types of EMT-B classes

freethinker

I think it all just depends on where you are. Are you looking to take a class and that is why you are asking? If so, I would ask around and see if people in your local area know anything about your local programs if there are a lot to choose from. You could also just take a look at your own schedule and the schedules offered at each class. Welcome to EMTCity.

• 1 month later...

From what i've seen out of the different schools in my town, which there is a large selection for emt training. Is the staff the school hires will dictate alot of your training, if your in a school where every teacher is a firefighter they will more than likely gear the teaching towrds the way they operate, like wise with ER nurses, and ems only paramedics. You'll learn the curriculum there will just be a slant on it torwards what the teacher/teachers career is. Thats just what i've seen, everywhere is different.

Good advice. There really is no generalisation that can be made about the content or quality of a course based solely upon who sponsors it. As b13 states, there is likely to be a bit of a slant from different points of view, depending upon who is running the class, but that slant isn't necessarily a bad thing. A slant towards understanding the way things work locally is a good thing, so long as you plan on working locally, and so long as they don't sacrifice anything from the core knowledge base.

The one positive thing that can be said about classes run by EMS agencies is that, by attending their school, you get an opportunity to get to know a bit about their organisation, as well as whether or not you would want to work there. Similarly, they get to know a bit about you too, so you have a chance to show your intelligence and potential to them, making your chances of getting hired a little better than somebody off the street that they know nothing about. Just one thing to consider.

If you indeed have multiple options (many people don't), then it's a buyer's market, and I would encourage you to do the research before choosing a school. Of course, sometimes the choice is made for you if one class costs $250 dollars and the other one costs $1500 dollars, and you make $5.15 an hour and have no savings. Likewise, if one school is offered only at night, but you work nights or have a family you need to be with at night, then again, that school is going to be out of the running. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do and make the best of it.

Meet with the school. Find out who their instructors are and what their qualifications are. If their instructors are mostly just EMTs themselves, that's not a good sign. If there is not a degreed professional among the bunch, then they don't know enough about real education to be attempting to educate you. So, find out what their educational and professional backgrounds are. If they are hesitant to share those with you, run. If they are all nurses who have never worked in EMS, run. If they are all firemonkeys who do EMS simply because the fire department makes them, run.

If possible, choose a school that also offers a Paramedic programme. They are more likely to have better equipment, facilities, and resources. Plus, like the potential employer, having association with a potential paramedic school can be a big asset when you continue your education.

If possible, choose a school that also offers a NATIONALLY ACCREDITED paramedic programme, not just any paramedic programme. If the school is not listed on this website, then they are not Nationally Accredited, no matter what BS they try to feed you.

Likewise, choosing a school that is based at a college that offers college credit for the course is a positive thing.

Put big emphasis on the length of the course. And by 'length", I don't mean how many months. I mean how many actual contact hours long is the course. A four month course is no better than a four week course if they both only give you 120 hours of training. The national minimum is a mere 110 hours, although many states require more. More is better. Even though you can get your card in 110 hours (three weeks), chances are about ninety-nine percent that you will be a MUCH better EMT with 250 hours. Fast and easy is not the way to go when you are preparing for a job caring for human beings at the most fragile and vulnerable point in their lives. Even with 250 hours, you're still going to come out totally inadequately prepared for the job, so get the most you can while you can.

Before you take any EMT course, you should take a couple semesters of college Anatomy & Physiology. What you get in EMT school is really cheesey, and just enough to be dangerous. Nobody can call themselves a medical professional without at least that much background. Sure, there aren't many EMT schools out there that require it, but it's up to you whether you want to be a professional or just a guy with a patch. And, if you don't want to be the very best that you can be, why do it at all?

Best of luck!

I dont think its any different, however, I know a few EMS companie staht were doing EMT classes and teaching the students how to do stuff the way, is that legal???? beats me, but they are now EMTs

• 1 month later...

i am graduating high school in 3 days I am in las vegas,nv and i know there aren't that many places that i have found that offer EMT training mostly it is the community colleges and hospitals. The hospitals probably give you a foot in the door as in with employment but i am choosing the communiaty college because i heard the professors there are really good at what they do.

Are you doing it because you really want to be an EMT or Medic, or just because you think it might help you become a firemonkey?

Just visited the CAAHEP website and there are ZERO accredited paramedic programs in Massachusetts. Wow.

At least in NV you've got the College of Southern Nevada. That's the only one tho'.

None of the four in New Jersey are either. Jersey EMS :roll:

When I went through my initial EMT training, I went through one of the local trauma centers, and it really was a great program. We had pediatric nurses come in, when it was our pedi module, and a paramedic who was once a cop talk about scene safety. They really had resources to pull, and it was great hearing from different, and more experienced providers. When I did my clinical rotation in the ER, I learned the process of a patient, what happens when a major trauma happens, and just the general flow of the ER. That was a great experience just being in the ER. Those are some reasons why I believe the hospital choice might be a good one.

If you do decide to do it through the county college, see if they offer college credits for the completion of an EMT course. College credits aren't cheap, and can help fulfill some elective credits towards a degree.

Whichever you choose, I wish the best of luck to you, and welcome to the city!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.