ER Tech pay more than a medic???

firephil

Ok so I know that this subject has been kicked around many, many, many, many times before, but I just need to vent a little! So I met a guy the other day that works for one of the local hospitals as an ER Tech. We talk about his hours and work conditions, I then proceed to ask him if he is going to become a medic and his answer back to me was why would he when he makes so much more money as an ER Tech. I was floored by this answer. I asked him how much he made and he said $30/hr.!

Not truly believing him I went home and did some job hunting and found out that they start around 20-25hr. A medic here starts at the highest at $22/hr. now it only takes an EMT-Basic to become an ER Tech. I love being a medic, but that is almost tempting to do. Good hours, clean enviroment, no responsibility, and great pay.

Ok I'm done just felt a little raw about it is all.

If your wondering I live in the bay area in Cali. which explains the pay scale.

ER Tech huh? I never heard of that around here. Is it more in major cities?

Larger than what?

I've seen it down to the level of smaller, suburban community hospitals. Never seen it in a remote hospital in a rural area though.

Ok, $30/hr? a tech making more than a nurse in CA ?? mmmm sounds to me like someone has been pulling your leg. To be an ER tech in CA you not only need your EMT-B license but also a Certified Phlebotomist license, most techs start with a salary of $13.00 - $15.00/hr, and the responsibilities are the same as those an EMT-B has on the field plus those of a CNA, you will be doing most of the pt. care; by this I mean cleaning dirty pts, giving bed pans, changing diapers, helping people walk, making beds, taking vitals, getting specimes for tests, changing dressings, assisting physicians and nurses, among others.

What hospital is your friend working at??? Just curious.

Salary range for the overnight ER tech position I just applied for: 11.91-16.50. I'm praying and hoping because I'd rather work night shifts 3 nights a week and make more than I am now working nutso hours with the DD clients. I love my boss, I love my clients, I hate my schedule.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Been a long time since I lived in Northern Kalifornia, so I can't say for sure. But in the Bay Area, $30 dollars an hour is equivalent to about $15 dollars an hour in the South and Midwest because of taxes and cost of living in NorCal. Numbers are deceiving if you don't get the big picture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.