Work in Atlanta, GA?

pierce

I'm considering moving back to Atlanta, GA and I was wondering about EMS systems in the area. I'm an EMT-I with 3 years of experience and a college degree, so I'm not terribly worried about getting a job. I'm just curious about the systems in and around Atlanta.

Can anyone tell me about the systems? Who's got the best supervisors/management? What kind of schedules do full-timers deal with (ie. 24/48, 24/72, or 12s)? Which system will run you into the ground before giving you a break, and which system really looks out for their people?

I guess these are pretty specific questions, but I'm trying to get a feel for the area. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have lived and worked in Atlanta for about a year now, and from what I've seen, Grady EMS provides about the best experience you can get in EMS, especially if you don't want to go the fire route. The pay is good, you will work 40 hour weeks consisting of either 8, 10, or 13.2 hour shifts, the protocols are good, the medical director and education department are very active and hands-on, and the benefits are great for a non-fire based organization. Other good options in the area would be Dekalb fire, Gwinnett fire, rural metro, and metro atlanta, but I cant speak to any of those as I have no experience with them. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Never been there but they tell me it's nice. I've known some that has worked there and mostly they said if you can tolerate the traffic it's not too bad in most parts.

I don't know if they do convo, but they are the 911 service for the entire city of Atlanta.

If you're looking for hardcore big city EMS, Grady is one of the best places in the country to do it. According to what I saw on CNN, they're the busiest trauma center in the U.S. Sanjay Gupta (from CNN) is one of the trauma surgeons there. However, Grady is having some serious money problems due to the staggering number of indigent patients they treat. They're being taken over by a new board of directors and turned into a non-profit. That usually means layoffs. You might want to read up on 'em in the Atlanta newspapers online.

I've heard Grady was having budget problems and such, but its good to hear run the 911 calls. I am looking to get some big city experience. I've been working in Upstate South Carolina and want to come home Atlanta and work a big city for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm considering moving back to Atlanta, GA and I was wondering about EMS systems in the area. I'm an EMT-I with 3 years of experience and a college degree, so I'm not terribly worried about getting a job. I'm just curious about the systems in and around Atlanta.

Can anyone tell me about the systems? Who's got the best supervisors/management? What kind of schedules do full-timers deal with (ie. 24/48, 24/72, or 12s)? Which system will run you into the ground before giving you a break, and which system really looks out for their people?

I guess these are pretty specific questions, but I'm trying to get a feel for the area. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm here in Atlanta. PM me if you have any questions. If you're looking for 911 units here is your options:

Grady: City of Atlanta, 911 only

Rural Metro: All of Fulton County that isn't served by Grady (north/south fulton) 911

AMR: Runs 911 BLS in Dekalb County, ALS transport is fire based by Dekalb Fire/Rescue

Rest of metro Atl:

Gwinnett County-fire based

Dekalb County-fire based

Cobb County- utilizes several small EMS companies for coverage

Clayton County-fire based

Henry County-fire based

Forsyth County-fire based

I'm sure I missed some, but there are the few options! good luck and PM me if you have any other ?'s.

I've heard Grady was having budget problems and such, but its good to hear run the 911 calls. I am looking to get some big city experience. I've been working in Upstate South Carolina and want to come home Atlanta and work a big city for a while.

Grady is transitioning from a county authority to an independent non-profit, which will make it eligible for more external funding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.