speed limit??

Steven H

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were these vehicles previously owned by the FDNY EMS? I should have asked that before.

No they were brand new when we got them, they sent them out after we recieved them for restriping as they had the FD striping on them, when I asked why it would only go 50 I was told because thats the way FDNY spec'd every piece, Maybe they were just fedding me a line of BS do you know something?

An ambulance is basically a big fiberglass box, with a lot of stuff that can break free of its mountings fly around and kill you.

A couple of years ago, out on Long Island we had a paid professional 20 year veteran medic and his new partner along with the patient killed, because the 18 y/o volley had to try to beat a truck hauling gravel at an intersection.

They lost.

The pictures looked as if a giant coke can had been crushed and thrown away.

When I’m in the back, I just want a nice easy ride, glide to stops, and ease from starts,

hard to do in the city, but even more reason to go slow.

Who said it before, just because you chose to eat five big Mac’s a day, doesn’t make it my problem.

-w

WANTYNU, I remember the incident you refer to. Every TV station in NYC had coverage of it on their 10 or 11 PM newscast.

A candle was lit in honor for each of them at the "Pulse Check" New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association's annual convention, educational conference, and trade show last September.

BVESBC, I think you were given some male bovine excrement samples, with that line that the FDNY EMS ambulances have speed governors on them. I have had the FDNY EMS ambulances up to 70 MPH, in short spurts. I don't feel comfortable going that fast, even when I am the one driving, so I slow down.

Who knows, that was the same company that had their ambulance Reposessed while I was in the ER with a pt.

LMAO! That's funny right there, I don't care who you are! :lol:

We had some FDNY spec mods back in the late 80's. You could tell from looking at them. Whoever the manufacturer was apparently just made too many of them or something. I know the company got a good deal on them. Anyhow, they ran like scalded dawgs. Definitely no governors. Although, I suppose our mechanics might have taken them off or something.

WANTYNU, I remember the incident you refer to. Every TV station in NYC had coverage of it on their 10 or 11 PM newscast.

A candle was lit in honor for each of them at the "Pulse Check" New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association's annual convention, educational conference, and trade show last September.

Rich, My ex partner (she’s out permanently disabled due to ca) used to say her mother would yell at her for being an EMT, saying : “ your job is so dangerous and for what? You’ll end up getting killed, they’ll call you a hero for a day, light a candle, and forget about you tomorrow…”

Unfortunately, how true that seems to be…

-w

...mother would yell at her for being an EMT, saying : “ your job is so dangerous and for what? You’ll end up getting killed, they’ll call you a hero for a day, light a candle, and forget about you tomorrow…”

My mother always said that when I was a cop. She was constantly worried. But she never, ever worried about me being a medic. Funny thing is, I was never in any serious danger as a cop, that I can remember. But I've lost track of the number of accidents I've been in, or the number of times I've been shot at as a medic. I'm surprised your friend's mother recognised the risks. Most people don't. Not even most medics.

......... But I've lost track of the number of accidents I've been in, or the number of times I've been shot at as a medic. I'm surprised your friend's mother recognised the risks. Most people don't. Not even most medics.

You know that partner you just “click” with? Well she was that one for me, she had 10 years on me was my first fulltime and taught me a lot. She knew about the job and always watched out for me, saved my sorry butt more than once.

I was lucky to have her as my partner, and miss our tours to this day.

I too never thought this job could be as dangerous as is it is, that’s why I end my posts as such.

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.