Recommendations for Paramedic Program in MA

soccer35

Hey all

Had my EMT-B since October and have planned all along to make the leap to medic. Would have done it sooner but I'm getting married in June and the thought of being in medic school and trying to deal with the bride was a bit too much.

So I am looking for a program here in Mass starting in the fall.

I know what programs there are out there, I want to know your thoughts on what the good ones and the bad ones are, and why.

I plan on visiting the ones I've heard good things about to do some hands on research, and even take a con-ed class with each to see just how they really are as teachers.

But any other input would be much appreaciated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my view of the paramedic program, I recommend the Northeastern University paramedic school training based out of their campus in Burlington, MA. The course has been going through some changes recently-- but I think its all for the better. Its worth giving them a call and trying one of their CEUs.

Just my $.02.

DEs

First, the bad news. There is not a single nationally accredited paramedic school in the state of Massahoweveryouspellit. Not to say that there are no quality programmes there. Just saying that, if you ever leave Mass, you may be leaving without your licence. If there is the slightest chance you will ever move away, then that is something you would do well to consider carefully.

Aside from that note, longer is better. Do the math. A programme that results in 900 hours of instruction is always going to be seriously inferior to one that runs 2300 hours. There is no such thing as "good enough" in medicine. And if you start with a low-hour, fly-by-night course for your foundation, your professional development is sabotaged from the starting gate. Choose wisely, not expediently.

Of course, that does not mean that the two year programme is necessarily better than the 9 month programme if they both result in the same number of hours, so don't be fooled by calendar length. Hours are hours. And if you are Mr. Ubersmart Superbrain, and can digest and understand two years of information in a year, more power to you. But honestly, most people in EMS cannot, so you had better HONESTLY evaluate your own learning style and potential before choosing a short calendar course. I have had many a good laugh over guys who pay thousands of dollars for an "accelerated" medic course only to fail, and then have to go back and pay for another, longer course later on just to pass.

Also, any school that lets you in without first taking science foundation courses in college first -- like Anatomy & Physiology -- sucks. They are attempting to build your career without a foundation, resulting in significantly decreased understanding, comprehension, retention, and competence for you. Paramedic education is about much more than a patch. You don't have to stick around EMT City very long to realise that not everybody who earns that patch knows WTF they are doing. Do it right from the beginning. Build a foundation before building your career.

First, the bad news. There is not a single nationally accredited <http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a> school in the state of Massahoweveryouspellit. Not to say that there are no quality programmes there. Just saying that, if you ever leave Mass, you may be leaving without your licence. If there is the slightest chance you will ever move away, then that is something you would do well to consider carefully.

Aside from that note, longer is better. Do the math. A programme that results in 900 hours of instruction is always going to be seriously inferior to one that runs 2300 hours. There is no such thing as "good enough" in medicine. And if you start with a low-hour, fly-by-night course for your foundation, your professional development is sabotaged from the starting gate. Choose wisely, not expediently.

Of course, that does not mean that the two year programme is necessarily better than the 9 month programme if they both result in the same number of hours, so don't be fooled by calendar length. Hours are hours. And if you are Mr. Ubersmart Superbrain, and can digest and understand two years of information in a year, more power to you. But honestly, most people in EMS cannot, so you had better HONESTLY evaluate your own learning style and potential before choosing a short calendar course. I have had many a good laugh over guys who pay thousands of dollars for an "accelerated" medic course only to fail, and then have to go back and pay for another, longer course later on just to pass.

Also, any school that lets you in without first taking science foundation courses in college first -- like Anatomy & Physiology -- sucks. They are attempting to build your career without a foundation, resulting in significantly decreased understanding, comprehension, retention, and competence for you. <http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a> education is about much more than a patch. You don't have to stick around EMT City very long to realise that not everybody who earns that patch knows WTF they are doing. Do it right from the beginning. Build a foundation before building your career.

Dust

You may call me one of you disciples, I already looked for an nationally accredited program here in the Bay State after seeing one of your posts, and came up with the same dry well.

I would have already gone the medic route, were it not for the wedding, so I already know I learned next to nothing in EMT class, and most of what I know now has been from books I've bought and read on my own.

The NU program looks good, but its full time, and costs a fortune. And I cant afford to pay for that and work and earn enough to support myself, let alone a wife, our cars, the house etc.

The part time route is my plan. The problem is there are so many courses here, that they all sound the same. And you cant distinguish quality from a website.

I dont want a patch. I want a career based on a super solid foundation

I could order a freakin patch of e-bay, and be a useless whacker like anyone else

I want more

I would have already gone the medic route, were it not for the wedding, so I already know I learned next to nothing in EMT class, and most of what I know now has been from books I've bought and read on my own.

Yes, being a mature adult is a double edged sword. On the positive side, it makes you much more intellectually prepared for such an education, usually more discipline and commitment, and gives you valuable life experience that makes practical application of medical theory much easier. But, on the negative side, being an adult usually means you have more adult commitments in your life that get in the way of your pursuits. Obviously, that's what you are facing now, and I both sympathise and relate with that.

Maybe the best way for you go go right now is just to work on the important prerequisite courses, one or two courses at a time. It's not enough to be a serious complication in your already complicated life, but enough to keep you progressing intellectually and professionally. Part-time medic school isn't usually such a great thing. Something is lost in the delays. It's like the difference between taking two years of Spanish in high school, and just living in Mexico for 6 months. The constant exposure to the subject just works out a lot better than the slow, steady plan. With the wedding and all, I think I'd just start getting A&P I and II, and Microbiology, and Psych, and Sociology out of the way for now. Once the home life has stabilised, you will have a solid foundation to build upon, as well as a better understanding of what options are available to you, school wise. Then you can dive in head first and immerse yourself into any programme and obtain the maximum benefit from it.

By the way, we will be getting married around the same time. Good luck!

Following up on the advice of others, I will recommend one additional program that I have heard good things about from several people. I will mention that I am in no affiliated or have any connection with either of these programs.

The program is called ALSI-- the Advanced Life Support Institute-- and while it is not in MA (just over the border in Conway, NH), it provides for MA Paramedic certification. The program is cheaper, but still seems to be of very high quality.

I wish you good luck on your pursuits, and congratulations on the upcoming marriage.

I'd highly recommend checking out QCC in Worcester. I've heard nothing but good things about the program, and from what I hear their graduates are the only ones that Worcester EMS allows to do ride time with them. If I still lived there it'd definitely be my choice.

I took PHTLS with ALSI. Learned a lot. Don't know if I'd be able to put up with the office manager/instructor for a year though.

Back in the day, Springfield college was a top level paramedicine program. Many of us grads from the winchester square school for troubled youth are still practicing in the field. Don't know how far you are from there, but worth considering. They also have a great P.A. program

Hey all

Had my EMT-B since October and have planned all along to make the leap to medic. Would have done it sooner but I'm getting married in June and the thought of being in medic school and trying to deal with the bride was a bit too much.

So I am looking for a program here in Mass starting in the fall.

I know what programs there are out there, I want to know your thoughts on what the good ones and the bad ones are, and why.

I plan on visiting the ones I've heard good things about to do some hands on research, and even take a con-ed class with each to see just how they really are as teachers.

But any other input would be much appreaciated.

Spend the time, spend the money, go to Northeastern University. Their medic students come down to Newark, Jersey City (minor league AAA ball) and NYC (minor league AA ball) to do their ride time.

NOTE: Just busting balls to the JCMC and NYC guys. But we're still better. :twisted: