EMT Programs in Alberta

lscilley

One thing I have observed about Canadian medics is that they are much more open and willing to speak frankly about the quality of their school or service than their American counterparts. It's not at all uncommon to hear Canadian medics telling others of the shortcomings of the paramedic programme they attended. Conversely, in the U.S., it is damn rare to hear that. Everybody identifies personally with their school, good or not, and they tend to run around crowing about how teh awesome it was to anybody who will listen.

Hey thanks dust, thats a compliment, thing is that Kanukistanians are well known to Police their own members just to keep things honest, Carl Jung's observation comes to mind: (That one is are a product of one's environment) Tis a shame really that some peoples environment (wherever they are on in the free world) clearly demonstrate attitudes that speak volumes of their present work environment... I guess I am suggesting that positivity can be an alarmingly good concept to apply on a daily basis, and yes I too have fallen in that pot hole, and it certianly is easy to go down the wrong bumpy road and take others with you, that said: I have great respect for many US REMT-P and B on this site in the exchanges that we see daily well accept for AK, cause he owe's me beers pay up you bum ! :P

If any medic anywhere tells you how awesome their school is, you have to take that with a grain of salt. After all, if you've only been to one medic school in your life, how the F do you know how good it is? But, on the other hand, if any medic anywhere tells you about the bad points of his school, you would be wise to take notes. Sure, it's still subjective, but it was at least significant enough to affect that person. It may affect you too.

Cause They Told us ? .... ok ... really I got nutten here, but great point, it is very hard to compare apples to kumquats if you have never tried one, yet pride in ones "Alma Mata" is ALL good.

Ok may be one passing comment: A sincere appreciation of my respected friend EMT/ PCP Mastabatta who has a keen eye in observation and a extremely effective and very eloquent in applying the Queens English, with poise.

cheers

Comanche, I commend you on proving your point instantaneously. :roll:

Seriously though... this is a DISCUSSION forum and the very point of such a site is to encourage open communication between people with different opinions.

And let's make sure they are REALLY paramedics and not just someone saying they are to save a lengthy explanation of the different levels of care.

hahahahahahahahahahah oh that was good.

:lol:

i have heard good things about NAIT, fairly decent about CCEMS. Augustana and Portage, well you need to work with their teaching style, time frames, etc from what i have heard from students. as for ESA, i have encountered 2 people from there, and they were quite opposite in skill levels, but equally book smart (and schools can only teach you so much, skills truely come from being dedicated and time on car)

comanche made a very good point......look at what you need to learn best, then find a school which suits you!

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
If you want any hope of getting on with a decent service and/or being able to move around at all, take your schooling at a CMA accredited location. Don't waste your money at CCEMS.

Yikes: I thought CCEMS was CMA accredited ? You sound bitter or something did you go to that school ?/

I'm currently taking my EMT course through Alberta Health and Safety Training institute in Calgary. It's an accelerated program, they cram it all into 3 months of class work. It has been the MOST intense three months of my life, but I have loved every minute of it. I highly recommend the school, but only if you are able to be entirely, 100% devoted to the learning process. I would recommend taking a leave of absence, or quitting any job you're in and tell your friends and family you'll see them in three to six months.

The amount of time you spend practicing is incredible. We spend literally 25% of the course practicing skills and doing injections/IV's. The course is difficult, their standards are high, but it offers an amazing learning opportunity. Others may disagree, and I suppose it all depends on your preferred style of learning.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I have met and worked with a few students from AHASTI, they seem very competent and confident.

Just don't go to Flatline Responce, I have yet to run into a student that was prepared for ems after that crash course!

I'm currently taking my EMT course through Alberta Health and Safety Training institute in Calgary. It's an accelerated program, they cram it all into 3 months of class work. It has been the MOST intense three months of my life,

Have you started practicum yet?

I'm currently taking my EMT course through Alberta Health and Safety Training institute in Calgary. It's an accelerated program, they cram it all into 3 months of class work. It has been the MOST intense three months of my life, but I have loved every minute of it. I highly recommend the school, but only if you are able to be entirely, 100% devoted to the learning process. I would recommend taking a leave of absence, or quitting any job you're in and tell your friends and family you'll see them in three to six months.

The amount of time you spend practicing is incredible. We spend literally 25% of the course practicing skills and doing injections/IV's. The course is difficult, their standards are high, but it offers an amazing learning opportunity. Others may disagree, and I suppose it all depends on your preferred style of learning.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Sounds a lot like taking the PCP course in BC. Very few have any love for the Justice Institute though. That level of intensity only works well for a select few. Unfortunately it's the only option in BC. There are only 2 providers of PCP courses (the Justice Institute and the Academy of Emergency Training) and both offer these shorter more intense programs.

Have you started practicum yet?

Sadly I have yet to start practicum. I cannot describe how excited I am, however.

Also, just in addition to my previous post, I'd like to say that regardless of where you go, your education is what you make of it. In the end, it comes down to what you're willing to do for your future.

-BeYouAngels?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.