Tipping...to take it or not?

Don1977

Transported a lady who fell tonight , had a skin tear that bled pretty good, we transported her back home about 3 hours later, well she offered a tip and I stated, "the company really doesn't want us to take tips, but if you insist we will" She said "I insist, you guys are too nice" As we got her off stretcher and she got settled she gave us $5 to split up, this has happened a few times to me and to be honest i do tell them we should not take it and the company says not to, but they insist I don't tell them no a second time, sometimes they get more offended when they are told no, I have seen that too.

So, whats your opinion and thoughts on this?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if the bill is gonna be like 1000 bucks you should get at least 100 to 200 dollars for a tip. Any less from anyone makes em a cheapskate.

Why don't we just put tip jars on the bench seats like the jars you see at starbucks for tips.

and depending on the circumstances I don't tip. Like for instance, I was in baltimore Maryland and was in a cab going from the airport to downtown. They guy was going 25 miles per hour higher than the posted speed limit and drove right past a police officer. Well he got stopped, he refused to turn off the meter during the ticket and since I took the trip weekly I knew what the fare would be so that's what he got, 15.00 and nothing more. No tip nothing. He was not happy.

So no I don't think we should accept tips from anyone. It's unprofessional. The patient is already being charged enough.

I use the 3 refusal rule. I refuse it three times then reluctantly take a tip. I've never had tip on an emergency call, but have had a few on discharges. I do believe that there is a point where refusing a tip becomes obnoxious.

Unless this is very obviously somebody that cannot afford to lose five bucks, I'll take it.

Just like we appreciate their appreciation, they appreciate our appreciation of their appreciation.

But yeah, can't do that if you're a government employee. God bless private EMS! :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.