Tipping...to take it or not?

Don1977

I see your point, however I work for the province of British Columbia.

Do people tip for anything in Canadia?

I honestly don't know. I thought it was more of a silly Americanism.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with many of the posters here. It is correct to refuse, but impolite and sometimes offensive to refuse it repeatedly when the giver insists.

You could alleviate some of the moral ambiguity of this by taking the tip, adding it to whatever charity fund or community donation fund your company has (or this hospital's, if your company doesn't have one), and recording it properly as a donation in that patient's name. Then the patient feels good for giving it to you, you've remained polite and appropriately grateful to them, and you are not lining your own pockets but improving the service that your EMS provides, which is what they wanted to acknowledge in the first place.

'zilla

Do people tip for anything in Canadia?

I honestly don't know. I thought it was more of a silly Americanism.

Unfortunately for my pocketbook we still do. We tip for the usual things like good service at a restaurant etc.. I don't really like the concept myself, but I still tip because I don't want to look like a cheap jerk. It's funny how it all works. You don't tip the teller at the grocery store but you are supposed to tip the bellman who packs your luggage. Both people are just doing their job.

As a newly formed service, from volly to paid staff, we took a huge hit in the local papers for raising taxes to become paid. Whenever someone wants to tip or tries to offer any monetary "donation" we simply ask them instead to back us in an editorial the next time rural ambulance issues are raised. I will tell you right now, you can't buy endorsements like that.

I am in agreement with the don't accept tips policy. You have to be careful however cause you don't wanna insult anybody. I'll share a quick story for you. I was transporting home a hospice pt one day and when we arrived no family was there. Now the pt was very medicated and didn't know what was going on. When family finally arrived I found out that the people who delivered the hospital bed put it into the wrong room. So my partner and myself disassembled the bed moved into the correct location and reassembled it. The whole process took over an hour. When we were done the gentlemen tried to tip us what looked like a $50 bill. I refused but instead suggested I could really go for a cup of coffee. Well he obliged and the next day at work he sent coffee and bagels over. So that's my thought on it. Try to redirect, now if it's an older person and they insist on a few bucks don't insult. I like the three refusals then accept. At most of the nursing homes in my area they have birds, dogs or whatever for the residents. And if you look there's always a collection box for feeding the pets. That's where I put my tips. Remember it's all about the pt's and treat them how you wanna be treated.

esculap2.jpg

From the caption: Mercury (Hermes) & merchant approach disapproving Asclepius (Physician) and the naked Graces (Meditrine, Hygeia and Panacea)

* Asclepius dealt with patients - merchants make deals with clients

* Asclepius is linked with a constellation of idealistic medical ideas

* Mercury is identified with mercantile mercenary views

I haven't read most of the thread, but honestly I accepted a tip once because it was a sweet old lady and she was very grateful (we waited and made conversation with her and her friends for awhile until she got a room bed) and she really really needed a way to express her gratitude.

It declined it the first five times or so, but it got to the point where she was going to be very sad if we didn't take it (it was five bucks each...I mean come on). I didn't care about the five bucks at all, but more about letting her feel like she had helped us back. She said go buy yourselves a drink, haha.

We also once got an offer to lodge at at guy's "mansion" in Israel anytime we were over there...with "lots of rooms, food, and women" haha.

Asclepius dealt with patients

Ah, is that how he explained constantly chasing naked women around with a snake adorned stick? I guess it's good work, if you can get it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.