Intro and question Re: studying

On the note of studying prior to my paramedic training, would it be wise of me to study as much about medications while I study the paramedic text books?

When it comes to the meds, I would start off by reading up on general pharmacology to get a good baseline of the concepts first. You want to get an understanding of what the various classes of meds do and what systems they work on. There are a lot of good basic texts out there; I've had the best luck with ones intended for med and nursing students. These are simplified enough to get the basics in an easy read. When you are learning at this stage don't fret yourself with dosages and the like; those can be memorized later on when it becomes necessary to do so.

Frankly I think more emphasis should be placed on Pharmacology in EMT-P but just as it is in EMT-B there are concessions that must be made for time and content.

-Trevor

Hey Josh, sorry about the name confusion!

I think getting into your medic books before medic school is a good idea, but before your NR basics tests, maybe not.

The reason I say this is that your basic testing will all be about testing your memorization. I don't mean to be offensive, but you WILL NOT THINK during your basic testing, you'll simply regurgitate the things you've memorized. You will not be given anything that wasn't covered on your skill sheets in your skills exam. You will have a scenario that applies directly to one of those sheets.

Paramedic training is all about "what ifs". That sounds like the type of learning you're hungry for, but is definitely detrimental to your basic testing. If you attempt to make things complicated during basic testing, it gets confusing, and may give you trouble.

Make sure you know your skill sheets cold. Have a firm understanding of the concepts covered in your textbook. Save the more complex medicine until after your basic testing.

And as for your assessment skills coming together? It simply didn't for me until I had patients laying in front of me to put my hands on. It made me CRAZY that I had all this information in my head, but couldn't get it to line up in any cohesive manner! Until I started being responsible for patients. Then it was kind of like running a magnet through a pile of iron shavings. The relevent symptoms seemed to line up in my head...then the treatments, and possible complications....And I've found that as those connections are made...they stick. I get to keep them forever.

So don't get discouraged. You're way ahead of the curve, you just haven't been given the patient contact or responsibility needed to put it all together yet. But you will...

Just my thoughts of course...

Good luck!

Dwayne

Wendy,

You have no idea how jealous I am of you for being able to handle a cadaver. I would love to be able to get my hands on one and sort of "explore" what I've learned about in classes. Have fun with it! And regarding the book, I'm not going to get the paramedic books just yet cause I'm still working on Basic. I have enough on my plate for the remainder of this term as it is. I was referring to Basic exam prep books. So, with the description I made in my last post, does anyone have any recommendations?

Trevor,

I like the idea of studying pharmacology as opposed to the specific drugs I'll need to memorize for my paramedic classes. Kind of reminds me of the saying: give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime. If I can work on just the study of drugs, the memorization of the names, dosages, etc., would probably be significantly easier. Do you know of any specific books that I ought to get my hands onto after I get my Basic cert?

Dwayne,

No worries, I'm absolutely horrible with names, so I have no room to talk!

I wasn't planning on doing any studying of paramedic material until after I got my Basic; as I said earlier in this post, I have enough on my plate this term as it is.

You have no idea how nice it is to know that I'm not supposed to have all of this figured out already. You pretty much nailed it on the head with your description of how I feel right now and how I'm guessing I'll feel once I start really dealing with patients. Luckily I'll get some exposure once I start doing regular ride alongs and when I eventually get a job as a Basic.

Thanks!

Josh

I like the idea of having a conversation with the patient more than simply sticking to SAMPLE/OPQRST. By sticking to the latter, I know how to cover everything, but if I can transition to asking my own questions then I'd probably learn how to better determine what's possibly going on

This will come with practice... and like Wendy said, once you get there, you will know the difference between the "I am really sick" and "I am faking" patients.

EMT-B is like a recipe - you have to learn the basics, then once you have mastered them, you can mold them into something that is comfortable for you.

When being tested, you have to prove you know the basics.

I like your attitude, and that you are searching to learn more. THe other posters have given you some great pointers. I guess the only pointer I have is - be patient with yourself. I have seen students of mine who are where you are, and they think "I don't know anything!" Think back to when you started.. how much more do you know now, than you did then? I am betting your answer is "a lot."

So take a deep breath, do your reviews, and don't panic - you will do great!

Annie,

That's really a great point. I really do know a lot more now than I did when I first started. I think I've gotten more confident with myself as I've explored this section of the boards and found that most people feel the same way I do right now and most of them ended up fine. Doesn't mean I shouldn't be taking a *very* active role in memorizing all of my skills sheets and knowing as much of my book as possible, but I can relax a little a enjoy the ride. Thanks for helping me with that a bit B)

I still would like to know what books to get though since I ought to get the exam prep book ASAP. I'd just rather learn from other people's experiences and get the right book for me the first time as opposed to sort of experimenting.

Thanks!

Josh

These are the couple I used when studying for the NREMT. Given, that was 3 years ago. But here's the links to them on Barnes and Noble.

Numba One

Numba Two

Numba Three!

Go to a bookstore, look through a few, and see which one jumps out at you. Won't reccomend these particulars over others, they're just what I used and they worked for me three years ago. Curriculum has changed, and I don't know how they've changed these particular study guide/practice exam books in response.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Josh,

For a nice pharmacology primer, try "Basic Concepts in Pharmacology - a student's survival guide" by James L. Stringer. ISBN 0-07-145818-2

Most Paramedic texts will include some sort of basic pharmacology coverage as well. Between the pharm section of the text and the aforementioned book you can probably get the jist of what is going on with respect to 'pharm.

Don't forget to look on your own for texts on this (and related) subject(s)...part of the fun of self-directed learning is window shopping the materials. Most large and local bookstores will have at least some useful stuff - when in doubt check the nursing section.

Have fun!

-Trevor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.