EMTcity EMS

brentoli

One thing I'd like to point out is that there are so many "A"-Type personalities there might be constant squabble. Too many chiefs, not enough injuns. I don't know about anyone else, but I want to be an injun, but I want to be the top injun.

like what we say to/about our registrars in hospital when they are winding people up "chief monkey or deputy organ grinder?"

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see dual paramedic ambulances with paramedic supervisor QRV.

I'm not sure I would officially designate my supervisors as a QRV. That should not be their primary function at all. If they are close on a run, or need to make a complicated scene, then yeah, they should respond. But to utilise them in the coverage equation to make up for an inadequate number of ambulances should not be the case. They should be an "extra", not on the board as an official response unit.

12 hr shifts, 4 days on/3 off, 3 days on/ 4 off.

Shifting may well be the biggest sticking point of agreement between so many people. I like 12 hour shifts. But alternating 4 and 3 days off is confusing. I think I'd rather see it always be 4/3 or 4/4, to eliminate the confusion factor. Makes it a lot easier to plan your off-duty life far in advance. But perhaps there is a compelling reason to mix up the off-day schedule? I dunno. I never worked that.

Definitely no 24 hour shifts, unless we are talking about a very remote system, where employees will be commuting from long distances, and working very slow shifts, where sleep interruptions would be infrequent, not the rule. Of course, eliminating 24s equals no stations, and all the problems that come with stations. You don't have to assign street corners to operate without stations. I never had any trouble finding things to do without a station. And an arrangement can be made with the FDs to hang out in their stations, since our people will be the kind to be considerate of their hosts and not wear out their welcome. After all, we don't need bedrooms on 12 hour shifts. But again, if we are talking about slow, remote, rural areas, then the equation completely changes, and we have to go to dedicated stations.

No SSM! Rather strategically positioned stations.

See above. No stations unless it is a slow, remote, rural area where we run 24 hour shifts. But yes, no SSM. Fluid deployment is a good thing, but SSM is a load of BS.

No fugly uniforms.

Amen! Call me shallow, but that is probably one of my biggest concerns. You only get one chance to make a first impression. And image is everything. But again, this will be one that a lot of people disagree on, making it almost as contentious as shifting.

I say no BDUs. No "public safety" style shirts of any kind or colour. No colours that even remotely resemble public safety agencies in the area. No metal objects on the uniform, including badges, name tags, pins, or belt buckles. No hats of any kind, except for protective helmets when necessary.

It's funny how many people bash scrubs that have never even worn them on duty to form an opinion. I wore them for years on duty and never had a problem. Those who also say they look sloppy are usually people who look sloppy in anything they wear. You can look just as sharp in scrubs as anything else if you try. Our people will either try or find another job. Scrubs are also available in more colours than other off-the-rack uniforms, giving us an edge there. And they are made in heavier fabrics than those you stole from the OR on your EMT school rotations too. They are definitely worth giving a serious look.

Custom made flight suits are also a favourite of mine. They too are available in colours and options you can't find at Gall's or Joe's Police Supply. Unfortunately, they look bad -- and are very restrictive -- on fat people. As much as I would like to say we won't hire fat people, this is the real world. And there are some exceptionally qualified people out there who also happen to be fat. Fat does not necessarily equate with slob. Fat, we hire. Slob, we don't hire.

A nice combination uniform is flight pants or non-BDU style EMS pants with a airline style uniform shirt that doesn't have the scalloped pockets and badge holders and sewn down epaulettes like police shirts. Polo's could be used in the summer, although they really don't provide any benefit over the airline shirts, as far as heat comfort. In fact, they are not as good, because they are tighter fitting. Plus, Polo's get nasty looking faster and won't last as long. Not a fan of the Polo's at all.

Sorry, but the shirts WILL be white. No debate. I think a nice dark, Kelly green for the pants, following along the Europaean model. Although, if the cops in our area are wearing green pants, that may have to change.

No patches on the shirt. No nametags. No badges. Everything is embroidered, and kept simple.

A IFT division could work. It might be an incentive for those not medics to become one.

No non-emergency or non-medical transports. We are not a horizontal taxi service. We are not a training ground for wannabes. We are EMERGENCY medical service only. And we are a dream destination for the best of the best.

That brings up another issue. NO Explorer or other youth programme. Period. As much as I love the concept -- and I was one myself -- every single one of those programmes eventually goes bad, hurting the kids and the sponsoring agency. I hate to say it, but the 1960s are over, and the times have changed. This is simply not a good idea anymore.

Good idea with the ePCR.

Not familiar with ePCR or any of the others. The only electronic charting I have used was a proprietary programme used by that agency. There weren't a lot of boxes to check or statistical nonsense. It was just basic pt. info, and then an area for a SOAP narrative typed in by hand. I like that. I dislike checking boxes and drop-down lists. I want to read exactly what my medics intended to write, not just whatever boxes they checked because it was closest to what they saw. This also eliminates the problems of the wrong boxes being accidentally checked, screwing you in court.

The only reason I even like electronic charts at all is because it is a little more secure, easier to read, and time stamped, so we will know if a medic is sandbagging his charts to the end of the day, instead of completing them immediately after each patient. That, of course, is a firing offence. Otherwise, I'm really just as happy with handwritten charts.

No hats of any kind, except for protective helmets when necessary.

I suggest mandating helmet usage for the patient compartment.

Custom made flight suits are also a favourite of mine. They too are available in colours and options you can't find at Gall's or Joe's Police Supply. Unfortunately, they look bad -- and are very restrictive -- on fat people.

The gravitationally exceptional are not the only group that flight suits don't work for. Since a shoulder mobility restricting injury a few years ago, I've not been able to find one that I can get into/out of quickly. Besides, they are god awful hot in the AZ summer. :P

A nice combination uniform is flight pants or non-BDU style EMS pants with a airline style uniform shirt that doesn't have the scalloped pockets and badge holders and sewn down epaulettes like police shirts.

I like it so far.

Sorry, but the shirts WILL be white. No debate. I think a nice dark, Kelly green for the pants, following along the Europaean model. Although, if the cops in our area are wearing green pants, that may have to change.

What's wrong with Navy pants?

No patches on the shirt. No nametags. No badges. Everything is embroidered, and kept simple.

Many places require a designation of level to be clearly visible. Knowing that every employee is a paramedic isn't good enough for the bureaucrats.

No non-emergency or non-medical transports. We are not a horizontal taxi service. We are not a training ground for wannabes. We are EMERGENCY medical service only. And we are a dream destination for the best of the best.

All well and good, but how do you propose to keep this business running long enough to demonstrate it is worth being a dream destination? IFTs are where the money is made, not 9-1-1.

Not familiar with ePCR or any of the others. The only electronic charting I have used was a proprietary programme used by that agency. There weren't a lot of boxes to check or statistical nonsense. It was just basic pt. info, and then an area for a SOAP narrative typed in by hand. I like that. I dislike checking boxes and drop-down lists. I want to read exactly what my medics intended to write, not just whatever boxes they checked because it was closest to what they saw. This also eliminates the problems of the wrong boxes being accidentally checked, screwing you in court.

A little editing does wonders for making sure you don't check the wrong boxes. :) There are dozens/hundreds of different vendors for this, and the QA/QI aspects alone are well worth the investment.

The only reason I even like electronic charts at all is because it is a little more secure, easier to read, and time stamped, so we will know if a medic is sandbagging his charts to the end of the day, instead of completing them immediately after each patient. That, of course, is a firing offence. Otherwise, I'm really just as happy with handwritten charts.

Handwritten charts are working their way out of everyday use for most places. To be a targeted employer that is going to be seen as progressive, and highly advanced, we've got to look at every possibility.

What is an airline style uniform? I can't picture it in my head.

All well and good, but how do you propose to keep this business running long enough to demonstrate it is worth being a dream destination? IFTs are where the money is made, not 9-1-1.

Unless we are getting government money like the FD and PD.

A little editing does wonders for making sure you don't check the wrong boxes. :P There are dozens/hundreds of different vendors for this, and the QA/QI aspects alone are well worth the investment.

Handwritten charts are working their way out of everyday use for most places. To be a targeted employer that is going to be seen as progressive, and highly advanced, we've got to look at every possibility.

Don't forget people like me. If you want a completely legibe handwritten chart from me, our truck will be out of service for a hour after the run, and you better make those boxes plenty big.

Brent, I think he is refering to a uniform that is white with sewn in creases, epaulets like this one. Don't think we should use the tie or captain ranks though lol.

http://www.tallyhouniforms.com/p_shirt1.htm

We wear these with the quick zipper, metal gold nametag, gold ems collarbrass, and a special made gold caudecus for our service that is worn in the badge holder top slot. We also have stork pins (blue or pink), code save, and field code save pins that we are awarded.

Unless we are getting government money like the FD and PD.

Don't forget people like me. If you want a completely legibe handwritten chart from me, our truck will be out of service for a hour after the run, and you better make those boxes plenty big.

Lets have everything computerized so no info is lost, forget about hand written charts paper gets lost very easily, yes on the unit have the call sheets but then put it into the computer after you get back

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.