Difficulty With a Nurse

firedoc5

Getting "dirtier" isn't the point. And getting "dirtier" has nothing to do with what I'm saying. My point is that some think just because think they have responded to a handful of calls and stayed in the back and had the patient brought to them doesn't make them more"experienced" then others. There's been many that have got out there and got "dirty". And most of them don't brag that they are more experienced because of that.

Of course they brag about it. And YOU are the reason they do. Because you guys run around spouting this same nonsense everyday, trying to impress the nurses with your "500 foot cliff" and "face down in a ditch" and "upside down car" stories, they naturally assume that is the only level you can comprehend. Just like talking to a child, you have to adjust your communications efforts to an appropriate level. And this macho crap is the level you have set for us. Thanks a lot. That's why we are seen as nothing more than knuckledraggers instead of medical professionals.

If nurses heard a lot more stories about pathophysiology and less about the ditches, you wouldn't have to worry about them trying to get down on our level. But then, that would require us to move up to their level. And frankly, few medics are capable or willing to do that.

Of course they brag about it. And YOU are the reason they do. Because you guys run around spouting this same nonsense everyday, trying to impress the nurses with your "500 foot cliff" and "face down in a ditch" and "upside down car" stories, they naturally assume that is the only level you can comprehend. Just like talking to a child, you have to adjust your communications efforts to an appropriate level. And this macho crap is the level you have set for us. Thanks a lot. That's why we are seen as nothing more than knuckledraggers instead of medical professionals.

If nurses heard a lot more stories about pathophysiology and less about the ditches, you wouldn't have to worry about them trying to get down on our level. But then, that would require us to move up to their level. And frankly, few medics are capable or willing to do that.

Man, I'm not going to get into a p!ssing match with you. Whose trying to impress anyone? I'm not. I don't brag about anything. The only time it's mention is when certain nurses do start to brag or impress colleagues. Some try to make it seem that they are more "superior" of a nurse than others. I wasn't trying to compare medics to nurses, just nurses comparing themselves to other nurses. I've notice that some nurses try and out do the other. That's all.

I never intended to get this into a heated debate.

Peace

Nurses don't brag about how dirty they get or how much they have to lift. Those hefty 300 - 800 pound patients that some EMS crews transport in will have to be turned, transported and cared for many times a day by a nurse. Very few hospitals have the luxury of a lift team and those teams are usually only on day shift. Yes, there is lift equipment but the patient is still going to need placed on the lift pad. It is also impractical to get the lift equipment out for all bowel movements. If the patients are on special beds such as air mattresses, moving any patient can be difficult. And then, you have equipment of all types on all sides of the bed attached. Patients also have a way of falling when they weigh more then 350 pounds in hospital bathrooms.

Nurses also do not brag about the messes they see on a daily basis that would make many EMTs and Paramedics run away. Even the blood from an HIV patient can still make a Paramedic run in fear and yet they don't realize the number of times they have started an IV on an innocent looking Hep C patient. Nurses constantly clean up blood from pulled IV and art lines along with other body excrements. Who do you think cleans up all the street people that EMS teams bring in? And then, they have to retrain them to use a toilet.

Of course, hospital staff does not brag about anything they get into because it is part of their job and they have total patient care to worry about as well as their own physical well being.

After working in both worlds, the muddy ditch doesn't seem too bad. I do however draw the line when it comes to Florida canals. Fire Fighters with their protective dive gear can brag all they want about their jobs and I will definitely respect them.

Oh, and by the way, Dust. I wasn't referring to what I've done in the past to "get dirty". I was referring to all those medics that have done things like that, and more. And it's not bragging. It's pointing out that there is a lot more to EMS experience than just responding to all call. And a lot do get down and "dirty". But there are those that don't that think they are just as experienced.

Asjed a nurse the other night for a fax number so my dispatcher could fax directions to us, because me or my partner TOES 975, has never been to this place, she threw the papwerwork at me and huffed off and sadi "the ambulance drivers need a fax number", that really pissed in TOES's Wheaties.

If you dont lime your job, go somewhere else

Asjed a nurse the other night for a fax number so my dispatcher could fax directions to us, because me or my partner TOES 975, has never been to this place, she threw the papwerwork at me and huffed off and sadi "the ambulance drivers need a fax number", that really pissed in TOES's Wheaties.

If you dont lime your job, go somewhere else

If you can't type in a coherent manner. Go somewhere else. Or use spellcheck, dear God!

Zippy your whole argument stems from the lack of registration for Technicians (EMTs). Are you seriously suggesting that a Physiotherapist or Chiropodist is better placed to deal with a pre-hospital emergency than a Technician? They are after all registered with the same body who register Paramedics (the HPC).

You cannot argue that simply because you are registered, you are more qualified and equipped than a Technician. You (that's YOU not anyone else) are not allowed to prescribe or administer any drug which has not been prescribed by a doctor for a specific patient.

Unless i'm an indepdent prescriber...

or have a relevant PGD ...

or it;s a schedule 7 drug...

or it's 'technician ' drugs which could be given in the same lregally grey means as techs do...

or it;s a 'P' list med oe GSLA med ( nitrates are P list ...)

St Johns might not value Technicians very highly

but I can assure you that the rest of the healthcare world does.

Prior to registration, were Paramedics any less professional than they are now? Prior to registration, Paramedics still had the right to supply and administer drugs without reference to a doctor unlike nurses who can't even administer oxygen unless it is prescribed by a doctor. You cannot argue that some nurses have prescribing rights because we are not talking about "some" nurses we are talking about you. All registration did was affirm that Paramedics are accountable to a body rather than just their employer.

you are incorrect in all your assertions here

All registration does is create an extra level of accountability; nothing more, nothing less.

exactly...

I seriously suspect that you are jealous of any healthcare professional who has more autonomy than you which is apparent from your blatant attacks on any non St Johns and non Nursing staff. You have attacked junior doctors before, Technicians and Paramedics and now you are attacking an entire country's healthcare system.

Seriously, go back to school and be a <http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a> it's what you really want to do after all.

hmm other than practice placements to consolidate a few skills that i have but can't declare full competence on and access to a small list drugs which could be PGDd or dwarfed by access to the near enough full BNF via indepdent prescribing ..

I don't mean anything personal but I am sick and tired of reading posts from people (not just you) attacking my profession. A profession which I am extremely proud to represent and which is my life. I wouldn't do anything else and I get so mad when nurses act superior when in fact we have far more autonomy. You are the doctor's bit ch get over it.

as someone who

undertakes invasive procedures on my own initiativate

is an IR(ME)R referrer

adminsters medication on my own initiatives

i really don't see what i gain from your suggestion.

the primary issue here which you seem to have ignored is a failure to recognise that Nurses can and do do everything you can do and more ...

your lack of insight into nursing is remarkable... iI would remind you of the quotes imade earlier from the code of professional Conduct particularly

"1.3 You are personally accountable for your practice. This means that you

are answerable for your actions and omissions, regardless of advice or

directions from another professional. "

the other interestign fact is that despite your assertions that nurses are 'Doctor's bitches' you are required to hand over to Nurses becasue it;s the Nurses who undertake initial assessment and initial management in both the emergency department and Assessment unit setting ...

Zippy talks crap in all forums he frequents. He feels that ferrying around grandma's for routine appointments is "experience in pre-hospital care" :roll:

Here in the UK, nurses may be registered but they are far from autonoumous as Zippy suggests. Almost all clinical interventions/ prescriptions/ administering of meds need to be authorised by the Dr first. Outside of Hospital, they can only practice to the level of an EMT (basic)...sure they can start an IV, but they cannot push anything through it without a script. No advanced airway interventions (RN's don't intubate here, that's for Paramedics or Doctors). So, at the scene of an RTC, an RN here wouldn't be much use to us other than for taking C-Spine control or applying dressings. To be fair though, there'll be 20+ Firemen that can do that for me so help not needed thanks! Whether Zippy likes it or not, if he gets in the way on scene he can and will be removed.

Paramedics here are fully autonomous and work under their own licence. They can practice even when they are not on duty - and, indeed, would be expected to if needed.

I have the utmost respect for Nurses, they are good at their job and it's one I couldn't do...that's why I'm a Paramedic.

I have the utmost respect for Nurses, they are good at their job and it's one I couldn't do...that's why I'm a Paramedic.

This is about the only respectable comment in this discussion..at least after it got past the initial comments.

As said before..two different jobs and, most of the time, two different types of individuals do them. The bickering never ceases to amaze me.. :roll: