Should EMTs Have to Babysit Their Medics?

suzeg487

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the cry of outrage among the medics when one of the local paramedic training institutes dispensed with the mandate that a student applying had to have at least one year of well-documented EMT experience, and several letters of recommendation prior to be accepted to the program. There have been several students that had never even been on an ambulance before going through the program. I'm still not sure whether or not I agree with that.

Those of us who have considerable experience both teaching and working with those no-experience students and grads will tell you that the school is doing the right thing. It's sound educational theory to take a blank slate and create a good provider from it. A lot easier and more effective than trying to break the bad habits and half-baked notions of somebody who thinks they knew what they were doing for the last 2 to 15 years.

If the school is smart, they'll go a step further and give preference to those with no experience over those who have slothed around at the bottom of the ladder for years without progressing. That doesn't exactly show me a commitment to progress and excellence.

what is it about him that you object to? His knowledge? his experience? his willingness to teach? his character?

what exactly do you mean?

OOOOOOHHHH!! I can't wait to hear this one.... :rabbit:

Please don't bring out the line " Why don't you pay for her medic class". All of us have done it and I can guarantee you that I was at rock bottom, when I went through school.

I feel your pain on that one!!! $$$$$

I've been a basic for 8 years and worked on the ambulance for one of those years. (The other 7 years were spent in the ER as a tech)...and just to throw my 2 cents in, not that it hasn't already been said, if I have a question about a treatment my partner bestows upon a patient, I don't hesitate to ask. I have a ton of respect for him as a Paramedic but at the same time, I realize he is human...and as such, he makes mistakes. I would NEVER point out his mistakes, but I would, and do, ask questions about treatments he renders and I haven't yet been throttled, or "chewed up and spit out" or gashed open with a prison shank as a result of my inquisitions. If after he explains the treatment to me, I still don't understand the reasoning behind it, we get into a discussion about it and more than likely, he was right-on and I just missed something, or it was something I was unfamiliar with. Someone earlier said we work as teams, as we do. Just as much as you think your Paramedic owes his life and limb to you for hanging his fluids and attaching electrodes for a 12-lead (I'm pretty sure he could do that by himself), you owe your respect to him for taking a step further and becoming a Paramedic.

I just can't understand why it's not okay to not have the drive that some people have. I could have been a smart ass and not asked why Dust hasn't started medical school yet if he's so keen on not being complacent with where you are in life. I applaud that he's gone so far, but not everyone wants or needs that.

As much as he reviles me for being where and who I am, I refuse to feel bad about it. I will progress as it fits into MY life, MY means, and MY schedule. I happen to love every facet of the other things I do, even though they don't fall under EMS. And those of you that have families know that your children and their education comes first - that's part of being a parent. My kid's finally in college so I can concentrate on myself.

I just think it's a little narrow-minded not to accept that people are different, and shouldn't be put down for what they've done, or according to some - failed to do.

Dust, if it makes ya feel good to keep slamming me for being an uneducated, undereducated, useless, lowly EMT, you go right ahead. Sticks and stones...

I just can't understand why it's not okay to not have the drive that some people have. I could have been a smart ass and not asked why Dust hasn't started medical school yet if he's so keen on not being complacent with where you are in life. I applaud that he's gone so far, but not everyone wants or needs that.

As much as he reviles me for being where and who I am, I refuse to feel bad about it. I will progress as it fits into MY life, MY means, and MY schedule. I happen to love every facet of the other things I do, even though they don't fall under EMS. And those of you that have families know that your children and their education comes first - that's part of being a parent. My kid's finally in college so I can concentrate on myself.

I just think it's a little narrow-minded not to accept that people are different, and shouldn't be put down for what they've done, or according to some - failed to do.

Dust, if it makes ya feel good to keep slamming me for being an uneducated, undereducated, useless, lowly EMT, you go right ahead. Sticks and stones...

=D> =D> =D>

Very Well Put suzeg487. I applaude you!

To be fair, it's considered poor form to cap on people who make their living in other basic jobs. If that's where they want to be that's fine, though you might occasionally hear people's true opinion on it...but you shouldn't be harassed about it.