Are volunteer BLS services beneficial?

Volunteer BLS services are  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• a useless pain in the butt.
    • okay if they stay out of my way.
    • competition.
    • a good asset to have around.

First... what the heck... idk why I have two posts up of the same thing... weird.

Sorry bout that.

I understand what you mean. I know that it sounds ridiculous.

It is kind of funny how one word can change the attitude of a response.

"Professional" paramedic service. :lol:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could sit, and wait for the centrally located, hospital based EMS to drive 45 miles to take the calls.. and let the patient die, waiting for the severely over taxed, understaffed, ALS service to roll, when they get around to it.

Locally, it's happened a few times. A volunteer service gets "bought out" by a hospital, or private service. However, the ambulances are taken out of that town, and centrally located in another town. The service doesn't hire any extra personnel, or put any extra on staff. They have two MICU's staffed, 24/7. That's it. So, if they are out. The community is screwed. Now who's doing a disservice?

I could sit, and wait for the centrally located, hospital based EMS to drive 45 miles to take the calls.. and let the patient die, waiting for the severely over taxed, understaffed, ALS service to roll, when they get around to it.

You're missing the entire cause and effect thing here, 4. The reason ALS is understaffed is because of the placebo effect of the volunteer BLS. When you are the cause of the problem, you can claim no beneficial status for any efforts to alleviate the problem.

That's kinda like patting yourself on the back for abusing your kids less.

"Professional" paramedic service. :lol:

Do you have a better term for people who get paid to do a job and be on call? Is it different than the system where the response time and crew composition is dictated by who ever felt like answering their pager today?

Do you have a better term for people who get paid to do a job and be on call? Is it different than the system where the response time and crew composition is dictated by who ever felt like answering their pager today?

Negative. I'll take my lollypop, toys, and go home. :lol:

I think we should stick a fork in the whole ALS vs. BLS idea... its waaaay done.

Just so you know Scuba Steve, when I said amateur...I was being sarcastic. I value the people who volunteer in our community. There is no pay whatsoever for these people and they do volunteer a lot of time. Most are merely EMTs and I mean this sarcastically as well, because it seems to me that unless you are a paramedic, you really should not even be a part of the EMS world or so it seems thats the way most of the posters (or posers) on here feel.

Allow me to sound off on this topic, The service that I work for started in 1964 as a BLS volunteer service, in 2001 we went ALS but still volunteer backed up by a service 20 miles away along with a helicopter. 2 years ago we finally went fully paid. We cover about 5000 square miles ( not a type o its really five thousand) we have multiple volunteer services in our area, quick response units, fire departments and other ambulance services. I could not imagine doing my job without the volunteers getting to the scene prior to our arrival. Even if you feel they don't know the score or are in the way, remember everybody starts someware. In our area in peticular I would wager that 90% or more of all of our responders either are volunteer or started out that way. Sorry if this sounds like a rant but I deal with a areomedical service here that tends to get a little pig headed on scene and refuses to listen to a report from somebody that has been with the pt for 20 minutes waiting for there arrival. If you dont like the situation and you can't change it then change your attitude about it.

If you dont like the situation and you can't change it then change your attitude about it.

Well put. It's unrealistic to say stop all volunteer ems, and implement all paid. Never going to happen. It's a gradual thing, which will hopefully balance itself over the next 15 years or so. EMS is a relatively new business. The Wright Brothers' plane didn't just instantly turn in to a 747. Things are changing, but it won't happen overnight.

That attitude change doesn't need to be "Fine, I'll just deal with volley's and the way EMS is running". But it shouldn't be in the mindset that all volunteer services need to cease existence. Change over time is best, and that's all it needs. I can tell you right now that every member on my squad knows they won't be volunteering in 5 years, and they know paid services will eventually overrun us. And the majority of volunteers understand that, and are not trying to fight it. It's all just a matter of time.

And please, this is not an ALS v. BLS discussion, as it seems it is turning in to one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.