D5 1/2 NS for hangover...

Ecnalubma08

ahhh the famous banana bag! yes...yes this is true! Hey it's what we administer to the Hx of ETOH pts in the hospital!

Anyone know the reason? Is it to treat the drunkenness/hangover? or is there another reason? Any benefit to doing it in someone who is not a chronic abuser of EtOH?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the reason? Is it to treat the drunkenness/hangover? or is there another reason? Any benefit to doing it in someone who is not a chronic abuser of EtOH?

See what I posted above about what is a bag and it will explain it.

See what I posted above about what is a bag and it will explain it.

Thats whats in it...but why those ingredients...random choices? Do drunks need vitamins? (which ones?). Are non-chronic alcoholics at risk of vitamin deficiency?

Just trying to get some discussion going. 8)

The electrolytes and fluids in the banana bag are a no brainer. When you drink alcohol, you tend to get dehydrated (aka the morning hangover headache) and your electrolytes get goofy.

As for the vitamins... B vitamins are good for helping your body recover from any sort of insult, no? Generally those who have been out drinking (either short term binge or chronic abuse) have not been eating well while they've been drinking, so vitamin deficiencies aren't to be unexpected. It's going to be worse in your chronic alcoholic, but it surely can't hurt in your garden variety frat boy type.

Anyone got anything more specific than that? That's just what occurred to me as I sat down and thought about it (haven't had the chance to JFGI yet).

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Ya get tied down for your safety vs the city where they just watch them walk out and don't even blink about it.

One: I (Ecnalubma didn't write the above quote (no worries...just wanted to set that straight)

Two: I work in city hospitals....we usually medicate ETOHers :lol:

IMHO....people like to start IVs because they feel like they are getting more or using their advanced medical training :lol: I feel that oral rehydration is the better way to go unless you can't keep it down...if you need vitamins drink some gookinaid or 50/50 gatorade h20 blend...

A few years ago some medics ran into a great deal of trouble for starting IV's on each other during our state EMS convention. They got trashed the night before and really really sick and one of them had brought fluids in preparation for the festivities. Somehow an OEMS official learned of this and they were brought before the state EMS disciplinary committee for practicing medicine without a license. I don't know what the outcome was.

There was a nurse at a local hospital who was fired for requesting an IV be started on her for a hangover...as was the nurse who started the line. It is, indeed, considered practicing medicine without a license.

As to a cure for a hangover, whatever happened to some personal responsibility and not getting drunk? Seems pretty easy to me.

-be safe

As to a cure for a hangover, whatever happened to some personal responsibility and not getting drunk? Seems pretty easy to me.

-be safe

I agree! I myself do not drink...I do however, have friends that have done the whole IV start for a hangover....i was just curious to see how many others have too.

And any nurse, doc, medic, EMT, etc. who comes in to work even remotely drunk should be fired!...Grow up!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.