Universal protocal's ?

I work in an are that has 19 ambulance services, 43 fire departments and one helicopter, it would seam that each and every service has a different set of protocols. My question is how do other areas handle this issue and has anybody had success on correcting the situation? thanks in advance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let me explain a little better, We cover a national park and "park medics" (EMT-I 85) that are allowed to go out of NREMT scope for there level because they are on federal land, ie; an intermediate giving MS and requesting a BLS ambulance. Or never knowing which service can provide what care prior to our arrival. I think it would be beneficial to pt care if everybody was playing with the same deck of cards. don't you?

No. There aren't even any good options for doing so, even if there were some compelling reason to do so. I can't think of a single benefit to an EMT wasting a moment's time worrying about what other services' protocols allow.

ya know your malicious remarks are not constructive i merely asked a question did not ask to be bashed. I am a professional EMT with 10 years experience the last of which as training officer, I work with some really great people paramedics and basics, if you don't have something constructive to add please refrain from replying to my posts.

ya know your malicious remarks are not constructive i merely asked a question did not ask to be bashed. I am a professional EMT with 10 years experience the last of which as training officer, I work with some really great people paramedics and basics, if you don't have something constructive to add please refrain from replying to my posts.

If you were professional, you would know how to spell P-R-O-T-C-O-L-S.

It seems to me that the original poster's local situation is that each service has their own medical director, and thus their own protocols. Due to this, there is a hodge podge of different skill sets offered (as well probably different educational standards as well, all of which at least meet the minimum standards) and thus the system feels fragmented.

To me, there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer. On one hand, every service should have a medical director to insure proper medical oversight. The only way to accomplish this would be to allow each service to have their own protocol based on their medical director's philosophy (or else I could see the medical director as viewing his hands are tied on patient care issues). On the other hand, regional protocols unify the treatments provided in the region, but at the same time cuts down on direct interaction between the medical director and the field staff. Simply put, there is no practical way for a medical director to develop relationships with field personal when s/he is overseeing numerous services of differing levels of care.

I've gotta agree with others. There is not much you can do in this situation, especially since you are dealing with the feds. Your best bet is to know what the other services can and cannot do and make the best of it.

PS-If you think Dusts remarks were malicious, you have not read too many of his posts. He was just giving you his opinion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.