Advanced Emergency Medical Technician? The NHTSA says so.

NREMT-Basic

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an old item. This is NOT a Scope of Practice also. This has been a product of the National EMS Educators developing curriculum and definitions by educational standards of not only cognitive knowledge base but skill performance as well.

Intermediate and Advanced EMT are synonymous. Technically, intermediate means "half way" and that many programs either produce EMT Intermediates that are less than half way or more than, the wording or classification was changed. Technically, NHTSA has always used the advanced title. Keeping it simplistic of EMT, Advanced EMT and Paramedic.

R/r 911

So basically there is no change other than title. Basics still can do nothing. EMT-I or AEMT can do just very little extra just like now. So what is all the excitement about?

I know that you like to argue, but as I said, I am not going to stoop to the level of arguing about what Basics do. As for the statement that Basics do nothing, you're wrong and I will leave it at that.

Also, its not excitement, just information.

You threw out the bait, but Im not biting.

I'm a bit confused, you say that not all providers want to become medics, but you want them to perform LIKE medics, by administering medication and performing invasive procedures? So, they want to use the toys, but don't want the hassle of going to school? Sounds good to me. :roll: You might get to respond to a disaster yet! :D Sorry, couldn't help myself....back on topic.

Roll your eyes all you like. I anticipated you being pretty vocal about this. For the record, EMT-B's already perform invasive procedures so thats not performing LIKE a medic, its performing AS an EMT-B. As for not being able to help yourself with the disaster response comment, you could have refrained from the nasty comment, but chose not to. As for training and going to school, well I'll send you a copy of my CV if you like. The kinds of degrading and insulting posts you generally make surrounding this topic are one of the main reasons that discussions degenerate into arguments, worthless 9-page threads and personal attacks.

You also threw bait out hoping for a heated and angry response, but your "bait" is even smaller than Spenac's so I wont bother with it either. NEXT.

Brent-

I know you are a dispatcher, but out of curiosity, what is your EMT licensure level?

I am a basic and the first basic on this site to tell you I don't know enough to do half of what I am trusted to do. I don't know why you have such a hard on for calling me out. I'm not the one going around telling people all about my uber-cool tactial medical team I really am not a part of. But what ever.

I have plans in place to go to college next year for an AAS in Paramedic Studies when I am elligbile again for student loans. I'll tell you right now, I would never try to be certified, or work in a system that lets me do those things without a full indepth education. Its not worth it. I don't even like using a combi-tube even though the state of Indiana says I am allowed and competent to.

I know that you like to argue, but as I said, I am not going to stoop to the level of arguing about what Basics do. As for the statement that Basics do nothing, you're wrong and I will leave it at that.

Also, its not excitement, just information.

You threw out the bait, but Im not biting.

Never any intent to argue. Stated the facts and that is all. No bait planted.