Another Driving Record Question...

golfermike

I think all in all it's the insurance companies that say yay or nay. But at .09...NAY gonna be the word for awhile.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all in all it's the insurance companies that say yay or nay. But at .09...NAY gonna be the word for awhile.

His record has NO reference to DUI or what percentage his ETOH was.

He has a reckless driving, thats it. That could mean many different things. Having said that, it still varies company by company, and is based on their insurance companie's policy or if they are self-insured whether or not they want you on th epolicy.

His record has NO reference to DUI or what percentage his ETOH was.

He has a reckless driving, thats it. That could mean many different things. Having said that, it still varies company by company, and is based on their insurance companie's policy or if they are self-insured whether or not they want you on th epolicy.

Good point. But will there still be a ** area stating BAL in the small pring?

If you really want to make this a career, I wouldn't be that concerned. As a former independent tester of used vehicle limits and applicable laws, I understand your situation. Assuming you are currently employed, continue your education and get an associates degree as a medic. If you don't have job, get one and go to medic school. When it comes time to apply, the charge will be 3 years old and you will have a better chance at forming a career with a medic license. Just make sure there aren't any new charges. That will be hard to overcome.

Here in OH we have a medic and a basic both of which have full blown OMVI (DUI) they both realize that they cannot drive even in an emergency situation, the medic has the stipulation that he is in the back full time (totes, BS runs, anything) and the basic is stuck to a daycar until he gets driving privileges back. HOWEVER this seems to be the exception to the rule. Most Company's will tend to pass you over.

If you really want to make this a career, I wouldn't be that concerned. As a former independent tester of used vehicle limits and applicable laws, I understand your situation. Assuming you are currently employed, continue your education and get an associates degree as a medic. If you don't have job, get one and go to medic school. When it comes time to apply, the charge will be 3 years old and you will have a better chance at forming a career with a medic license. Just make sure there aren't any new charges. That will be hard to overcome.

After I get my EMT-B can I go straight to medic school to get my associates degree? Or will I have to work as an EMT-B for a year first? After getting my associates degree what steps would I take to become a paramedic?

Thanks for all the info guys!

The question of the day and most every day... "what do have to do next"?

The major problem in EMS throughout the country is that no one has the answer to that question - uniformly. Every state, and in many cases every county may answer it differently.

Decisions on your future should be made after you thoroughly research the options within your reach both intellectually and financially. Do not look at getting a paramedic or an associates degree as the end of the game... but more of a stop on the way to the end. Please please look beyond the lights, sirens, drugs, tubes, and promises of sleepless nights to see where you want you life in 5, 10, and 20 years.

Just some rambling from an old paramedic.

Best of luck.

Just read your forum. I am not sure about other places, but where I am employed it would definitely need to be a wait till it was cleared!!!! Especially no longer than it's been. They would more than likely NOT hire you due to this if it was still on record. Like I said, I am sure it depends on the company too. Good Luck!!!!!

Search your area schools to find a paramedic associates degree. At my school, it's basically the core classes for an RN degree except for the classes specific to nursing (A&P, written communication, etc.) along with the standard paramedic course and national registry testing. If you don't have a program like this available to you, sign up for the core classes individually then take the medic course. To find a list of specific classes you should take, do a search on this site, google "paramedic associates degree", or start a new thread addressing the subject. If you want, PM me and I'll send you a list or link for the classes I plan to take.

The question of the day and most every day... "what do have to do next"?

The major problem in EMS throughout the country is that no one has the answer to that question - uniformly. Every state, and in many cases every county may answer it differently.

Decisions on your future should be made after you thoroughly research the options within your reach both intellectually and financially. Do not look at getting a paramedic or an associates degree as the end of the game... but more of a stop on the way to the end. Please please look beyond the lights, sirens, drugs, tubes, and promises of sleepless nights to see where you want you life in 5, 10, and 20 years.

Just some rambling from an old paramedic.

Best of luck.

Good points, but, wouldn't it be nice if a "successful career" didn't require leaving prehospital medicine? I agree though that looking past the next 5 years is important to making appropriate decisions.

I'm in EMT class now and what I want to know is, what are my chances of getting hired as an EMT-B? Would I need to wait till this is no longer on my record before I have a chance at getting into this profession?

Seriously, is this the first time you have even stopped to think about this? Dropping the bucks for a first aid course without first finding out if you can even get a job with it sounds a little impulsive, which is not a particularly good trait for a medical provider.

And EMT is not a profession. It's just a crap paying blue-collar labour job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.