Tipping...to take it or not?

Don1977

What a pants load.

And they tip out of the goodness of their hearts too. Why is your "good feeling" so much more important than theirs?

I am not saying it's more important,I am just saying thats what I get and that is all I need as a "paycheck". Sorry if that is to big of a feeling to get when I help someone. I don't need a chash tip or anything like that, so I just say I cant accept it im sorry and I wouldn't be here if I didnt LOVE what I do regardless of what time the call came in.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG - do you tip your doctor? your lawyer? your RN?

I don't - I tip waitresses, bag handlers, room cleaners, other service providers.

I am a health care professional. Just cause the money in EMS sucks doesn't mean I'm not going to act and expect to be treated as a professional.

I understand and agree with that, K. But when we're talking about less than enough to buy lunch, are we even talking about money? No, of course not. This isn't about the money. This is about the gesture.

What's the difference in being tipped a sawbuck to say "thanks" and the community throwing a parade in our honour? Both are gestures of appreciation, and they should be respected as such.

Before you expect respect, you first have to give it.

Even your dead body is worth a tip...Didn't realize that did you? 2 years working hospital pt transport prior to working as an ER tech showed me that. There is an unwritten rule that funeral homes (not ME's) tip the guy $5 to get the transporter down quickly so they don't have to wait and to help them put the body on the stretcher. We took it because at our wage it was nice to have some money for dinner for once. It really didn't rush us to the morgue but it was nice to be the guy down there for the $5. I used to have a few patients try to tip me when I would bring them to their cars and I would decline and say to take that money and put it in the next donation jar they see where ever they are and that feels a lot better then taking it. A few people literally shoved cash in my pocket before they got in their car and refused to take it back so I ate good for dinner that night. Tips are not evil and they shouldn't be expected, they are not payment, some people just don't know how to say thanks without money. It's a flaw that many are willing to accept because money is pretty and it can buy stuff. :-)

I understand and agree with that, K. But when we're talking about less than enough to buy lunch, are we even talking about money? No, of course not. This isn't about the money. This is about the gesture.

What's the difference in being tipped a sawbuck to say "thanks" and the community throwing a parade in our honour? Both are gestures of appreciation, and they should be respected as such.

The difference is that money changes hands. If a patient really wants to make a kind gesture I suggest a worthwhile charity. I wouldn't expect or really want a parade either. A simple thank-you is sufficient. If you feel the need for anything more your in the wrong profession, because most of the time your aren't going to get it.

I totally agree. And I also believe taht if you treat the patient with respect WHICH EVERY PATIENT SHOULD BE, then theyr espect you, whetehr ita a tip and/or a thank you.

Call it morals, ethics, values...whatever. I absolutely REFUSE to accept a tip for doing my job!

If you think I've done something 'above and beyond the call of duty', then sit down and write a nice letter to the company, so that it can be put in my personnel jacket. That way when it comes time for promotions, I can trot those right out and use them in my favor.

I think it's inappropriate to be offered a tip, and to accept it lessens your 'professional standing' in the eyes of the community.

If they INSIST on doing something to show their gratitude, then I suggest that they use the money to purchase small teddy bears that I can stow on the rig as part of the 'hugs program'. That way when I have to transport a terrified pediatric patient, I've got something to help calm them down......

It is just because I can discover how much I would like to receive a tip, I suppress the urge to accept one. That's because I'm concerned that even in a tiny way, my appetite for receiving a tip could on subsequent runs become visible to patients or their families, and the image of myself conveying - through intonation, body-language, or timing of gestures - anything but focus on assisting a captive sufferer disgusts me. Informing the recipient of such service that when the heightened emotions of the moment have normalized, s/he can convey gratitude in a formal way means to avoid any appearance of exploitation. But maybe I'm hypersensitive that way.

And - hey! - in all ways!

That'll be $2., please.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.