EMS PAY

Jyannotti308

Department: Emergency Medical Services

Precinct:

Position: PARAMEDIC

Notes: Open Until Filled

Job Summary: Provides optimal emergency medical service at immediate scene of injury of medical crisis. Performs under stress and takes charge in life-threatening situations in order to stabilize a patient or save a life. Maintains proper records, computes charges, and maintains good working relationships with hospitals, doctors and fellow employees. Takes care of equipment, vehicles and EMS stations.

Essential Duties: • Responds to crises in an orderly manner

• Operates emergency vehicles

• Assesses problems & alerts dispatcher if more help is needed

• Initiates EMS disaster plan in the event of a major disaster

• Examines patients & determines the nature & extent of injuries

• Implements basic & advanced life support according to standing orders & state guidelines

• Stabilizes patient before transporting to emergency room

• Monitors patient during transport

• Assist in vehicle crash extrication

• Completes necessary forms, reports, etc.

• Maintain unit and EMS station

• Coordinates efforts with public safety personnel

• Operates two-way radios and related equipment

• Prepares and presents health and safety education programs for the public

Physical Demands: • Assess accident and emergency scenes

• Lift 100 pounds

• Operate EMS vehicles and equipment

• Extricate persons from vehicles

• Handle gurneys

• Must be able to handle extreme stress in crisis situation

• Bend and lift and to perform CPR for extended periods

Work Schedule: Work schedules vary from 24 hours on and 48 hours off to 5 consecutive 9-hour shifts. May be asked to work additional overtime shifts.

Pre-Employment Requirements: Pre-employment physical and drug testing required of all applicants

Environmental Factors: • Works in inclement weather, including extreme heat and cold

• Operates emergency vehicles in heavy traffic at high speeds

Qualifications: • High school diploma or GED

• Must be certified or licensed (licensed preferred) by Texas Department of Health as a Paramedic at time of employment offer

• Valid Texas driver’s license

• Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of emergency care and ability to provide such care under adverse conditions

• Skills in oral and written communication

• Ability to operate EMS vehicles and equipment

• One year of EMS experience as a Paramedic with an Emergency 911 based service, or graduation from an Nationally Accredited Paramedic Education Program, or graduates of those programs whose field internship was with Williamson County EMS required; Two years experience preferred.

Pay: Approximately $50,000/yr plus excellent benefits and retirement.

Not Applicable: 12/31/2008 5:00 PM

Application Procedure: A Williamson County application must be received in the Human Resources Department, 301 Southeast Inner Loop, Suite 108, Georgetown, TX 78626. Position is open until filled. Phone (512) 943-1533; Resumes alone are not sufficient. Electronic submission of applications will NOT be accepted. Applications may be picked up at the Human Resources office at the above listed address or they may be downloaded from the Williamson County Web Page at www.wilco.org/hr. Applicants will be mailed a hiring process packet after establishing eligibility for participation in the hiring process. Williamson County EOE/ADA.

Available Date: 1/2/2007

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from Minnesota maybe we are behind in times but in less you work for the 5 major services in Minnesota you are a volunteer service. I would not want to be on the service about 20 minutes away from me on an average 24hr shift you run around 30 calls a shift. I would not want to work like that. I will take my volunteering any day and give back to my community.

I am from Minnesota maybe we are behind in times but in less you work for the 5 major services in Minnesota you are a volunteer service. I would not want to be on the service about 20 minutes away from me on an average 24hr shift you run around 30 calls a shift. I would not want to work like that. I will take my volunteering any day and give back to my community.

Where in Minnesota?

See, that's why I gave up the street full time. I make WAY much more money working at a prison. It's not the glory job, but hey, my pay about doubled. And i can't say I miss the medicaid "you owe me an ambulance ride" people, and the 3 am stuffy nose.

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned. I work for a tribal ambulance service in SD. Paramedics make $17.45 an hour, I-12.25 and basics somewhere around 9 an hour. Some of the tribal EMS systems are actually GSA jobs with federal benefits, GS 5 or better. Cost of living is cheap, lots of trauma and challenging medical calls. My service pays for medic school if you can relocate, you have to maintain a FT schedule, often a 40 straight

Most services here start between $8.50-$9.50 an hour as EMT's and between $12-$16 for medics, I don't think thats bad.

What is unreal there is a few services by Johnstown, Pa that start medics at $10 an hour, which is horrible because as an EMT I make almost $11 an hour. I can't believe they pay medics so low there.

I wonder every day what will be the future of EMS when you can make more money clerking at the adult bookstore or stocking shelves at the auto parts store than you can in saving someone's life. Our aging population means either the EMT's will be scarce or they'll be a lot older but in any event, pay has to change. I guess we could go back to the "old days" when the funeral home sent a couple people to pick you up and run you to the hospital. Thank God for the ambulance driver, right?

I wonder every day what will be the future of EMS when you can make more money clerking at the adult bookstore or stocking shelves at the auto parts store than you can in saving someone's life. Our aging population means either the EMT's will be scarce or they'll be a lot older but in any event, pay has to change. I guess we could go back to the "old days" when the funeral home sent a couple people to pick you up and run you to the hospital. Thank God for the ambulance driver, right?

I'm curious what you think three weeks of first aid training should earn you?

I'm also curious how many lives your EMTs have actually saved, and how.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.