EMT Programs in Alberta

lscilley

I know CCEMS had many problems getting practicum spots for their students which usually only means on thing.

Yeah - it means that sites are:

1. already booked with students from other programs

2. already booked with students from other programs

3. already booked with students from other programs

4. taking a break from having students constantly for the past year

Some sites will only take students from CMA accredited programs. Some sites take from any school. Some sites take EMT's and paramedics. Some sites take students from EMT, paramedic, and fire schools...

There are only so many sites... and they don't get any benefit from having students other than the satisfaction of trying to better the profession. They don't get paid more, or any other advantage, other than possibly - if they get a really good student - a prospect at hiring someone that will fit well. It is also a timing issue.... if SAIT, NAIT, Augustana, Portage, and other schools all finish the didactic portion of the EMT program at the same time, sites are swamped with students...

I have seen a number of sites where the paramedics are getting so burnt out from having students underfoot all the time, that they are refusing to take on more students until they get a break. I can't blame them. Some students are great, but some require a lot more work and effort. There are CMA requirements for the time a student has to complete the program, which eliminates some sites from consideration as practicum sites. So, I don't think CCEMS having difficulty finding sites "usually only means one thing." There are any number of reasons for an institution to have a hard time finding sites.... NAIT has had trouble in the past, so has SAIT, and so has the fire school....

Just my two cents....

They don't hand out CMA accreditations very easily,but alot of it is just paper work and process.

If all it is, is paper work and a process for putting people through a course, why is it that the schools are having a tough time meeting that? It would seem to me that it takes a little more than showing CMA the paper and process. No doubt they take a look at the facility, equipment for the training, course outline and staff to make the determination for CMA accreditation.

If you want any hope of getting on with a decent service and/or being able to move around at all, take your schooling at a CMA accredited location. Don't waste your money at CCEMS.

According to the canadian medical association The canadian college of ems in edmonton is accredited. Here is the link to the list of accredited paramedicine programs.

http://www.cma.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/50602/la_id/1.htm

When I do pick a EMT program the school would have to have.

1 cma accreditation .

2 student accomodations.

If you look closer CCEMS is registered, it is not accredited. They have their site visit in December, which means it still has more hoops to jump through. Just because there name is on the CMA list doesn't mean that they are accredited. All EMT courses in Alberta have to be going through the CMA process to keep teaching

If you look closer CCEMS is registered, it is not accredited. They have their site visit in December, which means it still has more hoops to jump through. Just because there name is on the CMA list doesn't mean that they are accredited. All EMT courses in Alberta have to be going through the CMA process to keep teaching

So: Why don't you just contact Greg ... i.e. Greg Clarks E-mail Address(es): greg@ccofems.org

I am quite certian he could explain the entire process (s) of acreditation, honestly he has enlightened me on many "other topics" as well. Last I heard he was teaching a course in Norway .... that shmuck ..... ah and those naked saunas ..... and I hear that Finland make's the BEST vodka too ? sorry off topic, shucks.

Greg is very much a plethora of much much information and in many venues, those that listen in his lectures are usually quite impressed.

previso: WELL Ok SOME then ... :roll: :D

cheers

te he

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Every view you get is going to be a very bias one. I see students from all programs ni Alberta.I can't say that I have noticed any of the candidates have been coming to me any more prepared if they came from one school vs another. Focus ont he delivery method and meet the instructors. See what suits your learning style.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.