Requesting online study buddy for EMT Basic

LisaO925

The ones I roll my eyes at, like DCAPBTLS............

Ooooo that one I hate now! We have just started these lovely little lab excerscies called Round Robins. One TA or teacher and a group of students. You are given a scenario, and are to start the assessment, once you stop, hesitate, look confused, say "umm", or anything your nexted. Finally it was my turn to go up there, people were dropping like flies and being nexted left and right. I was nervous, but thought I was under control. I had to say, "I am not scanning my Pt. and palpating for DCAPBLSTIC." and then say each of them outloud. I went so fast, (IM not sure if it was nerves, or I was trying to prove I knew it, and impress the teachers??) that I skipped over P - Punctures!!! Teacher yells out, "NEXT, too bad so sad, but you forgot punctures" I was so mad at myself. I know I would have completed that damn assessment, but no, I had to get killed about 30 seconds into it :x

I have to agree. I dont ever see me saying that under my breath when I expose a Pt to look for anything that might be obvious, or common sense.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, in a strange turn of events the thread is back on topic. Lisa, I have an employee who just started the basic class a month ago. I'll let her know. Which book are you using?

Oh I know huh.. This thread isnt making me slam my head on my computer desk anymore....lol

We are using the textbook and workbooks callled: Emergency Medical Technician making the difference by Mosbey Jems 2007 edition

Lisa, I'd love to help you in any way possible as well :) I Just got my EMT-B cert 3 weeks ago and have been wanting to get together with someone and review or whatnot. So feel free to PM me and I'll see what we can work out! Take care!

ohhhh come on guys...everybody LOVES DCAP-BTLS but you need to finish it. DCAP-BTLS TIC. Or how about OPQRST-ASPN. Anyhow, Lisa I know you have had lots of offers for help and Im glad that you've gotten them. As I was reading previous pages of this thread I thought to myself, " Self, it won't ever change. Let's make the new guy/girl feel like crap so they leave", and I really thought that they had eaten you alive. I'm glad to see that you didn't let them.

I am going to offer my assistance as well, feel free to PM me if you wish, and good luck in the rest of the class.

ohhhh come on guys...everybody LOVES DCAP-BTLS but you need to finish it. DCAP-BTLS TIC. OPQRST-ASPN.

If you are going to use the TIC, it is DCAP BLS TIC. (Have to drop the first T, otherwise you repeat yourself)

TIC is Tenderness, Instability, and Crepitus.

Can you explain the ASPN?

Yeah, but don't abandon DCAP-BTLS just yet!

In every scenario from basic to medic I think I was asked what I was looking for, and they seemed to expect DCAP-BTLS, which often followed, "And what does that stand for?"

I certainly agree, Dust, with your assessment of mnemonics. But the NR is just as in love with them as many of the schools are...So I think it pays to know them until that is in the past.

Dwayne

Hmmm... I took the NR EMT-B exam two years ago, about the same time as you, and I don't recall any mnemonics being involved.

I've taken the NR medic test twice in three years. Once to see if anything had changed due to miserable pass rate, and once for my recert. One was written, one was CBT. NO mnemonics I can remember. I think it is the instructors that are in love with them. You don't use them that much after you get out anyhow.

Concentrate on WHY you would look for these things.

Hmmm... I took the NR EMT-B exam two years ago, about the same time as you, and I don't recall any mnemonics being involved.

I guess it was brain fade. I could remember clear as a crystal that the skill sheets mentioned checking distal PMS, and checking for DCAP-BTLS during trauma...But just went and checked, and you're right. Nada.

My apologies for the poor advice.

Wait! You don't suppose this means I wasn't actually a famous gigolo do you? :shock:

Dwayne