Not invited to HERO lunch cause dad is cooler!

I had one of those wonderful experiences today that I just wanted to share. My middle school age son's school sends email announcements weekly to notify parents of upcoming school functions and what-not. I received an email from them about a week ago that there was going to be a "HERO DAY" lunch. Students were asked to invite one person in their life that they considered to be a hero. I secretly covet moments like this..moments that my son can be proud of me...moments were he can strut around an say "My MOM is a PARAMEDIC!". So, needless to say, I've been waiting everyday for a week for my son to ask me to come to lunch with him. Finally today I broke down and said "hey Bubba..i see that there is a hero lunch at your school...." to which he promptly replied "Yeah, I'm bringing my dad." SLAP..SLAP...SLAP....SLAP...that's what I felt across my face! HIS DAD?!?!?!? His dad that is a crane operator and has never paid a dime of child support?!?!? His dad that forgets his birthday and then throws a HUGE bash for the 2 year old son that he has with his new wife?!?!?!? HOLY GOD!!!!! Upset...YEAH..HECK YEAH! But, I smiled and said "Cool, that should be fun."

Anyway..thanks for letting me say all of this in here, since I would never say it to my son.

Ranting is good for the soul.

:?

Bummer. Sorry about how that worked out. I'm not sure what the school was thinking when they came up with this idea, but I'm betting yours isn't the only household that is less than thrilled about it. Some people really need to pull their heads out of their arses.

Parabrandi:

Sounds to me that your child inadvertently put you and the ex into a popularity contest. I am unmarried, and no children (notice I didn't say "that I know of"), but from readings, pop-psychology shows, and the like, your reaction was, indeed, the proper one, even if you are feeling a sting from it.

Yeah, too bad he chose his Dad, but it sounds like you handled things in a mature manner.

I think that the media has really twisted the word "hero" to the point where it has become meaningless and the term can apply to just about anyone now.

I agree, strong work backing up his decision. Disneyland Dads are hard to beat until the child learns a lot more about relationships.

I agree with the "Disneyland Dad" comment. Plus, boys will usually pick dads, it's a guy thing. But I'm sure he's proud of you too. To him you're just "mom" and forgets you're a Paramedic. As he get's older I'm sure he'll realize how much more you actually do.

My grade school used to have "Grandparents Day."

Then, after a few years, they realized that more and more kids were entering school having already run out of grandparents, and were getting heartbroken at sitting in the classroom alone while everyone else did fun activities.

Then it became "Special Person's Day."

well my kids dad can beat up your kids dad.

but seriously, boys will choose their dads over their moms for this type of thing everyday.

Don't take it personal.

And remember, construction heavy equipment is cool. the bigger the crane the bigger the excitement to little kids.

Disney dads give the other dads bad names. When they host a blockbuster party for the kids birthday every other year or so then that's what the kid remembers, that dad had a huge party for me.

Deep down you are really his hero but this is a way to show dad off especially when his friends do not know his dad so I bet he's talked him up a great deal before the hero day.

keep doing what you are doing, it does make a difference. You might not see it now, but you will see it over the long run.

My grade school used to have "Grandparents Day."

Then, after a few years, they realized that more and more kids were entering school having already run out of grandparents, and were getting heartbroken at sitting in the classroom alone while everyone else did fun activities.

LOL! Obviously not the ghetto, where most kids are raised by their Grandmother or Aunt.

Wanna talk about heartbroken, check out Father's Day in the ghetto. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.