EMTcity EMS

brentoli

SSM does not work. It never has, and likely never will. There is no proven way to predict which areas are going to need emergency service with any accuracy. Yet another myth to do away with.

One of these days you will see fire trucks posted at the local krispy kream parking lot. Dispatch will predict more fires in that area. ;)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard about a new call predicting software system out there, being tested somewhere, I'm not sure where but it's supposed to be able to predict 95% of all calls that come out. It tells you exactly where you should put a unit in a 4-6 block area.

I'm skeptical about this, actually more than skeptical.

One of these days you will see fire trucks posted at the local krispy kream parking lot. Dispatch will predict more fires in that area. ;)

Maybe that's why the police are always at the Krispy Kream? The police are just hiding their dispatch system.

SSM does not work. It never has, and likely never will. There is no proven way to predict which areas are going to need emergency service with any accuracy. Yet another myth to do away with.

studys or documents to back your comments?

One of the first lectures of EMS Managment I, says that the peak peroid of EMS follows the demand of electricity. (8a-5p) So having more resources ready to respond during that time is the most basic aspect of SSM. Fluid Deployment being the most advanced way to use SSM.

On the topic of dispatch, would we want to be part of a consolidated dispatch system? Anytown wide? Would we want our own? What would be the requirements. Would our dispatch do EMD? Powerphone? APCO? Our own developed system?

What about trucks? What would our rolling stock be? What features would they have to have? Would they even have red and blue lights? Or just amber ones for when we are parked on the side of the road and no siren? ;)

How would the administration work? What would front line supervisors be responsible for? If we wanted any hope of getting grant money and associated, we would have to have a NIMS compliant staff.

Would we have a refuse to transport protocol?

How about having PRN EMT-B's that are available for last minute fill in assignments and or special event coverage (concerts. fairs, festivals, things suited to the EMT-B scope of knowledge)?

Great. But so far you haven't listed anything that is within the EMT-B scope of knowledge, except for non-emergency IFTs.

I wonder if we could get volunteers to run that? Then it would really be cost efficient!

Great. But so far you haven't listed anything that is within the EMT-B scope of knowledge, except for non-emergency IFTs.

I wonder if we could get volunteers to run that? Then it would really be cost efficient!

I don't want to get too far off track, but why would special event coverage be an ALS assignment? Usualy it is requested by event organizers anyway. It isn't something "needed" we don't sit at the mall all day waiting for grandma to fall down running her laps. It just makes the organizers feel better about their event. Any true emergency you would summon for a transport unit, which I think we agree would be ALS. So how would be out of the scope for these PRN basics to man a first aid station. Charge the oranizers enough to recoup the payroll costs, or just do it as a public service either one?

studys or documents to back your comments?

Wait... this is America, where the consumer asks the questions and the vendor provides the answers. We don't have to prove that it doesn't work, although we already have. The burden is on the vendor to prove that it does work. So far, they FAIL to do that in any system I have witnessed. They all still fall short of their target RTs.

Do you have any studies or statistics NOT MADE UP BY THE VENDOR OR HIS SHADOW ORGANISATIONS that prove SSM works? I have wasted many an hour looking, and never found any.

I don't want to get too far off track, but why would special event coverage be an ALS assignment?

Because people at special events are at least as likely to suffer a serious medical condition as people in the general population, are they not? If we are not prepared for the worst, then we are useless.

Any true emergency you would summon for a transport unit, which I think we agree would be ALS.

Wonderful. And meanwhile, the EMTs twiddle their thumbs for ten long minutes as the crowd looks at them expecting them to actually do something for the person. Real good PR for our organisation. No thanks.

...or just do it as a public service either one?

Sounds more like a public disservice to me. Put your best foot forward, or don't show up at all.

Because people at special events are at least as likely to suffer a serious medical condition as people in the general population, are they not? If we are not prepared for the worst, then we are useless.

Wonderful. And meanwhile, the EMTs twiddle their thumbs for ten long minutes as the crowd looks at them expecting them to actually do something for the person. Real good PR for our organisation. No thanks.

Sounds more like a public disservice to me. Put your best foot forward, or don't show up at all.

So would you propose SCBA, Level 1 suits, and CBRNE kits on all ambulances, since we could be responding to a possible terrorist attack?

What about hazmat? The next county over has a 3rd service EMS, they have their own HazMat decon team. What if any specialties would we want our people to have?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.