zoll m-series or lifepack 12

The only problem I ever have with my good old Lifepak 12 (besides the occasional dislocated shoulder, lol) is that occasionally it decides the fully charged batteries are really in fact "dead" and needs to shut itself off. Popping the batteries back in and out will get it to behave itself. Other than that, I don't ever really have a problem with it, and believe me we are rough on it. Drop, oops, stopped to fast, oops...etc. etc.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LP for me! 16 years of 'em and they are like a Timex. Takes quite a bit to knock one out of service. There are two Zolls that I have experience with. One at a part time job street job and one at a local college where I teach part time. They are finicky and for some reason one of them destroys batteries as fast as we can buy them. They do, however, make fine paperweights. :wink:

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:evil: I wonder where they get the people that design and test the Zoll's and the Lifepak 12. I work two places and use both, one is my full time job where we use the 12 and the other is the transport where I use the Zoll. I think the people that design these monitors are idiots, maybe the are college educated idiots but idiots non the less. And the people that test them do they actually use them on patients, do they only do transports or do they handle actual 911 calls from time to time. Like alot of things in the EMS field, the people in the field rarely get listened to.

:evil: I wonder where they get the people that design and test the Zoll's and the Lifepak 12. I work two places and use both, one is my full time job where we use the 12 and the other is the transport where I use the Zoll. I think the people that design these monitors are idiots, maybe the are college educated idiots but idiots non the less. And the people that test them do they actually use them on patients, do they only do transports or do they handle actual 911 calls from time to time. Like alot of things in the EMS field, the people in the field rarely get listened to.

Nice vent but do you have any specific issues/complaints to bring up?

I do. The layout of the LP12 sucks. Confusing. Not logically laid out. Not easily recognized in the dark, or even at all without focusing. Too much reliance on multi-push buttons. Too big. Too many pointless accessories. Ergonomically a pain in the ass. Basically, I just don't like it.

The Zoll is a tad bit better. Much better layout. And the new M series at least has the handles in a better position. But the design of the case itself, like the LP, leaves a lot to be desired ergonomically.

Ive only had experience with the LP12s but I would like to jump to their defence. I think they are well laid out and easy to use. In SAED mode a child could use it and in manual mode, while you do need to know your way around it, once you have training its a breeze. I like the rotary dial and the positioning of the buttons. The one thing I don't like is it weighs more than our airway bag. Maybe its just because I havn't had any experience with anything but the lifepack, but I think they are great.

If you are just comparing m-series and the LP12 then I would take the LP12, but that's only because I "grew up" on that machine and know most of its quirks. I agree the LP12 is not the most user friendly device, and I hate that stupid rotary knob and 12,000,000 menus to walk through. The m-series I only used with one service and they did not train me very well. I always felt like I was fighting the machine to make it work for me, and we had serious problems with the batteries on the Zoll.

At my current job we use the Welch-Allyn PIC 50. They have really grown on me and I love the color screen. I can't stand the small paper that it prints onto. I haven't seen an EMS service using these yet, but it's pretty common in the critical care transport realm.

We are actually looking at stepping our LP12's up to the one with all of the features, but I'm kind of pushing for the Zoll because the LP12 is to damn big IMHO. Ours have the charging base which makes it weigh a ton.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.