be addicted again with one cigarette ) I think this idea is worth a try.

• 8 months later...

As the original post was as my old identity on here *no I don't have multiple personalities..... shhhhhhh I'm typing here* I was smoke free for 5 months, then I moved up north away from my home and support networks and started again the day I moved up. I am angry at myself for it, but nearly a year later (May 15th will be the exact date) I am still smoking. Though cut down considerably, I am still smoking. Time to go with the patch therapy, I am feeling breathless alot more now and want the money from smokes to go to a gym membership so I can be that buff Scotty that the women oh so love lol.

I feel saddened going through the old posts and finding that post from over a year ago and to see myself now, its made me determined now. I can't let myself get like this ever again.

Scotty

I have been on the chanex for 5 days now. I did quit on it before but decided to put myself in the very stressfull situation of getting married and started again after 3 months of quiting. I went through all the guilt ect but realized that I could quit again. Never quit quitting.

Since chanex has had such bad press i thought it would be a good idea to let other know what I go through on the drug. I do recommend this drug to other as it does work well except for firedoc. The first thing that I say to those considering the drug is to make sure that you let your family and friends know that you are taking this drug so that they can pick up any red flags. I let everyone around me know from co-workers to my sons. Also it took me 6 week of the drugs to quit and on the instructions it says you should quit in about 8 days, so it you dont quit on day 8 dont worry your on the drug for approx 3 months anyways.

all my symptoms are as follows.

Gas

Constipation

Upset tummy about 1/2 hour after taking pills

Tired and I mean drag your ass out of bed tired

Vivid dreams (mostly sexual thats a plus)

Cranky more that usual but that is from the withdrawls as far as I can figure out

A small amount of depression

Dry mouth (this makes cigs taste so bad)

The reason I decided to quit smoking again is because when I did before I did feel better and not SOB at anytime and Iv had the grandmother feelings and truely want to around to see them born and grown up.

My husband quit one day and I didn't even know for about a month. He is a lucky guy as he did it 10 years ago. In that 10 years he has smoked 3 cigarettes and a couple of cigars.

Dearest BOY TOY we know you can quit but you just havn't found the reason for you to do it. There are many ways to try quitting and you may not have found it yet. I wish the best of luck because Im sure you to would love to be a part of your grand kids lives even if it is a long way away in your future.

Dearest Mother you also will find the way for you to quit. Im proud of your 11 days of not smoking maybe next time it will be 12.

Okay, so I am more of a "ritual" smoker than nicotine. When I quit before(3 friggin times) I never got any s/s except a productive cough for a few weeks that the dr said was my lungs trying to clear out. I've been having serious sob for about two weeks now and some occasional chest pains(I'm not sure if these are lung or muscle related, but I'm pretty sure they aren't cardiac). So, basically, I'm at a point were I know I have to quit and soon. Problem is, I can't. Since I don't smoke around my children that's my opportunity to get some me time. It's also what keeps me call in traffic if they aren't there. And if I have to smoke after I eat or I feel like my food doesn't settle right. I don't have health insurance so anything requiring a doctor/pharmacy is pretty much out. I've actually looked into hypnosis, but don't want to find out it's a bunch of hocus pocus and be out a lot money that I'll have to sell off my aquariums to get. Then I'd be left without my main hobby too. Any suggestions? Are there any programs that will help with the cost of Chantix? Since it looks promising I'll sell the tanks to cover the cost of the dr visit if I can find a way to cover the medication, too.

Congrats to those who have quit and good luck to those that are still trying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.