EMT Programs in Alberta

lscilley

I was wondering if anyone knows which schools offer the best EMT program in Alberta? I am trying to decide where to go and would just like to hear other people's opinions on different schools. I have looked into NAIT, Emergency Services Academy , Canadian College of EMS, Portage and Augustana. Any opinions good or bad are welcome.

I went to NAIT last year and was pleased with the education. I felt prepared for practicum, ACoP testing, and the job itself.

I have friends who went to ESA this past year and they have been pleased in the same manner as myself. They seem well prepared and educated and have had success with ACoP.

Equally so I have watched classmates struggle in both these programs as well as others and who have had more difficulties with ACoP. Much of the onus is on the student for ultimate success wherever he/she goes.

I am in the NAIT EMT program right now and I highly reccomend it.

It is harder to get into and it takes a bit longer than the full-time classes from other schools like CCofEMS.

NAIT only offers the part-time option (Nov-April Tuesday and Thursday Evenings and approx. every second weekend). But if the longer time frame is an option for you, then I encourage you to apply. The Instructors are EXTREMELY knowledgable and there is PLENTY of hands-on learning to be had.

I have to agree with Mastabattas on this... The student's willingness to learn is the largest determining factor of success. You have to be more than just willing to say it, you have to be willing to put in a LOT of extra time outside of class to study, practice and read ahead.

I researched a lot of options before I settled on NAIT and I think everyone should look for THEIR best option before dropping $5,000 on a program.

• 2 weeks later...

Before you go out and ask what programs "are good", figure out what kind of learning will best suit your needs and inquire about each delivery methods available by schools (length of program vs long distance or in class etc)

All you will get here is very biased opinions by users. I would recommend going to already licenced paramedics who have taken students on and ask them what schools they have noticed have strong students.

Much of the onus is on the student for ultimate success wherever he/she goes.

I could not agree more !

Yes everyone has a different learning style, it would be a good indicator to me if the school you choose to research has a means already in place to assess that individuals style and prior to entry to their program, ask if this assessment is available ? ( it could indicate a serious commitment by that institute )

The single most important characteristic is personal maturity and ones ability to keep an open mind, over the long run, sometimes this can be difficult with all of the other personal complications that life throws at us.

I have had the sincere pleasure of working with and pecepting/ mentoring many students from a variety of schools yet personal attitude remains the biggest asset, I have had students that went to sub standard schools, yet these individuals became stellar practitioners, go figure.

But never forget that once the exams, senarios, testing have been completed the sharpest portion of the learning curve (is in my opinion) the first year of real calls.

cheers

Yes everyone has a different learning style, it would be a good indicator to me if the school you choose to research has a means already in place to assess that individuals style and prior to entry to their program, ask if this assessment is available ? ( it could indicate a serious commitment by that institute )

Wow, that's a great idea! :thumbright:

We have a validated means of assessing everything else about our students. I bet there must be a way to do this. Of course, it must be a validated method. We can't just ask people, because they're all going to say they are more "hands on", and don't really need all that book learnin'. :D

We have a validated means of assessing everything else about our students. I bet there must be a way to do this. Of course, it must be a validated method. We can't just ask people, because they're all going to say they are more "hands on", and don't really need all that book learnin'. :D

Dust:

I had one of these assesments done for myself (in High school) the outcome evaluation suggested 3 areas of possible employment;

1- A Polititian

2- A Salesman for used cars.

3- A Proctologest.

So I became a Paramedic kinda made sense to me at the time.

All you will get here is very biased opinions by users.

Comanche, I commend you on proving your point instantaneously. :roll:

Seriously though... this is a DISCUSSION forum and the very point of such a site is to encourage open communication between people with different opinions.

I would recommend going to already licenced paramedics

And let's make sure they are REALLY paramedics and not just someone saying they are to save a lengthy explanation of the different levels of care.

Anyone entering into a career field should do a thorough investigation of all aspects including available institutes to complete training, as well as job prospects in the area they wish to work. To lscilley it would be excellent for you to speak with practitioners of any level, at the services with which you imagine you will want to work one day. I would even go as far as trying to get a ride along as it's a great opportunity to try the service out to confirm if you like the general feel of the place and it's employees. Not to mention... sometimes you can get a giant foot in the door for a future practicum site. It's what I did to secure my practicum site with a service that (for the most part) preferred to take only medic students .

There are many schools in Alberta for EMS training, and it's quite possible that the schools with the better reputation might actually just be very good at sweeping their messes under the rug. Who really knows.

One thing I have observed about Canadian medics is that they are much more open and willing to speak frankly about the quality of their school or service than their American counterparts. It's not at all uncommon to hear Canadian medics telling others of the shortcomings of the paramedic programme they attended. Conversely, in the U.S., it is damn rare to hear that. Everybody identifies personally with their school, good or not, and they tend to run around crowing about how teh awesome it was to anybody who will listen.

If any medic anywhere tells you how awesome their school is, you have to take that with a grain of salt. After all, if you've only been to one medic school in your life, how the F do you know how good it is? But, on the other hand, if any medic anywhere tells you about the bad points of his school, you would be wise to take notes. Sure, it's still subjective, but it was at least significant enough to affect that person. It may affect you too.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.