First Aid

afd1307

the class is for my college. we have a group of students, around 200, that go on 'spring break alternative' trips across the country. basic first aid meaning what they can do as lay people to help out if something happens with their group. very minimal traumas, allergic reactions, etc. Im thinking less than an hour class. So very very basic.

Direct pressure and elevate. ABC's. Call 911. 30 compressions to 2 breaths.

I don't mean to sound patronizing, but in all honesty, what did you expect? You are asking for something that could be taught in less than an hour.

Brush up on:

Call 911- That's the best anyone can do.

How to check for responsiveness

Chest Compression Rate in "New CPR"

Constant compressions or w/ Rescue Breathing

If they aren't trained in first aid, or EMS; don't bother telling them how to find a pulse

Time wasted, is why they feel "old" CPR methods didn't work more often

Importance of protecting oneself from communicable disease

Don't move accident victims unless necessary

How to safely, with out equipment or training, place an accident victim in the recovery position to protect their airway

Stoppage of bleeding; Direct Pressure, Elevation, Artery Pressure Points, Restriction (TK)

How to dress and bandage

Splints, what you can use to splint, what to do before and after

Application of a sling

multiple uses of the cravat bandage

How to maintain spinal stabilization (I always ask non-ems folks if they have first aid training, before I try and explain how they can help us, help the patient)

Im thinking less than an hour class. So very very basic.

I'd say try and make it more than under an hour, you're going to want to teach ABC, bleeding, 911, probably CPR, safety and probably a bit more.

Grab yourself a first aid book, and see what it has as it's major points. (sometimes theres a quick reference section for the important basic bits)

CPR/AED, Major Bleeding (Direct Pressure, Elevate), 911 Overview, basic bandaging. Even that, don't know how you're going to wrap in to one hour, but I have faith in ya. Good luck!

Oh yeah, quickly go over the Good Samaritan Act, that way if they do have an opportunity to act, they don't hesitate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.