What to do about a jerk partner?

Beeb

I'm sure many others here have had this problem, but it's my first time dealing with it so I'm asking for advice/discussion/a sharp blade to open a vein with... :wink:

I just started running with a new medic partner in the private I work at the other day (I'm an EMT-I). While he's new to my company, he's got many years of experience in EMS. I think it's the only job he's ever had. He seems to be a more than competent medic who's willing to let me do things in the back to prepare for medic school myself, but the problem is he is the most abrasive, obnoxious, insulting, and I'm afraid, laziest person I've ever met. My ops. director actually apologized to me for sticking me with this guy, but since we're short on medics like everybody else, there wasn't much choice. Now I have to spend 24 hours every 3 days with him.

He's the kind of guy who thinks he's being funny & charming by insulting you every chance he gets, like Don Rickles. He's riffed on everything from my age (he's about 9 years younger than me) to my weight (I could lose a few lbs.) to my IV skills (not the best, but getting better). He does this when we're alone, in front of patients, and in front of the ER staff. He's also the kind of guy that uses stupid nicknames, i.e. Spanky, Doofus, Chief, etc. I've told him several times to drop it, but he continues on. He even asked me "so, do you want to grow up & be a big boy paramedic?" Repeat that sentence in your head in a voice like you were speaking to a 6 year old. That was his way of asking me if I was going to medic school, and he was serious in his tone.

Here's a good example. Last shift, we were on an elevator at the hospital. A Dr. named Kramer gets on. His name is on his lab coat. My partner looks at him and actually said "Kramer? Do you know the real Kramer?" He really thinks things like this are funny and endear him to other people. His pickup lines to female R.N.'s and such are equally as cringeworthy. I never heard anybody seriously say to a woman "is it hot in here or is it just you?" until the other night.

In only 2 shifts, he's already angered & irritated his superiors and the other medics in the company, one of which told him point blank after only 30 minutes of being around him and in front of everybody, "you're a (rhymes with turducken and gas hole). Don't ever speak to me again for as long as you work here, which won't be long". When asked yesterday morning to stay over for one hour to run a heart cath call, he said no because he was "too tired" (we had just slept for 6 hours). Even the dispatchers can't stand him because he doesn't keep track of his times on a call & constantly radios back for them or goes into dispatch to get them from the computer. He also uses "that tone" and his "charm" on the air when marking in service, on scene, etc.

I know that this guy is not gonna get fired unless he does something monumentally stupid with or to a patient, whereas if he doesn't like me, I'd probably be out the door because I'm a dime a dozen EMT-I. I'm trying to hang on to a good paying gig here (I know, "good paying" isn't a phrase we read very often here) to pay a mortgage & support a family, like the rest of us, so if anybody has any ideas on how to deal with him, tolerate him, or dispose of his body, I'm all ears.

Thanks for letting me rant. I feel like Dennis Miller, except none of this is really funny (then again, neither is Dennis, lately).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this guy's name Randy? Not only did I have to work with the guy, I had to share an apartment about the ambulance building for about a year and a half. You described him to a T. His Paramedic skills were barely sufficient. Proven by all the write up he had against him. He was also the type that he would ask you a question then argue with you saying it was wrong. If he thought it was wrong then he must have known the right answer some how. Most of the time I could at least tolerate him, but at one time I was either going to jump out a window or push him threw it. He actually reminded you of Frank Burns on M*A*S*H

One day I was working on a rig's engine and he came up to me and said he had bad news, he was leaving. I said I hated to see him go, but inside I was tap dancing.

You mention that you've asked him to stop the nicknames, but have you taken him aside for a more formal talk? Although he still may not get it, there is a chance that if you sit down with him at the station at the start of your next shift and tell him your issues that he may finally process them.

People aren't as wonderful as we might wish and maybe he will just continue, but it is worth a shot. If I were you, I would focus only on the most important issues (e.g. nicknames, talking down to you) and leave out the smaller issues (e.g. laziness).

Good luck!

What you have described is a hostile work environment. It is illegal and does not have to be tolerated. The decision is yours. DO not allow yourself to be the victim.

Document, document, document. I have said this before and to many, many different people, all who have claimed hostility, sex harassment or pure out non job performance.

Remember with your report writings...if you didn't write it down, it did not happen.

Same thing with this situation. Time, date and what was said and quote if you can, include yourself on how you asked him to stop and said it was offensive. When it comes time to go in the office and you whip out a notebook that is detailed and time stamped and his jaw is on the floor cause he sounds like the cocky, arrogant type that would walk in unprepared cause he is "untouchable", who do you think they are going to believe?

Being a medic will be irrelevant. You also said this is a private company. When you make your complaint, not only do you have your personal issues, you also have the image of the company to protect as you are a dedicated employee and aspiring paramedic. You are more of an asset to them than he is eventually.

Document how he is representing the service to the nurses, docs and patients. Yes this takes a little effort on your part, but if you are upset enough then you now know what you need to do.

Do not be afraid to get people writen up or even terminated. I have done it and will do it again. It is they who put themselves in the predicament, not you, and it is they who must accept the consequences of their actions.

Good luck!

Boy Beep..i've been in your shoes. I was an emt-basic at the time working with the biggest jerk that ever lived. My supervisor also apologized to me before they put me with him with a "So, hope this works out..you seem to get along with anyone.." Kind of thing. I agree with AK on the documentation...keep a little notepad in your pocket and write in the bad boy like a 13 year old girl with angst! Man, you have my sympathies. I know what it's like to dread going to work because your partner is a bouche dag (switch em'). Hopefully his employment with ya'll is as short as the amount of time it takes him to make a first impression!

Boy Beep..i've been in your shoes. I was an emt-basic at the time working with the biggest jerk that ever lived. My supervisor also apologized to me before they put me with him with a "So, hope this works out..you seem to get along with anyone.." Kind of thing. I agree with AK on the documentation...keep a little notepad in your pocket and write in the bad boy like a 13 year old girl with angst! Man, you have my sympathies. I know what it's like to dread going to work because your partner is a bouche dag (switch em'). Hopefully his employment with ya'll is as short as the amount of time it takes him to make a first impression!

Brandi, I have apologized over and over, I am sorry how it was when we worked together...:):):)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.