Difficulty With a Nurse

firedoc5

Has anyone ever had difficulty with a nurse or other medical staff? We had one ER nurse that gave everyone a hard time. She made a comment one night that she would prove a medic wrong even if they were not. And we were standing right there. :angry4: Most of the docs didn't like working with her. Some had gone as far as refusing to work if she was there. I don't know if she had a power trip or something or what, but making a call up or giving report directly to her was very frustrating. And she would purposely try to trip you up with questions. Maybe she had an inferiority complex or something. She was a wide as she was tall. She seemed book smart but when it came to practical skills she was useless. Who knows? :dontknow:

I had an incident last week where I had a problem with a nurse outside of the ED.

We got called to intercept with a neighboring squad for 51 y.o. male chest pain, hx of MI 3 years ago. We go, intercept with the other agency, and I bring my equipment into the back of their ambulance.

There are 3 people in the back, which I find a little strange. One woman immediately begins to place the electrodes on the guy. I figure she is a basic with this department and is helping me out. I don't think anything of it.

I begin to get my IV supplies out, and am laying them on the stretcher. I put my IV bag away, turn around and the woman who was hooking up the monitor has a tourniquet around this guy's arm, looking for a vein.

I stood there stunned for a few seconds, just as she was reaching for a cath I said, "Excuse me..."

Her response, "I'm an ER nurse, I have ACLS..."

My response "That doesn't mean anything in the back of an ambulance, please move..."

At that she got very upset and told me that I had "Better get it..." in reference to the IV.

Turns out the patient was her brother, and she felt that since he was her brother and she was a nurse, she could start an IV.

At no point did she identify herself as a nurse to me, until I caught her that is.

It really p&#!ed me off. But I felt I handled it in a very good way, I didn't complain to her supervisor or anything, because she wasn't working so what were they going to do? For the rest of the ride though, she sat up front.

there are always difficult nurses. my favorite is when someone takes a radio report and asks either A) something you just said(we have an iv established. "DID START AN IV?")

or B) something completely unrelated to the patients condition just so they can hear themselves talk on the radio(BGL on a chest pain or pupils on a leg laceration)

havent run into anything quite that bad, but we have a patient we consistently bring in for random illnesses, shes 104. Last time I brought her in I gave my report to the hospital by radio and one of my coworkers heard the call in the hospital as he was there doing paperwork from an earlier call and he said that they laughed when I said she was a 104 y.o female pt of doctor so-so and thought that I was mixing up age and pulse. Nurses looked pretty shocked when they looked at my paperwork.

Couple of things, being licensed as both. Control the scene, don't let the scene control you. Three people in the back of the unit not including my partner is two too many. Sorry family or not. If she raised the stink of being a nurse and a sibling, then I would inform her that she should obviously know better and as well that she/he is NOT licensed away from their facility. But thanks... anyway :wink:

In regards to the trouble maker nurse, I would forewarn her that it is a two way street. That you would prefer not to be in pissing match. That there are far more medics that can witness and testify on her delivery of care and attitude to patients as well. Just point out, that EMS witnesses her care far more than she witness theirs and give a big -o-smile.. B) . In fact, I highly suggest to talk to the Charge Nurse about this and have her witness the statement, I doubt she will go forward.

There are arses in every profession. Chances are she probably was an EMT first.. it appears many of those with an attitude usually was an EMT before hand.

R/r 911

Speaking of EMTs, I was riding with two paramedics to a middle school where an 11 y/o had injured his ankle. BLS was there before us and had the patient all splinted up and ready to go. It was a matter of picking him up, putting him on the cot and going to the hospital. I was at the end of the cot and was being very careful to make sure I had a good grip (11 y/o and about 160 lbs). An EMT literally pushed me out of the way and raised the cot. When he was done I turned to him and said "Thanks" (he did help). He said " and who are you?" I replied "My names Kaisu, and I am a paramedic student doing my ride time here." He responded with "oh great - another paragod in the making". I sincerly thought he was kidding and I smiled and said "Goddess". He said "Step on my feet and you will find out you're human pretty quick". I bit my tongue and walked away.

Speaking of EMTs, I was riding with two paramedics to a middle school where an 11 y/o had injured his ankle. BLS was there before us and had the patient all splinted up and ready to go. It was a matter of picking him up, putting him on the cot and going to the hospital. I was at the end of the cot and was being very careful to make sure I had a good grip (11 y/o and about 160 lbs). An EMT literally pushed me out of the way and raised the cot. When he was done I turned to him and said "Thanks" (he did help). He said " and who are you?" I replied "My names Kaisu, and I am a <http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a> student doing my ride time here." He responded with "oh great - another paragod in the making". I sincerly thought he was kidding and I smiled and said "Goddess". He said "Step on my feet and you will find out you're human pretty quick". I bit my tongue and walked away.

Yea, I know the type. My usual response would be, "Oh, Bite Me" :thebirdman: Which I've done.

How many who dispatch, report, while on a notification to the ED, saying "Cardiac arrest, CPR in progress (age sex ETA)" and the "charge nurse" on the telephone insists on an answer to "What's the BP, pulse rate, and respirations?"

my post must not have made it earlier

There is no way that anyone should be subjected to beratement or a nasty attitude unless they deserved it.

posted earlier, go to the charge nurse and discuss it with them. If needed you should file a formal complaint.

Get co-workers as witnesses and corroborating evidence and go forward with it.