AMLS Class?

AnthonyM83

For those of you in the San Francisco Bay area, the SF Paramedic Association offers some decent classes.

This is their link with a description and a sample AMLS pretest.

http://www.sfpaonline.org/detail.lasso?classid=59e20on0iipz

http://www.sfparamedics.org/pages/pdfs/cou...AMLSPretest.pdf

Sidenote: They also offer a good airway class occasionally.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you found the answer you were looking for about the AMLS Course. The course is sanctioned by the National Association of EMT's. With the EMS alphabet courses, you have ACLS that covers Cardiac and Some Stroke issues. Then you have either ITLS/PHTLS which deals with the trauma. AMLS looks at all of the other medical issues in between. It focuses more on assessment, and making a differential diagnosis for what is going on with the patient. I have taught a couple of the AMLS courses and loved it. I think it is a good refresher course for the seasoned medics, but an excellent course for just starting out..

As an AMLS instructor, let me give you the basic "gist" of the class. AMLS will teach you to assess, come up with field Dx with differentials, and properly treat your pt without lab values, SpO2, EtCO2, Accu chk, ECG, or CT's... all in 10 min or less. They will show you some hands on assessment tests that physicians are taught. It is an excellent course. I love it.

In my medic class we just got done with AMLS last week. Like MSDelta said, it just teaches you assessment skills that help you come up with field dx and a list of differentials utilizing vitals, chief complain, and other tools a paramedic has. I actually found it very informative and would recommend it. For me it was a 2 day course with both lecture and lab time. The labs are scenarios designed to make you think and go through the assessment process from initial scene size-up to when you make your field dx. If you have any questions just give me a pm and I can try and answer them.

Ames