EMT skills event for school

So I'm 18 and three months away from graduating highschool. My school has a program called HOSA and I competed in a EMT competion with it and won theird place at regionals and made it too state which is in four weeks. My partener and I have worked really hard. If we win at state we go to nationals which also means I have a chance at a scholorship which is awesome. At the sametime my dad is putting a lot of pressure on me to win yet when I need him to help me practice he is always working any advice??

Chas

First of all congrats, keep up the good work.

As to practicing get other EMS professionals to help. Your dad means well but sadly like so many of us he sounds like he has forgotten what is most important. Please don't hold it against him as what he does is what he thinks is best for you. Talk to him in a relaxed manner. But still expect to have to get others to help you.

Hope you the best.

I agree with Spanac. Most if the time you get into EMS, learn, and train to save lives. I know you're dad wants you to win, but no matter the outcome of the competitions, you did your best, and hopefully "saved a life". But all in all, learn something, and have fun doing it.

Congratulations to you and your partner!! I know its hard at the age you are to realize that your parents mean well. It feels like they're out to get you even though they really are not. I used to feel that way when I was younger. Sometimes it feels like they're trying to live out their own childhood dream through you. That can often be true, but in your case I don't think it is. Your father just wants to see you successful and happy is what it boils down to. I don't think he's really all about the winning aspect of it but rather at the other end of the spectrum of just wanting what is best for you! Like the other folks here have advised, sit down and chat with him to tell him how you are feeling. Chances are, he isn't aware of how you feel. But sit down and have an adult conversation and explain every bit of what you are feeling. Best of luck to you and I hope this helped you some!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. My dad and I talked lastnight and things with us are cool. I told him that I wanted to win just bad as he wants me to win but that he needs to quit focusing on that because if I don't win I don't want it to feel like I let him down. Well its back to practice for me and my partner both for a written test thats questions and a skills event. Any tips on preparing for that?

Study the chapters in the EMT textbook and write your OWN questions that are similar to ones you've seen during competition. Then answer them. Do that repeatedly with your partner until you are well versed with the material and it springs out easily.

Other than that, keep up the good work! HOSA is fiercely competitive. I was involved briefly at the collegiate level. I quit- had little enough time as it was between school, work, studying and *trying* to have a life lol!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Yeah thats what we plan to do. Today after school we are meeting to practice and to study. We are using some of my dad's old paramedic work book for questions. Would anyone have any suggestions on where to get a medic bag for our supplies?? We need two medium sized ones and we where hoping to get our names put on them. The cheapest I have found one for is $80.00 without our names being added on them and I was hoping to find them for about $50.00 or $60.00?