Running Red Lights/ Stop Signs

As it's been said many times already, the lights and sirens are only a REQUEST for the right of way not a GUARANTEE of having the right of way.

No. The lights and sirens are a demand under the penalty of law for the right of way, but not a guarantee. Lets stop blowing smoke here. Yes, as has been pointed out also, having the legal right to demand the right of way doesn't absolve the emergency vehicle operator of either due regard or the laws of physics.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The lights and sirens are a demand under the penalty of law for the right of way, but not a guarantee. Lets stop blowing smoke here. Yes, as has been pointed out also, having the legal right to demand the right of way doesn't absolve the emergency vehicle operator of either due regard or the laws of physics.

Funny thing is JP, if they don't yeild the right of way....what are you as an EMT really going to do about it? Can you personally exact a penalty for not giving in to your demands?

No, the best you can do is take down make/model/color and license plate and the location of the infraction and tell a cop, who may or may not take the time to hunt this lawbreaker down and give them a ticket......

The whole point of this thread is that instead of driving like jackasses because you've got the lights blazing and the siren blaring.......slow down and get there in one piece! Don't drive like you have your head so far up your ass that you can't use common sense!

This is the same as asking what you're going to do about speeders on the road. Just because you can't pull someone over doesn't mean that speeding is suddenly an unenforceable offense.

Lights and sirens on a licensed emergency vehicle do demand the right of way. No, we cannot guarantee that others on the road will yield to us. Yes, the most we can do is call it in to the cops. However, just like if a cop catches you speeding, if a cop catches you it is a ticket-able offense to fail to yield to an emergency vehicle.

Now, if you want to talk L&S on a POV like so many whackers out there have then your argument that it's a request may be valid. But we're not going to go down that road...again.

-be safe

This is the same as asking what you're going to do about speeders on the road. Just because you can't pull someone over doesn't mean that speeding is suddenly an unenforceable offense.

Lights and sirens on a licensed emergency vehicle do demand the right of way. No, we cannot guarantee that others on the road will yield to us. Yes, the most we can do is call it in to the cops. However, just like if a cop catches you speeding, if a cop catches you it is a ticket-able offense to fail to yield to an emergency vehicle.

Now, if you want to talk L&S on a POV like so many whackers out there have then your argument that it's a request may be valid. But we're not going to go down that road...again.

-be safe

Aren't 'DEMANDS' usually issued with some sort of 'dire consequences'?

(Bank robber to police negotiator) Give me an airplane and $10 million in cash along with safe passage to a country that does not extradite, or I will start killing hostages; one every 15 minutes until you give me what I want! (line goes dead)

(Parent to child) Clean this room, or you'll be grounded, and can't go to the game on Friday night!

(EMS with lights and sirens activated to people at an intersection) Give me the right of way, or I'll take down as much information as I can get, and tell the police on you!!

:roll: :lol: :shock:

Let's not get too full of ourselves and our lights and sirens, people......

Aren't 'DEMANDS' usually issued with some sort of 'dire consequences'?

Nah. Just like those examples you just gave, they are issued only with the threat of dire consequences. The law tells people that they must yield to us or they will be prosecuted. They all know that. But, just like every other law on the books, people sometimes choose to do their own thing anyhow. That's just how it works.

I would have to agree with mike that L&S are indeed a demand. Sure, it's just semantics, but it is also an important distinction. And that does not in any way diminish your point that we have to be prepared for them to refuse our demand. And if they do not yield, we have no choice but to accept it.

And don't you love it when the patient, usually a young'un, wants to have the lights and sirens going, even when the situations doesn't call for it?

First off I would like to thank Dust for setting me straight. I apologize for the stupid post. It was only meant to stir up some discussion. I really did not think anyone would really think I was serious. As far as what a "Raped Ape" looks like, I'm not sure. Kinda like a half f**ked fox in a forest fire.......

I'm sorry for the immature post.

I always thought the "fox in a forest fire" was a reference to how hot something was.

One learns something new each day, as I never ever heard that phrase before this posting. At least it makes more sense than the phrases "the Bee's Knees" or "the Cat's Pajamas". (Anybody know what those two are about? PM me with "EMT City" in the subject line)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.