three years later

I think expecting a teenager to NOT be affected by an effing pediatric trauma arrest is a little cold. You must have a fantastic bedside manner. :roll:

Maybe, just maybe, this is one of the reasons for not having teenagers on the ambulance. Asysin2leads is just emphasizing the fact that we as adults and EMS in general have to deal with this sort of thing. While it isn't pleasant, it is the job. If you can't handle it, find another career path while they're still young enough to do it.

There was a seasoned medic of 10 years in the next County that is an acquaintance of mine. He ran 3 pedi codes in 2 weeks and turned in his stuff. He couldn't deal with it anymore. How can we expect teenagers to cope with it?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think expecting a teenager to NOT be affected by an effing pediatric trauma arrest is a little cold. You must have a fantastic bedside manner. :roll:

Like some of the others here, I implore you to seek professional help in dealing with this issue. There is no shame in it.

I totally agree. Yes, it was a bad experience. You wouldn't be human if it didn't effect you. Get help, hang in there. Please don't quit. And not to scare you off, but you'll have worse experiences than this. Stay strong. You have a lot of folks here behind you, including myself. :wav:

Maybe, just maybe, this is one of the reasons for not having teenagers on the ambulance. Asysin2leads is just emphasizing the fact that we as adults and EMS in general have to deal with this sort of thing. While it isn't pleasant, it is the job. If you can't handle it, find another career path while they're still young enough to do it.

There was a seasoned medic of 10 years in the next County that is an acquaintance of mine. He ran 3 pedi codes in 2 weeks and turned in his stuff. He couldn't deal with it anymore. How can we expect teenagers to cope with it?

Where did you get the idea that I approved of teenagers on an ambulance?

I do NOT approve of holding a teenager to the same expectations as someone who's done the job full-time for 20 years or whatever. And as you said, sometimes even then you hit a breaking point.

Where did you get the idea that I approved of teenagers on an ambulance?
I didn't. I'm saying if it still effects someone after 3 years, and being a teenager, they shouldn't be on an ambulance period.

Don't get so defensive.

Hello EMTb Ashley,

That is a horrible experience for a young person. It shakes your view of the world.

I agree some professional help is a good idea. Occasional dreams are to be expected but 3 times a month is too often at 3 years later.

Do you have any other symptoms (flashbacks, startle, irritability etc that might indicate PTSD or depression?) I do not think that visiting the grave at this late date will help you much. I hope you will consider talking to a mental health professional, there may be more going on.

In general, aggressive treatment the earlier the better is what really helps with dealing with trauma and preventing long term effects.

You can PM me if you want to talk some more,

Good luck,

Virginia

I totally agree. Yes, it was a bad experience. You wouldn't be human if it didn't effect you.

I disagree. This is nothing worse than most medics will face more than once in a career, and most never suffer any ill effects from it. It's never bothered me in three decades, nor most of my friends. Do you really think that the vast majority of EMS providers are inhuman?

Some can handle it. Some can't. There's no shame in not handling it. Humans are all different in their sensitivities and limits. But likewise, there is nothing inhuman about being able to cope with tragedy without losing it.

You know what i somewhat agree with all of you, but lets look at the big picture here. This happened three yrs ago... so what she hasn't seen anything like it since? She is supposed to wash out due to one call? Please thats just stupid!!!!

I was first certified as an EMT-A in 1992 ... i have been round the block and seen a few things in my career. But you know the one thing that wakes me up at night is a call that happened about four yrs ago. so what am i supposed to quit after 16yrs because a call still bothers me ? I dont hardly think so. Im not saying that Dust and the others are hardened inhuman freaks, they maybe freaks but then again we all are in EMS, but like Dust said, as humans we are different and handle things differently.

Ashley, get help if you feel you need it. yes i would look at a possible change in career but not until i exhuasted all doubts that this is not what you really want to do. thats what i had to do. As you can see, Im still here.

Ok gentlemen lets get that testosterone under control!!!

How many of you actually have seen a baby that has been killed by his mother?

Ashley I presume you are a female coming to the age of considering motherhood, its no wonder this is bothering you.

Again I hope you will get some psychotherapy before even thinking of changing careers.

Virginia

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.