my discussion with a flight attendant

I have had an opportunity ? to use one, I found it well laid out and everythink was quite visual (they are a bit light on syringes) the "C" O2 tank and regulator was quite cheezy but far better than a typical first aid kit that I was expecting.

On international flights there is no narcotics (fact is some airlines actually do carry M/S) I found that a bit of a shocker in fact but there is Nalbuphine in some of those kits, in a pinch not a bad option to have at your disposal.

cheers

ps I worked with an a DR. T. a great doc, who was the medical director for Air Cabbage and CAMATA.

Ruff, I spoke with a commercial pilot that is personal friends of mine and also an EMT. He said their company policy was to have proof of the persons credentials before unlocking the medcial kit.

Is it possible this is an airline by airline policy as opposed to FAA policy?

On my passport my occupation is in big print but the picture is of an alien life form.

Quote : Scara

See that's the kind of info I would have gleaned if I actually read anything on the page. I just looked at the pretty pictures.

Great comeback, I think I wet myself !

I fly a lot and have never had a medical emergency onboard. Just lucky I guess. But if I did i would probably be like this.....

hiding.jpg

....for some very simple reasons.

1. I hate flying

2. I hate moving around on things flying, thinking about the few inches of aluminum between myself and the 30,000 free fall.

3. I hate flying once again, so I usually have a drink or three while I am flying and pre-flight. So I am not going to work a patient under influence.

4. As previously mentioned I do not carry my cards either.

Did anyone notice this at the bottom of the page??

"The Stat Kit 900 contains oxygen, a hazardous material. There will be a $30 hazmat fee added to your shipping costs. Please note: A filled oxygen cylinder cannot be shipped via Air. If you are requesting express shipping of your Stat Kit, the sylinder will be drained prior to shipment. Or, the full cylinder can be removed from your Stat Kit and shipped via Ground."

This kit is going on an airplane, correct??

PC

• Like 1

Nice looking kits.

I know that it's a bit much to ask but I wish there was more fluid. I know an ER doc who is from Russia, he was going home to visit family and out in the middle of the ocean he ended up dealing with a guy in cardiogenic shock. Problem was he didn't have enough fluid available to properly manage the guy. He set up an Epi drip but that only lasted so long. He said it was a tough decision but in the end he decided to use distilled water and dilute the D50 with it so he could continue to keep this guy's pressure up. They could deal with the potential infection but not the lack of a pulse when his pressure bottoms out!

I don't know if I would have thought of that.... or risked it.

The provisions of air cargo (air transportation of dangerous goods) and on board use of medical oxygen are under a different catagory, all pressurised even some unpressurised aircraft do carry oxygen, the flow rate you can get max out of their on-board systems is about 4 lpm. Hence the approval for emergency in flight of use of O2, if you have ver done a medical evacuation on a commercial airliner this is a huge pain in the ***. Kinda Funny though as dedicated fixed wing aircraft carry it every day.

I have The Kanukistanian MOT regs but it would break the site if I tried to upload, its crazy big.

ps it still pisses me off I can't take a regular size toothpaste .... damn those terrorists!

Transplanted from the original thread on this topic, I bring you the FAA list of required medical supplies on an airliner.

I have never seen a Banyan kit on an airliner. Like AK, I fly a LOT these days. And the airlines I have seen recently (Northwest, KLM, Delta, and Southwest) all carry the MedAire kits, in a kind of modified Thomas bag, which seems to have become the standard.

comm_emk.jpg

comm_eemk.jpg

http://medaire.com/comm_kits.html

As also mentioned in the original topic, don't count on the kits being complete. They work on a theory of them being fully stocked, as long as the seal is intact. Two problems with this; first, they never check the seals. And second, whoever inspects and restocks the kits is not medically sophisticated enough to figure out what was missing before they put it back in service. You never know what will be missing, but it's almost always something you'll need for a basic exam, like BP cuff, stethoscope, or thermometer.

Also, there is only one BP cuff in the kit, and it definitely is not big enough to fit "that guy" who is always the sick one on the airplane.

If you're lucky, you'll be on an airline that was ahead of the curve and got Philips defibs with EKG screens. If not, you'll be stuck with Lifepak crap.

Many of the Airlines have gone to this "TYPE" of kit:

http://www.statkit.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...amp;itemnum=700

Its not like your on a bus or something, one really can't get off at the next stop .... ok just the way I read this tickled me funny bone is all.

Ok a story: I am sitting in the back of a continental jet, getting the safety briefing ... like I haven't done them myself ... so the attendent after the seat belt demonstration : this slays me in itself, like who does not know how to operate a seat belt these days ? Anyway the attendent says : "In the event of sudden loss of cabin pressure" part ... and not ONE person is listening, well accept for me. She states: WHEN THE SCREAMING STOPS pull the mask sharply towards yourself .... well you get the point ! So now I am laughing so hard all of the passengers are looking at ME!

The attendant and I got along great after that, she gave me free drinks for the next 3 hours ... telling the other passengers that I was the only one that answered the skill testing question....dang good flight.

cheers

You were on a Southwest airlines flight weren't you?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.