What is going on here?

Riblett

I am not sure if this is an early sign of burn out or not, but I have begun to somewhat avoid those who are not in EMS or at least public safety in general. They just irritate me so much lately. I have not problems with patient care or my co-workers. But dealing with friends of mine who are in different fields is no longer an enjoyable social activity.

I was having a drink with some friends, who are not in EMS, last weekend. Well one of them was trying to get me to tell him some 'cool stories' and I had the urge to throw my Appletini at him. Is that bad? Has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it?

I see your problem "Appletini", just not a true EMS drink. Just kidding.

But at times it is nice just to not have people asking the stupid questions. I get tired of telling people all I had this shift was shark attacks. ( I live no where near water ). It sounds like it is time for a vacation with family that know you will not discuss EMS and forget about everything for a week or two. I do not think you are burned out in the true sense of the word.

I usually tell them that I work for the Federal anti terrorist task force. when they ask me why I'm in the area I tell them that XYZ naval base or airforce base is missing 24 vials of high grade anthrax.

That usually freaks them out.

Or I tell them that I work as a medic and just got done treating a victim of smallpox or some other exotic disease. Oh I also tell them that "it's not airborne" pregnant pause for effect, and then say "at least they don't think it is."

Oh yea, I've been there. And I found it to be worse being around some family members even, especially my brother. I've always said that even when growing up the only thing we had in common was our last name. At one point I noted when being around some friends were that it seemed like we ran out of things to talk about. If you did start talking about EMS or something they just didn't relate to it. I really don't think it's burn out though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.