Update: Medic band REALLY banned

Top O' the mahrnin' to ya,

Okay folks, first off, thanks for all of the replies to the previous thread about the decision to prevent the FDNY EMS Pipes & Drums band from marching in the St. Patrick'sDay parade. Especially WelshMedic, your reply really cracked me upSo here's what happened. Our band manager and various other people related to it and our union met with Chief Cassano, the head of the Emerald Society, Billy Nolan, and apparently whoever else had a few minutes to kill this afternoon.

Apparently the band is really banned. As in the parade organizers have been told to block them if they attempt to play. Billy Nolan's reply to our band's leader was:

"To The Members of the FDNY EMS Pipes and Drums Band;

I am reaching out to you directly to try to eliminate any miscommunications with regards to the New York City St. Patrick's Day Parade. As I am sure you are aware, there has been considerable controversy in the past between the FDNY Emerald Society and The St. Patrick's Day Parade Committee. Last year's parade saw the Emerald Society moved from our traditional place in the parade as punishment for an unwelcome contingent marching within our ranks and carrying a banner in 2006. Our efforts to prevent this punishment was not successful. Through an ongoing dialogue with The St. Patrick's Day Parade Committee, we were able to have our society returned to our proper place in the line of march this year. This came with conditions that were mandated by the committee to prevent another violation of their rules. Among those conditions are a provision that we would not allow any other units to join us as well as following the parade committee's rule of only one banner per marching unit.

I understand that the parade committee has denied your request to march this year and I am disappointed for you and your members, however, if we allow your contingent to join us we will definitely suffer the consequences. This has been made crystal clear to us. We are under the "microscope" of the parade committee and we do not want to give them any reason to retaliate against us. I believe that if your unit insists on marching without affiliation papers from the parade committee, you will negatively impact any opportunity your members will have in obtaining your own place in the future parades. Members of the FDNY EMS divisions have a place in the line of march within our ranks just as all of the divisions of the Fire Department have. I hope that your members can appreciate the delicate position we are in and respect our request that your band do not march as their own unit.

Yours Fraternally,

Billy Nolan, President"

'nuther words, since our so-called heros have acted so reprehensibly in the past, falling down drunk on the parade route, making out with anything with a pair of boobs along the way, and generally moving along like a herd of cattle in a pasture along the parade route, you guys don't get to play, because you're part of us but not really cuz you don't get it the brotherhood, man.

All I can say is that not since Ted Kennedy have I been so ashamed to be of Irish heritage. If any body on here will actually be at the St. Patrick's Day parade in NYC, PM me, because we are going to need a lot of support. Sometimes you do have to show them exactly what's under your kilt.

You know they could always pull a Patton. At the end of the Parade they could set and play from the sidelines as FDNY's Bravest pass on by. It would be cool to do at the end of the parade so the press coverage would be low but they could still make a statement.

do you think maybe a leak of the letter to the press might help? as in that they are denying the FDNY members marching? Must be some still pro 9/11 supporters out there?

I think I'll stick to just having a quiet beer on st paddys day here in little NZ :D

Scotty

do you think maybe a leak of the letter to the press might help? as in that they are denying the FDNY members marching? Must be some still pro 9/11 supporters out there?

I think I'll stick to just having a quiet beer on st paddys day here in little NZ :D

Scotty

Maybe, but currently, compared to our Governor playing hide the veto stamp with high price hookers, we kind of pale in comparison for newsworthiness.

I don't get why you're ashamed.

I mean it really blows. I know this is a huge event for you guys and it would make me furious that the FDNY band farked it all up for you guys, but the letter kind of makes sense...at least this way you'll be able to participate in later years. It's tactically working it out to fix FDNY's mistake.

Edit: changed meant --> mean

I don't get why you're ashamed.

I meant it really blows. I know this is a huge event for you guys and it would make me furious that the FDNY band farked it all up for you guys, but the letter kind of makes sense...at least this way you'll be able to participate in later years. It's tactically working it out to fix FDNY's mistake.

Yep, you're definitely from L.A.

Maybe we'll all sit down and try to understand each other's feelings utilizing a talking stick, some aroma therapy and some chai tea in the process.

You know they could always pull a Patton. At the end of the Parade they could set and play from the sidelines as FDNY's Bravest pass on by. It would be cool to do at the end of the parade so the press coverage would be low but they could still make a statement.

Ooooh! I like that idea! Set up on the sidelines at a strategic point, spread out, and drown the monkey band out as they pass! :D

I think I'd forge an alliance with the NYPD pipe and drums though, because this is gong to result in a brawl, drunken or othewise.

Ooooh! I like that idea! Set up on the sidelines at a strategic point, spread out, and drown the monkey band out as they pass! :D

I think I'd forge an alliance with the NYPD pipe and drums though, because this is gong to result in a brawl, drunken or othewise.

No, its okay, were bringing Anthony in to mediate. "PEOPLE! PLEASE! COME ON! WE ALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK! HEY! EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! THAT IS NOT RESPECTING EACH OTHER'S BOUNDARIES, OKAY? AND...HEY! WHO THREW THAT?" :lol:

Or go cause trouble and get banned from the parade forever. Whatevs. I mean seriously, sometimes ownage is more fun than getting your original goal. I'm cool with that as long as one admits it...just don't complain later on. But plenty of times I've given up original goal just for pay back satisfaction :D

No, its okay, were bringing Anthony in to mediate. "PEOPLE! PLEASE! COME ON! WE ALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK! HEY! EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! THAT IS NOT RESPECTING EACH OTHER'S BOUNDARIES, OKAY? AND...HEY! WHO THREW THAT?" Laughing
I prefer the walk softly, but carry a big stick method. People, please calm down. *GSWs to the knees* Sir, I said please quiet down.

Aggressiveness is (usually) useless...UNLESS doing it for fun...which I honestly enjoy. But as a way of achieving a goal usually, eh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.