WOuld you follow th 50:1 CPR if it were to come into effect?

shorthairedpunk

If AHA Changes the CPR to a 50:1 ratio as mentioned in JEMS, would you abide by it?  

57 members have voted

1. 1.

• No
    • Yes, AHA is GOD, I will follow them blindly
    • Yes
    • No, the more ventilations, the better

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way would I follow that method! What is the point of pumping blood if there is no oxygen in it? You might as well put them on Carbon monoxide instead of O2 lol. Plus that method would quickly exhaust the resuscitator and he or she would be unable to continue after only giving a few rescue breaths. This method won't be done by me any day soon!

I still don't like that you don't do 5:1 if you don't intubate them! I understand that they (AHA/RED CROSS ) are trying to make CPR as simple as possible but 50:1 just seems a little hard to swallow.

N.B. I have not read the JEMS article!

The more ventilation's you give= increased thoracic pressure= less blood flow.

that's why they found that patients are more likely to survive if you don't hyperventilate them.

on the other hand 50:1 seems very extreme.

Aaron

The more ventilation's you give= increased thoracic pressure= less blood flow.

that's why they found that patients are more likely to survive if you don't hyperventilate them.

That's what I've heard as well. Plus the inherent reduction in risk of gastric distention/aspiration.

I'll follow whatever protocol is proven* (*IOW currently touted as the best in the most recent and comprehensive studies..this is always subject to change and there are truly no absolutes) to yield the best outcomes with the highest consistencies.

-Trevor

That's what I've heard as well. Plus the inherent reduction in risk of gastric distention/aspiration.

I'll follow whatever protocol is proven* (*IOW currently touted as the best in the most recent and comprehensive studies..this is always subject to change and there are truly no absolutes) to yield the best outcomes with the highest consistencies.

-Trevor

If you read the full article you would also know that the reasoning is that the cells needed to actually get the heart to start pumping on it's own (ATP) aren't being activated until about compression 15, and then quickly die off when compressions stop. You would also know that the RECOMENDATION is to switch compressionproviders every two minutes, because as it is we are losing our effectiveness as compressions anyway.

The articlealso says the Ratio will be50:2,not one as was mentioned. Remember there are all Recomendations, It is still up to your dept to write teh protocal around it.

If you read the full article you would also know that the reasoning is that the cells needed to actually get the heart to start pumping on it's own (ATP) aren't being activated until about compression 15, and then quickly die off when compressions stop. You would also know that the RECOMENDATION is to switch compressionproviders every two minutes, because as it is we are losing our effectiveness as compressions anyway.

The articlealso says the Ratio will be50:2,not one as was mentioned. Remember there are all Recomendations, It is still up to your dept to write teh protocal around it.

Well If I had read it then I'm sure I'd know all the things you told me I am supposed to know.

But like I said, I'm speaking in regard to what I've heard. Not what I've read. Hence my saying "that's what I've heard", not "that's what I read" :wink:

-Trevor

Well If I had read it then I'm sure I'd know all the things you told me I am supposed to know.

But like I said, I'm speaking in regard to what I've heard. Not what I've read. Hence my saying "that's what I've heard", not "that's what I read" :wink:

-Trevor

That was in reference to SHP, I was just including yours because it was also mentioned in the article. And from what I have hears, It is in the new Recomendations that come out in like August or September, teh 50:2 ratio will be there. Don;t expect it on a test until sometime next spring though is what I heard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.