Another Driving Record Question...

golfermike

About a year ago I got a "Wet Reckless". It's not a DUI and on my driving record it's listed as a Reckless Driving Violation and a License Suspension. I know it was a REALLY stupid mistake and I'm thankful that I didn't hurt anyone by doing it. I went through classes, counseling and paid all of my fines. And it has been a wake up call for me.

I'm in EMT class now and what I want to know is, what are my chances of getting hired as an EMT-B? Would I need to wait till this is no longer on my record before I have a chance at getting into this profession?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends.

Every agency has different policies, insurance companies, and requirements. What could be a disqualification for X insurance company, would be a borderline for Y and acceptable for Z. The insuring agencies normally look only at the last 3 years for moving violations and at-fault accidents. There is no true answer to your question that can be found on the internet. I would reccomend contacting the companies you wish to work for, and speak directly with their HR division.

About a year ago I got a "Wet Reckless". It's not a DUI and on my driving record it's listed as a Reckless Driving Violation and a License Suspension.

Perhaps it is a local thing, but, what is a "Wet Reckless"? I'm coming up blank as to a definition, here.

Perhaps it is a local thing, but, what is a "Wet Reckless"? I'm coming up blank as to a definition, here.

We don't have that here either, but I am assuming from what he decribed, he was pulled over and above .00 and below .08 but still impaired?

I'm in EMT class now and what I want to know is, what are my chances of getting hired as an EMT-B? Would I need to wait till this is no longer on my record before I have a chance at getting into this profession?

Why is it that you've waiting to look into this until you've already begun your EMT training?

law.com]

Wet Reckless

n. a plea to a charge of reckless driving which was "alcohol related." A wet reckless results from a plea bargain to reduce a charge of drunk driving when the amount of blood alcohol was borderline illegal, there was no accident and no prior record. The result is a lower fine, no jail time and no record of a drunk driving conviction, but if there is a subsequent drunk driving conviction the "wet reckless" will be considered a "prior" drunk driving conviction and result in a heavier sentence required for a second conviction.

Sorry I should have clarified what a "wet reckless" is. I got pulled over and had a BAC of .09. But instead of taking the case trial the DA offered a "wet reckless" instead of a DUI if I plead guilty. Its sort of a way to get guaranteed convictions in California without spending the money going to trial.

It is a different violation code than a DUI and on my driving record it says "reckless driving" and a lisence suspension. The I still had to go through a DUI program (classes and counseling) but the probation period and fines are about of what you get if you get convicted of a DUI. If I were to get a DUI in the future I would be treated as if this wet reckless was a DUI and would be charged with a 2nd DUI violation. This is something that will NOT happen again as I have learned a very expensive lesson.

Why is it that you've waiting to look into this until you've already begun your EMT training?

I just found out about this website and wanted to get input from people in this community. I have asked other people about this but have received mixed responses. I will try to contact the specific ambulance companies I wish to work for and try to find out what their rules are regarding my situation.

This is a career that I want to pursue even if it means waiting until my driving record clears up. I figured getting my EMT-B license doesnt need to be put on hold so I enrolled in the class.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.