Difficulty With a Nurse

firedoc5

Zippy you don't have a relative in the US who goes by NREMT-B do you? Because the two of you sound an awful lot alike.

Blimey! We've been bloody infiltrated! :shock:

Is there a lucid point associated with this egotistical rant?

Not really, I had simply decided to crawl into the gutter with Zippy for a bit. By the way dust, I already mentioned skilled nurses such as yourself in an earlier post. I have a very tame ego and am respectful of those deserving respect. An idiot with the misguided notion that a nursing license gives her/him superior clinical ability and especially outside the hospital is unworthy of my respect.

Its highly unlikely that zippy has more education and experience than many lowly paramedics she/he seeks to degrade. I was merely trying to illustrate that not only do many paramedics have a great deal of education, but also are cross-trained in technical rescue, search and rescue, vehicle extrication, collapse rescue, trench rescue, hazmat EMS, high and low angle rescue, swiftwater rescue not to mention virtually all of the silly alphabet classes the nurses are certified in. You, of all people, know this better than most. I suppose the point is not only can we deliver excellent care but we can deliver that care under very adverse conditions.

I am a bit suprised by the fact I was drawn into this silliness with someone who doesn't even live in the US, therefore her/his opinion and $4.99, (US) will get you the Big Mac Special at McDonalds.

Fair point, and well taken.

I just cringe when I hear medics trying to elevate themselves with stories of daring-do, when the 500 foot cliff run comes along about twice in a ten year career. And even then, we just wait for the firemonkeys to drag them up. As if working outdoors somehow makes up for the lack of education. Seriously, it's a lot easier to do than the shyte nurses have to put up with. And those stories just perpetuate the hero lie that draws so many wankers to this field in the first place. Consequently, I am as tired of them as you are of Zip.

I think we're both justified. :wink:

As if working outdoors somehow makes up for the lack of education. Seriously, it's a lot easier to do than the shyte nurses have to put up with. And those stories just perpetuate the hero lie that draws so many wankers to this field in the first place.
Here! Here!

Yes, it's more physically demanding being in the field, but stuff like being knee deep in shyte treating a patient is just manual labor stuff. Yes, it's not easy and not everyone can do it, but it's not the skill/talent portion of your job...that portion can be done with enthusiasm by the day laborers hanging outside Home Depot and proficiency at it doesn't get close to comparing with proficiency in the more mental/academic/problem-solving (both book-smart kind and street-smarts kind) portions of the job.

Zippy your whole argument stems from the lack of registration for Technicians (EMTs). Are you seriously suggesting that a Physiotherapist or Chiropodist is better placed to deal with a pre-hospital emergency than a Technician? They are after all registered with the same body who register Paramedics (the HPC).

You cannot argue that simply because you are registered, you are more qualified and equipped than a Technician. You (that's YOU not anyone else) are not allowed to prescribe or administer any drug which has not been prescribed by a doctor for a specific patient. St Johns might not value Technicians very highly but I can assure you that the rest of the healthcare world does.

Prior to registration, were Paramedics any less professional than they are now? Prior to registration, Paramedics still had the right to supply and administer drugs without reference to a doctor unlike nurses who can't even administer oxygen unless it is prescribed by a doctor. You cannot argue that some nurses have prescribing rights because we are not talking about "some" nurses we are talking about you. All registration did was affirm that Paramedics are accountable to a body rather than just their employer.

All registration does is create an extra level of accountability; nothing more, nothing less.

I seriously suspect that you are jealous of any healthcare professional who has more autonomy than you which is apparent from your blatant attacks on any non St Johns and non Nursing staff. You have attacked junior doctors before, Technicians and Paramedics and now you are attacking an entire country's healthcare system.

Seriously, go back to school and be a Paramedic it's what you really want to do after all.

I don't mean anything personal but I am sick and tired of reading posts from people (not just you) attacking my profession. A profession which I am extremely proud to represent and which is my life. I wouldn't do anything else and I get so mad when nurses act superior when in fact we have far more autonomy. You are the doctor's bit ch get over it.

I've had nurses, MICN or pre-MICN, talk about how experienced in the field. I have nothing against nurses discussing that, but it's the one's bragging about it. Me and some of my fellow medics have stepped in and pointed out that unless they have laid in a ditch with water up to there shoulders in 35 degree water holding someone's head up out of the water for 30 minutes, or having to be in a car where they were doing extrication, cutting the car away from the two of you, or doing CPR on a shooting victim on the scene where the gunman was still taking pot shots at people, THEN they could say how they had more in-depth experience in the field.

I've had nurses, MICN or pre-MICN, talk about how experienced in the field. I have nothing against nurses discussing that, but it's the one's bragging about it. Me and some of my fellow medics have stepped in and pointed out that unless they have laid in a ditch with water up to there shoulders in 35 degree water holding someone's head up out of the water for 30 minutes, or having to be in a car where they were doing extrication, cutting the car away from the two of you, or doing CPR on a shooting victim on the scene where the gunman was still taking pot shots at people, THEN they could say how they had more in-depth experience in the field.

And that makes you a better healthcare provider? I think not.

My mechanic gets dirtier than you everyday, and has more education and experience too. Big deal.

And that makes you a better health care provider? I think not.

My mechanic gets dirtier than you everyday, and has more education and experience too. Big deal.

Getting "dirtier" isn't the point. And getting "dirtier" has nothing to do with what I'm saying. My point is that some think just because think they have responded to a handful of calls and stayed in the back and had the patient brought to them doesn't make them more"experienced" then others. There's been many that have got out there and got "dirty". And most of them don't brag that they are more experienced because of that. And I'm not saying that about all MICN's or RN's.

And definitely no disrespect, Dust, but...lighten up. Are you always so negative and judgemental? After all, we are all friends and colleagues here. And besides, how do you know how dirty I get? And besides, a mechanic get's dirtier in a different way than a medic would.