NASCAR EMS

Although I am not a fan of NASCAR, absolutely despise it, I would enjoy a job like this if one were created.

I think it is a neat concept and the article makes some very valid points regarding different states having different rules, so there are always inconsistencies regarding level of care available and knowledge/education of the provider on scene.

Here is the link for the full story:

http://insiderracingnews.com/Writers/RG/030708.html

That would definitely be a cool job. More importantly, I agree that it is necessary for NASCAR to have their own medical team. I would venture a guess that EMS is currently provided by the crews local to that track. I would imagine that the local crews also get a considerable donation/paycheck for being there and that's one of the issues holding back a dedicated NASCAR team. Another issue would be legal responsibility. If someone gets disabled permanently due to care, wouldn't that put NASCAR's ass on the line?

I'm not sure why NASCAR hasn't gone to this sort of system. It only makes sense. I remember them talking about it right after Dale Earnhardt Sr. died, but nothing was ever done to fix the problem. We have Tactical Medics for extreme Law Enforcement situations. So NASCAR should develop a NASCAR EMS team that travels around with them for extreme vehicle situations.

considering the nature of the sport and the dangers it would be very smart to have a ems team just for the track might make it miserable fo the locals but then again they could still be utilized if needed

it is something over due esp due to the danger and possiblities the sport has for crashes ,injuries and so on

I work the Watkins Glen International track. I think that a NASCAR EMS team is a wonderful idea. However I have to question what exactly is going on at these particular tracks. We have training every year....sponsered and directed by NASCAR itself. My organization is under a contract with WGI and NASCAR to provide emergency care. Other local EMS organizations are then contracted by my organization to help cover big events like IRL and NASCAR. Local fire depts and rescue teams are also contracted.

The training that we go through is not all fun and games. Rescue teams are trained on the cars and their components ie: which bars can be cut and which ones cant. Medical teams are taught how to get a driver out on a backboard. Its not as easy at it looks. As we all have been in tight situations inside a wrecked car, imagine your room cut to a third, you have gear shirfts and roll bars to deal with. The steering wheel comes off and there is a kill switch for the engine and the fuel pumps. NOW....contend with a pissed off driver....his helmet (which doesnt come off until he is IN the ambulance), the HANS device which CANT come off till he is out of the car and in the ambulance because its locked into the seat.

Now...there was statement made in that article by a driver that was hanging upside down in his car..and his complaint was that they didnt put it back on its wheels so he could get out on his own. We dont do that. We dont do that on the street and we dont do that on the track either. Most of the time drivers can get out of their cars with little or no help from us...however when we hear "tool going to work" we know that its serious and time is critical. When they do get out on their own, we do everything in our power to get them to race medical. Alot of times they flat out refuse...we cant force them, just like we cant force someone to be seen when they wreck themselves up on the street.

These drivers adrenaline is running so high that ALL they think about is "how bad is my car?" and "how much time will it take to get it fixed enough to get back in the race." And God forbid you touch them after they refuse care. Next time you watch a race and there is a wreck, and they show the action going on, watch closely. If the driver gets out on his own, you wont see anyone trying to touch him to get him off the track and into an ambulance or a rescue fly car. You WILL see them "herding" him where they want him to go. Why? you ask? because they have been known to punch the rescue workers who touch them...but you wont see that on camera. But, like every other time EMS is in the spotlight, you will see them focusing on what was done wrong, but not what was done right.

Dale Earnhardt's death was tragedy yes. But ya know what??? he knew exactly what could happen at any given time. He knew that he could wreck that car and that it could kill him. They take the chance every day...willingly. The HANS devices are wonderful, I wont take that away from them. But when your trying to cut someone out of a car, they are a time consuming piece of safety equipment, and they are very difficult to get off and maintain any kind of cervical spine immobilization. And to get them out of the car, the roof HAS to come off, the backboard placed behind them and they are lifted up and out of the seat and slid up the backboard. The seat is form fitted to their body and literally hugs them, very muck like a KED only tempered steel.

Working NASCAR or IRL events is not what its all cracked up to be. There are hours and hours of absolute boredom because you cant really watch the race from trackside, and then there are 5 or 10 minutes of sheer terror when you hear the caution flag is out and someone is in the wall and you hear on the radio "tool going to work".

To tell you the truth I would rather work the infield and deal with the drunken fools that fall into their campfires.

just my .02 cents

I’m guessing that NASCAR is similar to the V8 supercars in Australia. At our V8 events it’s not uncommon to have Intensive care paramedics, doctors, nurses and Physiotherapists in attendance.

Last time I did the V8s they had a medical chase car which followed them on the first lap, this vehicle was staffed with a high performance driver, ALS paramedic and MICA paramedic. They have one First Intervention Vehicle which went to any crashes that happened during the race, staffed with an emergency nurse, ALS medic and MICA. In the medical centre they have a few doctors with varying specialties (anaesthetist, ER doc ect) and ER nurses and 2 state emergency ambulances staffed with ALS medics to transport to hospital if needed. I was one of the lowly First Responders in the crowd lol. They also have motorsport rescue/safety/fire teams. The F1 Grand Prix racing has many more Health Care Professionals, some world renowned.

I’ve never had the pleasure of working trackside at a professional race but have done so many times at amateur racing. The ‘adrenaline attack’ as I call it is the most annoying thing in the world. I’ve never heard of the professional drivers refusing treatment but I mean they know that the people who come to help have done it a few times before and know exactly what’s going on. Many times I’ve had the guys who race just for fun refuse treatment, after I explain what could happen and they sign the release form it’s all good. If their out of the car before we arrive then meh, it happens. Most of the time their pretty corporative.

The good thing about it though, if the EMS team say they can’t go back racing then the chief official normally complies.

Last time I did the V8s they had a medical chase car which followed them on the first lap, this vehicle was staffed with a high performance driver, ALS paramedic and MICA paramedic.

How long was the sign up sheet? :lol:

The only time I was covering a speedway, our 2 ambulances were behind the stands, and only could see a few yards of the track. PS, the track is now a housing development.

In concept, a NASCAR EMS crew sounds good. I'd say at a track, the NASCAR crew would be primary, and the locals secondary, but before an event, whatever the event, all should have a practice drill.

As for the NASCAR drivers who wanted to just roll the wreck back onto it's wheels? Make it mandatory they attend sessions by either the NASCAR EMS, the local EMS, or, preferably, BOTH, so they know what ANY EMS that might be responding to them is expected to be doing when treating them (NASCAR drivers).

I've been an avid NASCAR fan for years. You see drivers walk away from horrendous crashes time and time again. The big issue for this is the drivers themselves. No matter how bad they hurt and their legs work they insist on walking to the ambulance or other emergency vehicle. It's a pride/toughness type of thing. After a wreck when they lower their window net it's a signal to everyone that they are OK. Sometimes they are lowering the netting before coming to a complete stop. So how do they know they are "OK' that quickly? Some are seriously hurt but they lower that netting any way. Even when they do get out and take a few steps and know they are hurt they still refuse a flat lay. I believe it was Neil Bonnet" that refused help and walked to the ambulance. Once inside they laid him down and when they got to infield care center he had three lumbar fractures.

These cars are super safe. More than likely you are safer in one of those cars at 200 mph than you are at 50 mph than your own car. And there has been significant improvements in the past few years, especially since Dale Sr.'s accident. The SAFER wall barriers, the mandatory full face helmet, and the HANS device to protect the neck has been a giant leap in safety.And don't forget the "Humpy Bumper". I'm not going to get into the impact/crinkle points that are now engineered into the new "COT" designs.

NASCAR does have it's own safety team. They travel from track to track. But their main function is to work with the local services. They train and inform, more or less orientate the locals for ten to fourteen days before a race. Come race day they are out with the crews to supervise. But NHRA, drag racing, does have their own full time service, "The Safety Safari". that run the whole show, but they still work with local agencies.

I am by no means an expert on sports car's engineering design and safety, but this what I've learned and my understanding of what's going on with NASCAR. Some of it I might be wrong with, but for the most part I know they are making great strides in improvement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.