zoll m-series or lifepack 12

ZOLL SUCKS!!! I have used both, but like the LP 12 due to ease of scrolling through the menus. The CO2 monitor does a better jog, it takes BP's better, easier to pace, easier to defib, 12-leads come out better, the screen is bigger, do I need to go on?

I think LP12 is a west coast thing and Zoll is a east coast thing

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think LP12 is a west coast thing and Zoll is a east coast thing

I wish that were true. Since I am in the middle, that would mean we would get Philips, which is ten times better than either Zoll or LP. Unfortunately, I have yet to see one here.

Yea. I'm in the middle too and we use LP12. I like them though. They are a bit heavy and at times confusing (as far as layout) but overall I can't say I prefer the mover another. I've used a Zoll and I didn't like it. I've never used one of the Phillips though. I've ehard great things about them. AED Pro also sounds like a good investment for BLS only units.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish that were true. Since I am in the middle, that would mean we would get Philips, which is ten times better than either Zoll or LP. Unfortunately, I have yet to see one here.

One of our local fire departments recently purchased the Phillips monitor, and have nothing but trouble with it. Simple things like dumping the charge when the rhythm changes from VF-->PEA/Asystole, having cables connected, etc. Like with any piece of equipment, you have to learn all of the ins and outs of what you have sometime before you need to use it. I'll stick with my boat anchor LP12, thank you very much.

:banghead: Ok Let me explain my previous message and just vented about the LP 12 and Zoll being designed by idiots

Problems with the LP 12

*Heavy (Like carrying a portable TV set, and what Dustdevil said)

*Old screen very hard to see (New screen is better)

*99% of functions can and are done through the idiot knob (yet they have buttons for just about everything) *These buttons are back -up I guess, Problem occurs when you rely on the knob for everything and when you are ready to shock you dump your charge because you have used your knob for every other operation. (except to turn on and shock)

*The case was an after thought and a nightmare to boot. Our case is falling apart, the buttons that hold that back on are almost ripped off. This comes from getting caught on objects, changing the battery, and the 10 lbs of S$*& in a 5 lb sack. Side pockets are not any better.

*Finding room for the monitor cable, 12 lead extension, pox cable, b/p cuff, monitor patches, fast patches, etc proves a real challenge unless you decide to carry it all some place else.

*Not very stable in the back of the squad unless secured to the bench or in a bracket.

* And unless you have the patient sitting up for transport on the cot and have the monitor behind the head (with cargo catch), or you have the table for your cot. Doesn't fit the rail well, you won't go through doors with it on the side and you will be three steps behind or ahead of it do to the size.

*The fixes to protect the defib cable connection have proven entertaining, did they even use the defib cable during testing would be my question. Having to reverse engineer a protection device for such a vital part. :sign3:

Good Things about LP 12

*Almost endless supply of recording paper

*Smart Batteries and charger

*Makes great door stop

Problems with Zoll

*Storage is an issue with small case, same as LP 12 with cables

*Menu buttons are confusing sometimes when selecting from such a detailed software program

*One Battery

*Limited Recording paper(Is nicer when it folds after printing for stapling/storage, unlike LP12 paper)

*Small screen (definition is better though)

Good Things about Zolls

*Lighter/Smaller package, Easier to carry

*Good screen resolution

*No idiot knob

*More Stable with wider base

:angryfire: My biggest problem with them both is that by the time you have the monitor cable, pox, b/p cuff and what ever else attached to the patient you have a real mess. #-o It would be nice to have all those cables and tubes in a loom and then you connect what you need at the end point closer to the patient. But the what the heck do I know, I just work for a living. Unlike the guys who desiqned and approved this mess and probably makes $100,000 or more a year. :bs:

These are my observations. Like I said I don't know how they field test them, but I really wonder who designed them. Does anyone have some of their own observations ? I miss the LP10 profile, it was a lot easier to sling on your shoulder and still get through a door way when carrying someone or pushing the cot. My choice would have been a fold down screen for the new ones. Thanks for listening :salute:

The agency I rode with for clinicals used LP12 exclusively for all of it's rigs. I agree with the complaint about weight. I think that thing weighed more than a couple of the pt's I picked up. The BP part wasn't all that reliable on rugged terrain(probably could be said for most thought) SPO2 sensor not worth crap. Had to use extension on them and half time cables not worth crap. I don't have any experience with ZOLL unit but it's got to be better. LP12 could be reason so many medics quit with back problems. (j/k)

We use the Phillips MRX, with all the extras, except the CPR talking option [no need], I am impressed with this defibrillator, unfortunately I have no experience on Zoll defibrillators, but I would imagine that the Phillips is superior. The long battery life is an extra plus for the Phillips, ans it's easy to use menu is another positive enhancement, prior to that defibrillator we used a Ge defibrillator.

I've only used the Zoll. I came from using a lifepack 10. In my opinion the Zoll does just about everything but cook for me. Its nice at the end of a call to print out the summary of the vitals, shocks, and even drugs; complete with times! I have no experience with the lifepack 12

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ask your rep from Phillips how much it is going to cost once that pretty screen gets broken. Then ask the rep from zoll how much it will cost. If your service only breaks one a year you'll be way better off with the Zoll. The Zoll is very rugged and if you set it up right artifact is not an issue. We were having all kinds of trouble. After a software update and different cables we are rolling with no problems.

BULL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.