EMS PAY

Jyannotti308

The first trauma I answered was a MVA where the driver impacted the passenger window crank with her rib and pulled her lung out of her chest. Although not ALS at the time, we did rapidly transport her to ALS personnel who intubated and started fluids. They were able to bring her back enough to get her to surgery. I'm pretty sure not dicking around at the scene saved her life. Then there was the time someone gave a baby a piece of beef jerky and it choked right in front of me. I'm also pretty sure NOT panicking like everyone else and removing the obstacle saved the baby's life. Then there was the guy who had a heart attack and drove into traffic head on that I pulled from his car and gave CPR to. He also survived. Or the EPI pen that got used immediately for an allergic reaction when we were 45 minutes from the nearest hospital. After that I quit counting and started applying myself to learning from every call how the little things save lives. Recognizing when my skills are not enough, knowing when I need help. Not just the dramatic para-god kind of stuff that everyone seems to think are more important than the basic stuff. It all counts. It's all important. Although many people with higher training may denigrate the training an EMT B receives, I am sure there are countless thousands alive today because someone with some "first aid training" recognized they were having a real heart attack, a stroke, or other life threatening crisis and did the right thing. They didn't try to play God, but got them where they needed to be.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. But it's still something that pretty much any idiot can achieve in three weeks of training below the 8th grade level. So what makes that so special that it deserves any more than what it currently pays? You drove fast. Big deal. Anybody can drive fast. If that's all we're worth -- if that's all it takes to save a life -- then how can you be surprised that society puts so little value on it?

My service is for a county. Medic school is paid for and you get paid while you go to class. Starting medics make 18hour

Interesting. Do you work during that time, or only attend school?

If you're looking for education that's cheap, Durham Tech Community College in Durham, NC has some pretty good rates for EMT-Intermediate and Paramedic education. I don't know if those rates are for "in-state students," but believe me, those are the cheapest tuition rates I've ever seen:

http://www.durhamtech.edu/html/current/noncredit/ems.htm

The 911 services in NC (at least in the central part of the state) are mostly county-based 3rd services, and aren't bad either.

Here's the link to NC OEMS:

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/EMS/ems.htm

East Baton Rouge Parish EMS

http://brgov.com/dept/hr/getrange.asp?pgrade=1201

EMT - PARAMEDIC

$36,561 - $50,609 Annually 16.7404 - 23.1727 Hourly

Pay Grade 1201

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Under the general supervision of an EMS Shift Supervisor, performs responsible technical medical work of an advanced paraprofessional nature in the emergency care and treatment of sickness and accident victims. Work is performed under conditions of extreme pressure and duress. Employees may supervise subordinate EMT's engaged in field emergency work. Performs other work as requested.

ESSENTIAL WORK TASKS

Administers advanced first aid and treatment to sick or injured patients at the scene of the injury or en route to a hospital as needed. Administers advanced life support procedures such as endotracheal and esophageal intubation, drug and intravenous therapy, and cardiac defibrillation. Completes patient run reports whether patient is transported or not; also completes patient billing and insurance forms. Recognizes and interprets vital signs and reports them accurately to a physician to enable the physician to make medical judgments. Administers prescribed treatments performing such activities as application of splints, administration of oxygen or intravenous injections, treatment of wounds and abrasions, and administration of CPR. Extricates accident victims from damaged motor vehicles. Drives an emergency vehicle as required; performs emergency vehicle equipment inventory and maintenance.

TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE

High school diploma, GED, or equivalent certificate of competency, supplemented by completion of an approved EMT Paramedic course, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.

NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS

Registration as an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, and certification by Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, Office of Public Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services.

SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES

Knowledge of paraprofessional emergency medical practices and techniques of the basic and advanced life support level. Knowledge of the occupational hazards associated with emergency medical work. Ability to remain calm, tactful, and professional while dealing with injured or sick patients and their families. Ability to identify emergency medical situations and administer appropriate medical treatment in order to stabilize the patient's condition. Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written medical instructions. Ability to supervise the work of subordinates in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale. Ability to obtain a Louisiana Commercial driver's license if necessary.

EXAMINATION

Score derived from application grading.

With experience you can start at step 4 which would be $18.2926/hour. 84 hours in 2 week pay period. 12 paid holidays at time and a half.

I'm not sure how many people follow the economy, but I think you should feel lucky if you're:

A) Financially stable (good debt to income ratio)

:lol: You're currently an employed paramedic. Preferably in the public sector, but private too.

The way the economy is looking, some people are predicting a longer-than-normal recession. As the housing market tanks and creditors fall behind, people with stable "decent paying" jobs may well prevail through this recession. Paramedics are needed aspect of public safety/public health/health care, so I doubt you'll see dramatic layoffs. Avoid buying unnecessary crap and there may be opportunities for investment at the end of this economic downturn.

^ hehehe

If you want to make money in EMS as a basic you could come to Canada. Take your Primary Care Paramedic, make $20/hr while taking your 2 yr Advanced Care Paramedic program.

You will end up with about 3 yrs education, then do whatever you want.

Anyone know of programs like this around LA?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.