EMTcity EMS

brentoli

http://www.demers-ambulances.com/index.php...mp;productId=48

I vote on these rigs. They are as smooth as a type 2 but as roomy as a type 3. Good fuel milage too. but we will have to order them with the roll cages offered by some other manufacturers.

Do we keep the emergency lights?

I vote we take them off the in-town units, and only use them for emergency transfers between cities (I assume we will be doing those?).

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what we do when working 24 hr shifts. There is a kitchen with a stove , a refrigerator and a microwave. We'll arrange to do the shopping prior to coming on shift.

What I meant was a staffed kitchen that cooks and delivers meals to the units at a set time. The system I suggested, ie. have the employees pay for the food and the agency for the kitchen would simply take whatever the cooking division pays for the ingredients for the meals and divide the cost between those employees who use this service.

The agency would pay other costs of running the kitchen, ie. equipment, staff salaries, etc.

Well, if the service was based in MD, to be considered and "emergency Vehicle" the vehicle must be using lights and sirens. Otherwise vehicle must conform to ALL traffic laws. Maybe we would want to give up the lights and sirens and just respond with the flow of traffic. Prove to everyone that running L&S not an advantage.

I vote on these rigs. They are as smooth as a type 2 but as roomy as a type 3. Good fuel milage too. but we will have to order them with the roll cages offered by some other manufacturers.

Do we keep the emergency lights?

Not a fan of Demers products at all. Cheesy stuff. And, if we did somehow end up with Demers, would definitely want to remove the lights and sirens, cuz they're crap.

Otherwise, we still need lights regardless of response policies because we will still find ourselves parked in the middle of the bloody freeway from time to time.

I don't see how this food service thing can possibly work, with crews scattered about the county. This isn't like a hospital staff, where we have a captive audience who doesn't have time to drive to a restaurant. All our people do all day is drive. Do they all drive across the county to eat lunch? Do we deliver meals to them in a parking lot somewhere, since there will only be one central station and no sub-stations? I don't want crews eating in the trucks. Seriously, I don't see any way for this, and I don't see the employees playing along for very long either. I eat great, healthy meals every day at the chow hall on my camp, and I am sick of it, so I either eat junk or skip the meal altogether. Our employees would do the same. EMS people don't eat fast food because it's all they can get. They do it because they drive around and look at those fast food signs all day long and they soon start craving it. This will cost us a lot of money for no benefit because the employees simply won't go for it long term.

Same goes with a fitness programme. They won't do it. You can't put fitness equipment in the stations because, well... there are no stations. And if you put one at the central station, we then take on the liability associated with that equipment. Only the ones who are in good shape will use it anyhow. The cows and weaklings will spend two days there before they say, "f-this" and never come back. Those that do try to make a habit of it will get discouraged when they get no quick results. And nobody is getting any results without either a lot of fitness education and effort, or a personal trainer. It just doesn't work out that easy. Damn few people will ever take advantage of a personal trainer, even if we provide one. I was with a department that provided free membership to a large, professional fitness facility, complete with trainers, and hardly anybody ever went. It just doesn't work.

It is definitely a good idea to promote employee fitness. If we can work a deal with a facility or two to give our people reduced rates on memberships and trainers, that would be great. In fact, if they have to actually pay something, they are more likely to follow through and use it. That's a proven fact. Maybe we can have some incentive plans within the organisation for employees to take advantage of that, but that's really about as far as we can go, and actually get a return on our investment.

I don't mean to dismiss any of these ideas outright. This is all some great outside-the-box thinking, resulting in some ideas with real promise! If there is a way to make them work that doesn't cost more than the return is worth, then hey... let's do it! I just haven't seen anybody successfully do them yet, so I remain sceptical.

American LaFrance or Horton are my two favorites. But with ALF filing for chap. 11 bankruptcy... I dont know anymore.

Also, would we used plain language or Signals and 10-codes for dispatch?

I gotta say plain english instead of 10 codes. NIMS compliant and all. Plus, it just makes sense, everyone talking the same language.

The whole idea was, different departments used variations of 10 codes. Eliminating them allows for clear and concise communication.

Oh, I vote for the Hortons too.

I gotta say plain english instead of 10 codes. NIMS compliant and all. Plus, it just makes sense, everyone talking the same language.

The whole idea was, different departments used variations of 10 codes. Eliminating them allows for clear and concise communication.

Oh, I vote for the Hortons too.

I agree on no 10 codes. They mean different things in different areas....

I think you guys should nix the 10 codes and stay as far away from EMD and the associated codes as possible. Plain English and priority status.

Absolutely. All comms will be digitally encrypted anyhow, so we don't have to worry about anybody hearing or understanding what we say.

I agree, though I have yet to see an example of this system in the US.

But what if the flux compassitor broke?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.