What EMTCity teaches us?

brentoli

I've decided I'm simply going to keep adding to this thread as things occur to me...It's just to big to figure out all at once...

A couple that just occurred to me tonight. People have given me way too much credit for being brave...I often feel like the biggest twit at the City. But being brave here is learned I believe. There are a ton of obvious folks that help us out, but some that seem to slip under the radar, and they shouldn't.

Fiznat. Completely fearless when he's posting case studies. It's obvious that he puts things out the way they happened, regardless of whether it makes him look brilliant or not. I have read his posts and thought, "Oh hell! I would have lied my ass off about that!" But not him. Learning always comes first. His, mine, yours...everything else takes a back seat. If you haven't read his blog by the way, you're missing out! Medicine is not his only talent.

EmtAnnie...I just read one of her posts. Smart, funny, kind, inquisitive! All the things I'd like to be...I'm going to try and counterfeit her attitude, I swear!

And suzeg487, a newcomer that I hope will be here a long time. She only has a few posts so far but her experience shines brightly through. She seems to define the attitude that I love at the City, right from the start. I'm not sure if she's asked any questions, but has spent her time giving thorough, thoughtful answers to other's questions...pretty cool. (Though the whole WelshMedic connection continues to make her suspect!)

Chbare. If I'm brave it's because of people like him, and the Docs. I can put my two cents into a thread, they will respond with 15 things that I wouldn't have thought of if you combined 50 of my best days, yet leave me feeling like they never would have thought of them if I hadn't brought it up. Terrible smart, amazingly kind, completely unbaitable! They are truly a gift to the City.

Ok...that's it. I'm back to the forums to spread some hate and discontent!

Dwayne

I'm just glad my name gets a mention in this fantastic thread (even though it is in a negative light, Dwayne :) ).

The City is, to me, a great resource for learning about EMS in the US. Also, it gives us clues to the latest developments in our profession. I wish I could spend more time here, but the constraints of working full-time and having a young family limit that.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people around here. There is, generally a very high standard. It sometimes makes me wonder why it is that US EMS is such a mess (according to some on here.....I reserve judgement).

Maybe we should start EMTCity Ambulance Co? (oh no, that was another thread, wasn't it...)

WM

What have I learned on EMTCity? What *haven't* I learned on EMTCity is a better question!

I've learned that there is always another side to the story. I've learned to not shoot from the hip- to take time in formulating my responses, and to not take personal offense (even when something *is* directed at my person).

I've realized that without my supplemental education as a biology major, I would have fallen into the EMT-B's save Paramedics trap and not even realized what I was doing- because that is what our culture conditions so many young EMT's to do.

I've learned to listen to those with experience, and to weigh their opinions, but not to swallow it whole, so to speak. I've learned that my perspective has value, even though I am a young'n, and that even the newest member to the City can offer valuable discourse and help us shake up our perceptions.

I've learned that I don't necessarily have to *fight* or counter every point that I disagree with to have a voice... and that choosing not to argue doesn't mean accepting silence.

I've learned that gentle prodding and leading by example can quiet even some of the fiercest debates. Which surprised me to no end... never expected to have an unspoken forum rule named after me!

I'm not going to go Oscar-esque.. but I am going to mention that I have developed friendships and relationships here that I never imagined, and that some of them have gotten me through some of the roughest times I've had in my life. I won't name you, because you know who you are. I can't thank you enough, and don't have the words to describe how I feel about you guys.

I think almost every member here who contributes adds value to our City, and yes, we all look to the elders, and the prolific posters, and the unique posters as having had special influence. This is because they have. But it does not detract from those who post less, nor does it make their contributions less influential.

I come here to relax, to learn, and to share what little I might have to offer. Thanks, you guys, and Admin, for giving us this opportunity to connect!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I have learned that we are a bunch of egotistical, opinionated, hard headed, obnoxious, stubborn jerks and thats just some of our good points.

But really those points have led to some of our best debates. Often leading after we all calmed down to some of the best educational discussions. As a result I have re-evaluated myself, I have changed how I do some things, I have changed my opinions on some things, and developed a much greater understanding of the environments others work in.

In conclusion I want to thank all the little people. B)

I have learned that we are a bunch of egotistical, opinionated, hard headed, obnoxious, stubborn jerks and thats just some of our good points.

But really those points have led to some of our best debates. Often leading after we all calmed down to some of the best educational discussions. As a result I have re-evaluated myself, I have changed how I do some things, I have changed my opinions on some things, and developed a much greater understanding of the environments others work in.

In conclusion I want to thank all the little people. :)

HAHA, I have to agree, but what I have learned is all the different stuff EMT's can and cannot do in different states, its amazing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.